Quantcast

Salmon Recipes??

riverside73

Monkey
Nov 29, 2004
My neighbor gave me a big ass salmon yesterday. It's the whole fish, just missing the head and is frozen. I have never been a huge fan of salmon, but I think there are some recipes out there that could make me drool on myself. So I want to make sure I do this up right. Once I thaw it and filet it....where should I go from there. Grilling on the BBQ would be my preferred method of cooking.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
I did a 1/2 salmon on the grill last week, (whole fish, not fillets) just a little evoo on the skin. It came out fantastic You must be absolutely diligent about time and temp so it doesn't dry out. The second 1/2 I did wasn't so great, I had a hard time keep the grill cool enough, and it dried out.

gg

luvz2ridez

Monkey
Jul 19, 2006
Shoreline, WA
Ok, here's the best grilled salmon recipe:

Best to marinade for at least an hour before grilling.

for the marinade:
1/4 c. balsalmic vinegarette
2 tblsp. honey
2 tblsp. mustard
chopped up shallots
salt
pepper

I don't really use measuring cups, so the ingrediants amounts are approximate and to your own personal preferance...

Wrap in aluminum foil and grill on low about 10 min or so.

Qman

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
My neighbor gave me a big ass salmon yesterday. It's the whole fish, just missing the head and is frozen. I have never been a huge fan of salmon, but I think there are some recipes out there that could make me drool on myself. So I want to make sure I do this up right. Once I thaw it and filet it....where should I go from there. Grilling on the BBQ would be my preferred method of cooking.
It depends on the fish for me.
Early-mid season, fresh Kings or Sockeye I usually just throw some salt pepper and lemon slices on it, wrap in foil and on the grill. If I have more time, I layer a baking dish with foil, lay some slices of red onion and rosemary sprigs in the bottom then put the fish in. Layer the top of the fish with lemon, more red onion, crushed garlic, another rosemary sprig and salt & pepper to taste. Cover the dish with another sheet of foil and grill or throw in the oven at about 400 degrees. This one is pretty good for later season sockeye or coho.

I rarely marinate salmon because I like to taste the fish. Especially if it's Yukon or Copper River King.
Some of the best salmon I've ever had was fresh Copper River Kings with no seasoning cooked over hardwood coals and some Yukon King that we cooked the same way on a sand bar in the middle of the Yukon River just north of Dawson City one night.

With a fish that big, you might consider having a bunch of friends over, cook it in one piece with evoo, lemon, s&p and have your friends bring all the fixins for fish tacos.

Willy Vanilly

Monkey
Jul 27, 2003
San Jose
I've had some really good salmon along the lines of what Transcend said. The only thing that I remember being on there that he didn't list are some capers and artichoke hearts. Salt and pepper the fillet to taste, squeeze the lemon juice on there and throw the peel in there as well. Add some artichoke hearts and capers and cilantro. Wrap it all in foil and either BBQ or stick it in the oven for like 10, 15 min.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Here's what I'd do: Take half the salmon and put it in a deep dish. Place 1 cup sugar, 1 cup salt, 1 chopped orange , 1 chopped lemon, small bunch chopped dill in a blender and blend until all combined well (leave it going for a few minutes). Completely cover the salmon fillet with this mix and leave to cure overnight. The next day, rinse or brush off the mixture and enjoy home-cured salmon. Serve in thin slices. Lovely.