Quantcast

Salsa Bikes Stolen!!

Guitar Ted

Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
Waterloo, IA
From Salsa's blog...........

"I'd also like to know why people take things that do not belong to them. You see, coming back from Interbike, one of our Dirt Demo trucks was stolen and we lost a crap load of new 2007 frames, bikes and products. Dealers and Salsa fans, if you see any of our new Orange Dos Niner or Red or Brown Ala Carte frames for sale or being ridden, it is probably hot since these are not available to the public. Please keep us posted. It was a huge loss for us."

Hopefully the perpetrators are brought to justice!

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
This sucks - but it still makes me wonder how do you lose a whole truck?

I hope the thieves are caught and prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

hitekrdnk

Monkey
May 15, 2006
Pretty disgusting but not at all unusual for that to happen unfortunately. I think it was two years ago that a WB employee at the time had his whole scene ripped off on the way back from Ibike to GJ but they did end up recovering a bunch of it. Stuff gets ripped off every day all night and the fact that they are somewhat rare items to those of us in the bike world makes little difference to the "opportunists" that steal them because I bet they don't even know what they have, nor care.

I just talked to Nate from Monkey Wrench because I heard his bike got nabbed and he had it well secured, it just got left a bit too long in the dark apparently.

The thing that baffles me is where it all ends up because as much as this sort of thing happens you rarely hear of the recovery of the bikes themselves which would stick out like a sore thumb at any venue where real bikers congregate. I guess they end up in some chop shop and if they ever do surface are so far removed from the original thieves there is no way to get to them to stop them from doing it again, and again and again.

I have always thought that bike thieves should be treated like horse thieves in the old days though, but our society would rather kill for oil now.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I do know of one story where several Balfa Team and Demo bikes were recovered, but yeah, where do these "rare and proto bikes" end up.

People probably steal the stuff and then don't have a friggin clue as to what to do with them.

I wonder if it was stolen in the night while people were sleeping or something? Because it would seem to make sense to always have someone in the truck watching the precious cargo (at least during daylight hours). Perhaps it was during a sleepover en route back to Salsa headquarters (MN is it?).

nalax

Chimp
Oct 2, 2006
I wonder if the larger bike shows might present themselves as easy targets for thieves. It's not the first time that a truckload of product has been ripped off.

Sometimes I wonder how safe my bikes are at races and bike gatherings with lots of bikes piled around. After a few beers, security can become lax.