Quantcast

Sam Hill & Brendan Fairclough on Specialized

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Yeah not trying to name drop and score points with anyone here,becauae really I don't give a **** if you think I'm cool or in the know, or whatever...I was just giving you some information without giving away too much...and I was wrong again, it actually has a monster can headtube, and an ice maker on the bike, so they ate always ready for podium appearances with an ice cold monster....

I'm gonna go smell the pillow he slept on now....

I think your ghetto blaster and beer feed zone is cool.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Yeah not trying to name drop and score points with anyone here,becauae really I don't give a **** if you think I'm cool or in the know, or whatever...I was just giving you some information without giving away too much...and I was wrong again, it actually has a monster can headtube, and an ice maker on the bike, so they ate always ready for podium appearances with an ice cold monster....

Does it have something to fry bacon with?

Apologies for being a jackass!

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Yeah not trying to name drop and score points with anyone here,becauae really I don't give a **** if you think I'm cool or in the know, or whatever...
i think you should drop more names. like i heard you once changed Kyle Strait's pedals, or those other times when you lubed Duncan Riffles chain and bled Rando's brakes, or maybe that time you gave me some Michelin tires at a WC race.

actually, i think i might be the one name dropping on that last one; watch your feet. :eek:

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark

Ridemonkey is littered with people who claim all sort of things so don't take it personal if there are people who doubted you. Just keep it going and feed us with more info. I will be very interesting to see the development of the bike(s).

sayndesyn

Turbo Monkey
Not sure if it came across right, but I was actually saying that you had no reason to lie or drop names for the sake of it.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
First apologies for the typo....

Secondly that is the first round prototype that was done around the time of Crankworx that he rode publicly for the first time in Australia, if I'm not mistaken.

I have had Brendan staying with me on and off for the last month, and his bike is at my house now, so along with the fact I've been told by him that is one of the changes they are making, I can see it...

Cool, I hope you dont think I was trying to call you out on being a BS artist, I was just curious how you came about that info. I am glad Speccy will be going away from an offset 135, and getting an actual 150 on the back. Those are some changed I am glad to see coming.

Like I said, I was just curious where you came across those particular peices of info. Thanks for clarifying.

ArthurGreen

Chimp
Jan 23, 2008
Poland
"BikeRadar contributor Callum Jelley joined the pair in San Diego for a look at their new Demo 8 downhill racing bikes and tried to keep up with them on a cross country ride on the famous San Juan trail."

NoUseForAName

Monkey
Mar 26, 2008
Heres the link to that article if anyone is interested:

Bike radar

No mention of 150mm back ends or 83mm bb shells, i guess they are trying to play up the "stock"ness of the bikes right now.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Made a phone call, it "will" eventually be stock to have those, Sams Bike still doesnt have it yet.
Finally, their current set-up is really poor. I would be a good 40% or demo riders have the wrong cranks on their bikes because of the stupid 73mm bb.

Maybe this will be a start of 'S' caring if their bikes are compatible with stock componentry (shocks, cranks, bbs, chainguides, etc).....

wood booger

Monkey
Jul 16, 2008
the land of cheap beer
"BikeRadar contributor Callum Jelley joined the pair in San Diego for a look at their new Demo 8 downhill racing bikes and tried to keep up with them on a cross country ride on the famous San Juan trail."

Sam and Brendan were having a "carve-off" on this turn. Brendan w/ foot out moto style (you can see scuff marks in the dirt from his foot), Sam w/ both feet on pedals.

Mr. Hill got so leaned over and mean one one run that his bar actually dug into the ground and he ate it. The man is a savage at turning a DH rig.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Finally, their current set-up is really poor. I would be a good 40% or demo riders have the wrong cranks on their bikes because of the stupid 73mm bb.

Maybe this will be a start of 'S' caring if their bikes are compatible with stock componentry (shocks, cranks, bbs, chainguides, etc).....
That would be why they have been speccing them with Howitzer BB's and cranksets. I just listed this for Zark about the same issue on an older v10, there are ways to make the 83mm cranks fit the 73 mm BB to get the "near" correct chainline for the bike

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
That would be why they have been speccing them with Howitzer BB's and cranksets. I just listed this for Zark about the same issue on an older v10, there are ways to make the 83mm cranks fit the 73 mm BB to get the "near" correct chainline for the bike

I know, it just seems a bit stupid when there is only a single bb option available that will fit the entire demo lineup....that weighs a ton, and relies on a press fit interface that can be prone to wear. The chainline/bb width precludes the use of ANY lighter weight 73mm cranks.

It is not like ISIS just went out, and 83 X 150 has been THE DH/FR standard for at least four years. Spec has had 3 years to correct their own cobbled together mess with this particular model....but if you look at the rest of their line it is more than obvious they care nothing about how their frames/bikes interface with standard MTB parts....

CROW-BAR

Chimp
Dec 9, 2008
Marva
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryBoy View Post
So is Sam still sponsored by Gravity or Truvativ now?
Who the hell cares.
Sam is gonna kick arse no matter what bike/pedal/cranks/tires/bra/or brow shaver he's usin. Guys, get a clue, it's fixed!!! I know a guy at the UCI that knew that Greg Manure was gonna win by the first WC. Pro tip: Next year is in the bag for Sammie.

BTW. Saw the new Specialized DH rig.. Can you say Commencal??? You heard it here first.

Anyhow, anyone else want to get all up in Racheal Atherton. I'd like to split her like a cord of wood....again.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
I know, it just seems a bit stupid when there is only a single bb option available that will fit the entire demo lineup....that weighs a ton, and relies on a press fit interface that can be prone to wear. The chainline/bb width precludes the use of ANY lighter weight 73mm cranks.

It is not like ISIS just went out, and 83 X 150 has been THE DH/FR standard for at least four years. Spec has had 3 years to correct their own cobbled together mess with this particular model....but if you look at the rest of their line it is more than obvious they care nothing about how their frames/bikes interface with standard MTB parts....

Yeah I know, thats actually why I dont ride a Demo. Not because I dont like the Howitzer, I actually am quite fond of it. It just pisses me off everytime someone comes in with "I must have bent my Chainstays, the wheel doesnt fit right" when someone buys a set of wheels online, and I have to explain about the offset in the back, and redish there wheel for them. Or they cant understand why there chainlines are off, "I ordered the parts right after I measured the BB with a caliper", and I have to eplian about the offset giving the bike the Chain for a 150 rear end ETC...

As far as teh weight of the Howitzer BB, I know its heavy, but I still have yet to break mine, and for me thats a big plus. Its center mass rotation, and its sprung weight, so it really doesnt effect the ride much at all, more so the overall weight of the bike. For my size, if it weight a bit more but its seriously strong so I am ok with it. I know some people had also had issues with it wearing the bearings, or having free float from side to side, or not rotating smoothly when all tightened up. All of those so far have been the shell is out of spec, eother toothick, or too thin. for some reason this BB is pretty peticular to BB shell width, and straightness