Quantcast

Sam Hill back to WC DH?

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Some people enjoy racing even if they don't podium.
I reckon in the 150-200 MTB races I've done, I've been on a podium less than 10 times. It never ceases to surprise me that some people won't enter unless they're guaranteed a top spot.

I’d just be stoked to see him race DH again, he doesn’t need to be in podium contention for me to enjoy it.
Shit yeah. Surely no one in the MTB world would be against seeing Hill back out there regardless of where he placed. Nukeproof has a new DH bike as well so they'd love the coverage he would generate.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Question is, would he qualify given the new rules. Is it top 30 only now?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I reckon in the 150-200 MTB races I've done, I've been on a podium less than 10 times. It never ceases to surprise me that some people won't enter unless they're guaranteed a top spot.

Shit yeah. Surely no one in the MTB world would be against seeing Hill back out there regardless of where he placed. Nukeproof has a new DH bike as well so they'd love the coverage he would generate.

Know what is more fun than racing non-competitively?

Just going for a ride.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Know what is more fun than racing non-competitively?

Just going for a ride.
Yeah but I just go for a ride a few times every week. Sometimes its fun to chuck a plate on and push yourself. Other times I'd rather a day sessioning shit with my mates and then having a BBQ and beers. They're not exclusive options.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
Bikes are vastly different from Hill's dominant racing years and along with those changes in bike geometry, sizing and wheelsize speeds have increased and riding styles have adapted.
Sizing and Geometry wise Sam was basically still racing an Iron horse Sunday the first two years he won the EWS. And suspension wise basically an old Mad Catz SGS.
And he still won races!

According to you, he hasn't touched a modern bike in YEARRRRRRSSSS then, huh? You should race him on your ebike and prove to us that he's old, outdated and can't ride at the WC level.

What's he have to prove to Gary-the-great?

It's his choice so why do you care?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Yeah but I just go for a ride a few times every week. Sometimes its fun to chuck a plate on and push yourself. Other times I'd rather a day sessioning shit with my mates and then having a BBQ and beers. They're not exclusive options.
I enjoyed racing for many years, but when I got the point where I wasn't competitive and "racing for fun" I found it wasn't very fun.

konastab01

Turbo Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
I’d just be stoked to see him race DH again, he doesn’t need to be in podium contention for me to enjoy it.
Problem is sponsor want results to a certain degree, and if the WC changes will be still be able to qualify.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Some people literally dropped categories to get the top spots here.
Then again a lot depends of the vibe on the races. The local scene kinda put me off from racing. Too many stressed people. I hear it's better now.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
correct. extra bonus: you can ride however long and wherever you want and don't have to pay money and be surrounded by assholes!
I only raced a couple of years at a really easy track and I found most of the people to be pretty decent and pre race banter can be funny as fuck.
Couple of beers after it is all done and it's a good day out.
I also enjoyed having people look down on me because I rode a hardtail, the odd smart ass would make a snide comment on my bike and ask what time I ran.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Problem is sponsor want results to a certain degree, and if the WC changes will be still be able to qualify.
Sponsors want visibility not results. There is a reason why CG could keep high level sponsors way after he stopped getting top results. People still recognized and liked him. Hill is not as marketable as he isn't a "personality" but still he has enough fans to get sponsorship support on a decent level.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Brands do like champs names on their kit tho. If they can still flog that dead horse years after its won anything or Infact done anything even vaguely interesting said "name" has been a good investment. And if you're entire premium range of components has that name on it you'll likely hold onto the reigns as long as the shit will sell.

cozzy

Chimp
Aug 3, 2019
Would rather see him full time e-ews where he would likely do well.
He entered one a short while back, had a good result and seemed to enjoy it.
Plus it would get many salty tears flowing from the ebike haters :brows:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Haha
He didn't do well.
He didn't enjoy it.
Because it's fucking stupid.
Hence the return to DH rumour

fwp

Monkey
Jun 5, 2013
Sam Hill doesn't need to prove anything, he was hands down the fastest rider of a generation. How many guys can honestly look back on their careers and say that? Nico, Hill and Gwin. 3 guys in 30 something years. I wouldn't care if he did well, it would just be great.
In a sport where privateers can sneak a top 20, Hill could do well on the right track in the right conditions I wouldn't count him out.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Man I dunno about that hey. There's plenty of really well paid influencer types and stuff that don't even race, at least not competitively. I reckon if you looked at which riders get paid the most or have the most sponsors vs their results on a spreadsheet the correlation would be all over the place.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Against who?
Be realistic
Lol he won 7 out of 14 stages and got beaten by 10 times DH world Champion Nico V. Fucken terrible day out. Especially losing time on the the climbing/power/e-bike manufacturer dictated bullshit stages that are decided solely by the motor you have.

Get your hand off it Gary. Thats fucken awesome.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Lol he won 7 out of 14 stages and got beaten by 10 times DH world Champion Nico V. Fucken terrible day out. Especially losing time on the the climbing/power/e-bike manufacturer dictated bullshit stages that are decided solely by the motor you have.

No.

It's sad.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Would rather see him full time e-ews where he would likely do well.
He entered one a short while back, had a good result and seemed to enjoy it.
Plus it would get many salty tears flowing from the ebike haters :brows:
I'm not sure what's worse e-bike haters or people who spend all their time talking about e-bike haters.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007

Gary knows better if Hill enjoyed it than any off us. He talked to a mossy rock or did some other XIX century juju.

Tbh. I don't know or understand E-Biking but from what you say there needs to be some motor standarization.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
It happened 20min drive from here. No juju required.

Motor standardisation wouldn't really be required if the stages were all actually downhill.

As it is its a gong show

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Motor standardisation wouldn't really be required if the stages were all actually downhill.
They'd have to do something to stop people winning it on normal bikes then. Make the stages super physical or something, but the last thing the lizards want is someone making a mockery of their new cash cow.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Eh?
Ebikes just take the misery out of climbing. They're no faster or slower descending.
Remember when Enduro was short for Gravity Enduro?

There's nothing good about any sort of climb in a gravity event.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Eh?
Ebikes just take the misery out of climbing. They're no faster or slower descending.
Oh I'm not arguing man. Just saying that's why they put climbing stages in the EWS-E. Apparently if you sprint the bikes till the limiter kicks in they're pretty horrible once assistance dies off? I remember Nico V won one EWS-E stage on the same second as Adrian Dailly won it in the EWS, but aside from that the stages are normally done slightly quicker on the normal bikes.

Amen to that all the way. Enduro stages are plenty physical anyway

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Apparently if you sprint the bikes till the limiter kicks in they're pretty horrible once assistance dies off?
Only because they weigh 55lb and generally have DH compound tyres.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
Eh?

Limited ebike killed sections I normally sprint hard
However unlimited I'm sure I'd crush my normal times

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I'm rolling in here just to refute that. I did a clunker race with him in Mammoth a few years back. Dude was stoked, and said it was one of the most fun races he had ever done. Seemed to be a happier person the rest of the weekend after that.
well cam zink said it in a youtoob video. and they are neighbors.