Quantcast

Saints for $175

J

JRB

Any 104 bcd bashguard will work, right??

Tempting...

*waiting on Wumpus to come make me look foolish. :think:

J

JRB

Actually - these would add nearly a 1/2 pound to my bike over the old octalink M752 or whatever cranks wouldn't they???

J

JRB

johnbryanpeters said:
I have no idea. I'm running LX now, never got into weighing components.
Best guess would be they would add 200 grams. No huge deal, but I don't know how much better they would be than my XTs that I have now. I don't weight much either, but that seems like a place I don't want to add any more if it's not needed. They would be on my trail bike, and that seems overkill I guess.

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
Jenson has been giving out some pretty good deals, I just got a z1 fr III for $280.00 a few weeks back.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
Question...anyone here destroyed a pair of the new XTs on a DH bike? I'm tempted to swap them from my XC bike to the DH bike, simply because of the uber-stiffness over my FSA V-Drives.

nmjb

Monkey
Apr 26, 2005
Idyllwild, CA
chicodude said:
Question...anyone here destroyed a pair of the new XTs on a DH bike? I'm tempted to swap them from my XC bike to the DH bike, simply because of the uber-stiffness over my FSA V-Drives.
I have seen one get twisted bad. I was riding with a guy who caught a huge root with his drive side XT crank arm/pedal. It twisted the crank arm beyond repair.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
i weighed my tapered Middleburn RS-7s with bolts, rings, and steel chainring bolts today. came out to 680 grams. tack on 230gr for a bottom bracket and...i'm surprised Saints weight only 200 grams more.

i'm rethinking what cranks i'll run on my DOC now.

loco said:
Best guess would be they would add 200 grams. No huge deal, but I don't know how much better they would be than my XTs that I have now. I don't weight much either, but that seems like a place I don't want to add any more if it's not needed. They would be on my trail bike, and that seems overkill I guess.
Group Model Weight, grams Weight, pounds Weight, ounces
XT FC-M760 860 0.391 6.25
LX FC-M580 927 0.421 6.74
Hone FC-M600-3 928 0.422 6.75
Saint FC-M800-3 1,194 0.543 8.68

J

JRB

My XTs are the older model and weigh in a little more than 900 gr I believe, but I don't guess I need stouter cranks right now.

Yeah, I have older LX octalinks and I suspect that the older BBs are heavier. But - we're talking a difference here of 2.5 ounces between XT and Saint. I weigh 164, so let's see - 2.5 ounces is .01% of my weight, 0.08% of me and the bike, ignoring clothing, pack, whatever...

The weight difference is not worthy of consideration.

J

JRB

johnbryanpeters said:
Yeah, I have older LX octalinks and I suspect that the older BBs are heavier. But - we're talking a difference here of 2.5 ounces between XT and Saint. I weigh 164, so let's see - 2.5 ounces is .01% of my weight, 0.08% of me and the bike, ignoring clothing, pack, whatever...

Stop trying to talk me into it. My XTs are brand new.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
johnbryanpeters said:

There is no way those pound and ounce numbers are right. Half a pound for a crank set???

Using the gram numbers XT=860 and Saint=1194. That is 334 grams OR 12oz.

Fredzilla

Monkey
Aug 5, 2003
Seattle
Thanks for the head's up on these... ordered this morning, just got a tracking # that says they'll be here Thursday. Sweet.

bjanga

Turbo Monkey
Dec 25, 2004
San Diego
How is bashguard compatibility? I got a decent deal on the two-ring Hones a week or so ago, then the Jenson flyer showed up :clue:

Oh well, the I drool when I gaze upon the Hone 'set.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
i just ordered some. i can't believe how cheap they are. i can't get them that cheap at the shop i work at. including the shipping. insane.