Quantcast

Sam Hill back to WC DH?

fwp

Monkey
Jun 5, 2013
According to Sven on Neethling's moving the needle podcast. I know he's just a camera guy but we can cross our fingers?

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Honestly can't see Hill being a podium contender at world level anymore racing bikes of any sort.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Honestly can't see Hill being a podium contender at world level anymore racing bikes of any sort.
Wasn't he was on track for 4th at the EWS last weekend till a front flat?

I wanna know if Moir is gonna be back racing DH. He's finishing with Canyon apparently, so maybe will be back doing more DH?

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Where did you read or hear that? I thought it was a rather successful affair.
Vital team rumours.

Yeah I thought shit was pretty amicable. Maybe he's worth more now or they don't make a bike small enough for a 6'3 rider anymore.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
The guy was a top enduro dog 3 years ago. He had a few off seasons but be real. Using that logic we should have discounted Gwin already.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
The guy who dominated the sport for three seasons... Age caught up with and the following 3 seasons failed to even make the top 30? Not even being the fastest rider on his team.
Yes. That guy.

You do realise its fine to have opinions that differ from yours?

Gwin hasn't proven himself to be back up there with a true chance of winning again (yet) either.

I haven't actually completely discounted either of them. I simply can't see it happening.

Good to see you're still over reading into pretty much every comment I make. That never gets tiresome.

Last edited:

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
The guy who dominated the sport for the seasons... Age caught up with and the following 3 seasons failed to even make the top 30? Not even being the fastest rider on his team.
Yes. That guy.

You do realise its fine to have opinions that differ from yours?

Gwin hasn't proven himself to be back up there with a true chance of winning again (yet) either.

I haven't actually completely discounted either of them. I simply can't see it happening.

Good to see you're still over reading into pretty much every comment I make. That never gets tiresome.
Naah fam. I just disagreed with you and used Gwin as an example of someone who had a few seasons of bad results only to come back to contention. So yeah it's fine to have a different opinion. As is fine for me to disagree. No need to overreact.

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Your over reading has never managed to raise any more emotion from me than a half arsed eye roll or shrug bro.
Sorry to disappoint you.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Did someone piss on everyone's cornflakes this morning?
Naah. Gary is just absolutely not mad at me for our previous spats and he has assured me multiple times his reactions to him are not anger. As he said "that's just him being scottish".

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Some people enjoy racing even if they don't podium, it would be sweet to see him back on a big bike.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Naah. Gary is just absolutely not mad at me for our previous spats and he has assured me multiple times his reactions to him are not anger. As he said "that's just him being scottish".
That’s rich. Blame your behaviour on your culture. At least when I visited I had a good experience, but that did come along with a more than one interaction of racist slurs and chants of “go home” … I was 12 at the time.

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
The guy was a top enduro dog 3 years ago. He had a few off seasons but be real. Using that logic we should have discounted Gwin already.
norbar,these Monkey’s have already Discounted Gwin,with all due respect,you knew that.

Avy

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
i agree with both these statements.
Yeah.
Very few WC race runs in the history of DH racing have been as exciting as many Hill laid down when he was on it! I honestly don't think I can comprehend being able to see Sam ride his style at the pace of the likes of Amoury on the tracks we have now. In many ways it's almost a different sport.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
previous spats
I wouldn't even begin to consider any interaction with you as anywhere near as confrontational as a "spat".. To me you're just a guy I've corrected a few times after talking absolute shite online. Just so happens you completely lose your shit when corrected! This and your inability not to over read into everything I say is what alerted me to ask you about your rather obvious learning difficulties. Which ironically caused you to lose your shit even more and bombard me with vitriolic PMs.
It's honestly no big deal to me and I really can't be bothered dragging it up again or reading any of your shit so please just move on. Eh?

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
i agree with both these statements.
Imho Hill could still compete if he is really pushed himself. It's easy to be an armchair coach here but it seems like he has nothing to prove so maybe he's not motivated enough and he doesn't enjoy the process of competing and training for it as much as Greg does? But i know nothing. Everyone finds their motivation differently.

norbar,these Monkey’s have already Discounted Gwin,with all due respect,you knew that.

Avy
I have also discounted Gwin. For some reason I was one of those people that was never a fan of his and that clouded my judgement. Gwin was for ma a sign of DH changing from creative lines winning races to a focus on maintaining speed. Some tracks around his times have changed but Gwin brought an inevitable change. I just didn't like it so me not being a fan meant I thought he's done. I don't think he is. Though I did think he is done when he started to become homey Gwin (at least looking at his SM)

I wouldn't even begin to consider any interaction with you as anywhere near as confrontational as a "spat".. To me you're just a guy I've corrected a few times after talking absolute shite online. Just so happens you completely lose your shit when corrected! This and your inability not to over read into everything I say is what alerted me to ask you about your rather obvious learning difficulties. Which ironically caused you to lose your shit even more and bombard me with vitriolic PMs.
It's honestly no big deal to me and I really can't be bothered dragging it up again or reading any of your shit so please just move on. Eh?
I simply disagreed with your point. I have moved on. I thought you did too so I decided to respond to your post for a first time in a while. Then you somehow decided to mention our past talks. You keep bringing the past up like we're some troubled lovers or something. Then again. You are free to mention "me overreading/misreading/etc" every time I disagree with you. I can't control that. Hope you're good anyway.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
How has WC DH "changed"?
MSA?
Fort William?
The stop watch?
Cause that's who you're racing. The stop watch.

I'd love to see Hill come back and race. I don't give a fuck if he's 20th. He's still faster than any of us.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Hate to be the wrinkled sack to point out that Hill was not competitive for the win in World Cup DH BEFORE he quit and went to enduro all those years ago. And that is coming from someone who likes him as much as you guys do. Plus, he ain't got shit else to prove anyway.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Hate to be the wrinkled sack to point out that Hill was not competitive for the win in World Cup DH BEFORE he quit and went to enduro all those years ago. And that is coming from someone who likes him as much as you guys do. Plus, he ain't got shit else to prove anyway.
his last full season of WC DH racing was 2016 and his best result was 21st. he placed 18th at the only one he raced in 2017.

he managed to get 6th at the 2017 world champs, but that was cairns.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I simply disagreed with your point.
and that would be absolutely fine if you could stick to that without the continual need to create "extra" points seemingly written only in your mind.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
How has WC DH "changed"?
Bikes are vastly different from Hill's dominant racing years and along with those changes in bike geometry, sizing and wheelsize speeds have increased and riding styles have adapted.
Sizing and Geometry wise Sam was basically still racing an Iron horse Sunday the first two years he won the EWS. And suspension wise basically an old Mad Catz SGS.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
How has WC DH "changed"?
MSA?
Fort William?
The stop watch?
Cause that's who you're racing. The stop watch.

I'd love to see Hill come back and race. I don't give a fuck if he's 20th. He's still faster than any of us.
His speciality were never MSA/FT William tracks. True he still won on them but his biggest wins were on tracks like Schladming, Champery, VDS and only VDS is here. I also remember him making comments just before switching to Enduro that what bothered him about DH was doing the same tracks every year. Since that basically meant you were doing nearly the same lines so even if you had something good one year, the next year everyone did that.

Not to mention now big teams have guys with stopwatches on the track who might spot your line, time it and relay it. So you don't get as many personal lines

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
his last full season of WC DH racing was 2016 and his best result was 21st. he placed 18th at the only one he raced in 2017.

he managed to get 6th at the 2017 world champs, but that was cairns.
There was a dirt interview in 2016 where he said he wasn't motivated for DH. I wonder if he is coming back because he is motivated again or just to try. Not really stoking up the hype of him suddenly being on the podium. He probably won't be anywhere close and it's more of a try. My bet is if he really does some races he will try 2023 as a test run and to see if he wants to make another attempt at full commitment. Then dunno. Would probably be hard to catch up to the current fast guys and most probable place with a fully fit and commited Hill would still be low teens. But it's really all speculation. We didn't talk to him, we don't know him. We don't know if he stays on the same team. We know nothing so it's all inaccurate af.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
@Avy don't be salty. its the truth.

View attachment 182534
Tbh. What's even weirder is him placing 21st on the Mega. But yeah I agree with you. With the info we have now we should not expect a world beating result. Just putting an asterix since if you are demotivated it's defo influencing your results.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Hill complained about UCI track styles changing over his career a few times in interviews. I dimly remember it as him disliking "bikeparky" tracks, but I could be wrong.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
he wouldn't be alone.
They also really don't favor his type of riding. Yeah in his peak he still won on those but generally he was never the fastest rider on jumps and berms but we had this discussion here over a milion times. Bikeparks are fun to ride for a while but I get why he wanted to switch to Enduro. Hell I'm on the same bandwagon. My eyebrows may be thin but the OG brow knows what's good.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Maybe he just wants to ride with his DH buddies a few more times around the globe before he retires?

Maybe the same mental thoughts are happening with him in terms of EWS races having climbs and whatnot in the middle of them.

Maybe he's bored?

No matter the reason, does he has any UCI points to actually race next year? Or do EWS points count?