Quantcast

Sam Hill & Brendan Fairclough on Specialized

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Seems odd that they would go back to an upper-link driven shock, whent hey put in so much marketing fluff about how much better it was to drive it from the chainstays...

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
it does indeed and while up untill now i've been thinking ill get a new pair of boxxers i just saw that photo and was reminded of the old ZZYX for some reason.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
it does indeed and while up untill now i've been thinking ill get a new pair of boxxers i just saw that photo and was reminded of the old ZZYX for some reason.
Its neither in a puddle of oil nor partially assembled......no resemblance to a ZZYZX:banana:

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Not going to quote everything

The tires on the bike in the first photo...Speccy Chunders. I sell more than a few, actually in teh SX version, there a damn fine tire

While I dont know the Specifics of Sams bike, you can see some differences tat were mentioned in this thread already, IE shock mounting. That tieing into the stock/ custom confusioon..... If all you ahve to do is change a shock shuttle, or swap a part or two, it would still be considered a stock bike as long as you can purchase the same parts for yourself.

As far as anyone saying the Demo8 is not good for DH, go try one, while I may not like the feel of the FSR, it does work well, it tracks well, it gets up and gets down.

I think Sam will be riding maxxis for sure once they are in full swing, its what he is used to, it is what he knows, its what he likes.

About teh Speccy tires, they work well, they really do. I really like there SX dual compound. soft in teh center, extra soft on the sides. That and I got them from Kyle Strait, he was pissed at me when he saw me running an Intense 4ply at teh first Cal State race in FOntana this year, thats when I started with a chunder in the front, and shortly after that, a Clutch in the rear. Names are goofy, but they work well.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I'm guessing that a lot of what makes the HA appear so steep in that picture is lens distortion from the picture being shot at a low focal length.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Wel, since noone else did this yet, lets put them side by side

Biggest thing I can see between the stock photo and the "sam" photo, is the shock shuttle that isnt there. Looks like he got his cusom work mostly right there. Other than that, it looks pretty much like the rest is well, stock. Other than of coarse the 2010 Boxxers that are not available yet. Going to pull some fork height specs here in a few, will post them up when I find them

EDIT... for clarification, the first pic is Sams<Duh> Second is the Demo82 prodution, third is the demo8

Last edited:

Natedog

Monkey
Nov 8, 2003
Ventura, Ca
I'll shed some light onto what is and isn't custom as far as geometry goes...

They clearly have they're own Angles, WB etc...

But changes to the frame itself are:

No sock "shuttle"
Tapered HT
83mm Shell
150mm rear end

and thats all...nothing groundbreaking until they get all of the angles finalized, then the move onto the new frame design...

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
whats the point of the tapered headtube or are rockshock making a tapered steererd boxxer for them.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Seems like the link on Sams bike is different too. Looks bolted together rather than one piece. Might be a custom sized job to alter geometry or suspension, hence the need to bolt it together for now?

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
I would love to see the exact geometry numbers that Sam gets on this bike.
My 08 Demo 8 was the only bike I have ever sold mid-season because I could not get used to it, but it was in the geometry and not the suspension. The suspension worked great, was more linear, and flew over the rough stuff.
It could have been a regional thing for me, but I could not get used to the long wheelbase. It was 47.3, and I am all about low and slack bikes, but the HA combined with the wheelbase put the front wheel way out there. Combine that with the short rear end, and I could not adjust to it. Then again, I have good friends that love the thing, so it could have just not been for my riding style.
I wonder if Sam will get crazy geometry adjustments like shortening up the front center, and lengthening the chainstays and all that.
Specialized could easily get him the same geometry he had on his custom Sunday with the only difference being the suspension. I hope they post up the numbers.

AtTheGates

Monkey
Mar 5, 2003
Seems like the link on Sams bike is different too. Looks bolted together rather than one piece. Might be a custom sized job to alter geometry or suspension, hence the need to bolt it together for now?
I think that may be Mg link vs. Al link. I remember reading somewhere that one is bolted together and one is not.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
I think that may be Mg link vs. Al link. I remember reading somewhere that one is bolted together and one is not.

Yup, you're right. just looked on the Spec website and the Demo 8 has the 3 piece mag link, the Demo 7 uses the one piece aluminum link. Shows what I know about Demo frames other than they have short chainstay, are ugly looking, and have ugly paintjobs.

NoUseForAName

Monkey
Mar 26, 2008
Something is funky about that first photo, looks like various things are 'off'. The angles of the horst link, the angles of the front end, then angles of the linkage. I say it's just lens related, not 'Sam Hill' related.

BTW - Specialized in the UK are clearing out Demo 7 frames - anyone who wants to jump on the SH bandwagon right now can get an awesome deal.
I just ordered mine, so it wil be 2005, 2006, 2009 on Demo frames (8, newer 8, then 7).

NoUseForAName

Monkey
Mar 26, 2008
This one?

Excuse me while i swear for a couple of minutes ***** ***** **** *** ***** **** ***** ****** **** where **** **** **** the ***** *************** *** did that come from?

Has someone at SBC been reading my dreams?

**** the ****ing bed. That looks ****ing sick.
Low CofG, stiff, but it looks like the IC would be wrong for the application?

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Not sure where that drawing came from..I think it was some random person drawing their 'dream' interpretation of a future S bike.....I sure hope it has nothing to do with the direction S is taking..

I would be truely scared to grab the rear brake on that thing....dont think the chain interaction would be to fun either.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Yup, you're right. just looked on the Spec website and the Demo 8 has the 3 piece mag link, the Demo 7 uses the one piece aluminum link. Shows what I know about Demo frames other than they have short chainstay, are ugly looking, and have ugly paintjobs.

It is the difference between the Aluminum and Magnesium link.

It isnt a difference between demo8 or demo seven, its a difference between Demo8 and Demo 8 2, same for the seven, Demo 7 and demo 7 2. The two would be the higher end models with the magnesium link.

I put up the picture of the Demo8 to compare it with another boxxer on the front, I will post up the demo82 in just a second.

I edited the original with an extra pic, so scroll back up

Last edited:

Supa8

Monkey
May 3, 2002
Middle of MA
Demo 7 II has the two piece mag rear link as well. I now have one built up next to my 08 Sunday. The down tube is from a Demo 7 (FD cable guides ) and so would seem the 1.5" HT.

Demo 7 has a lower stock BB than the demo 8. Demo 7 makes a great race frame when set up right. 7.7" is plenty of rear travel. This bike I am sure has a few tweaks that you would not see unless you laid a stock frame image over the "Sam special". Great bikes.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
I'll shed some light onto what is and isn't custom as far as geometry goes...

They clearly have they're own Angles, WB etc...

But changes to the frame itself are:

No sock "shuttle"
Tapered HT
83mm Shell
150mm rear end

and thats all...nothing groundbreaking until they get all of the angles finalized, then the move onto the new frame design...
Not that I am a no believer, but I am curious where you aquired that particular info

Natedog

Monkey
Nov 8, 2003
Ventura, Ca
First apologies for the typo....

Secondly that is the first round prototype that was done around the time of Crankworx that he rode publicly for the first time in Australia, if I'm not mistaken.

I have had Brendan staying with me on and off for the last month, and his bike is at my house now, so along with the fact I've been told by him that is one of the changes they are making, I can see it...

rowlands

Monkey
Nov 26, 2006

Secondly that is the first round prototype that was done around the time of Crankworx that he rode publicly for the first time in Australia, if I'm not mistaken.

I have had Brendan staying with me on and off for the last month, and his bike is at my house now, so along with the fact I've been told by him that is one of the changes they are making, I can see it...
A picture is worth a thousand words :lighten:

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007

I have Sam Hill's bike sitting at my house right now.

Course he's not my friend, I stole it from him and welded it to a table and turned it into "Modern art" - No pics aloud! What's your excuse?

ronan

Monkey
Dec 7, 2007
Toulouse, France
gonna need some pictures for this one

10bucks the excuse is, 'hes gone now'

AlmostHeaven

Turbo Monkey
Jun 8, 2005
VIRGINIA
You guys are morons and have no idea who Nate is. Shut your pie holes.
lol no sh!t.

seriously, just because someone makes a claim to be friends or whatever with a pro rider and has knowledge of future changes to a frame (that you don't), you automatically shoot him down and dismiss anything he says as false just because you're all jealous that it isn't you! unbelievable.

some people drink entirely too much Haterade. pull your heads out of your asses and get over the fact that you *gasp* AREN'T the coolest person in the world!

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
lol no sh!t.

seriously, just because someone makes a claim to be friends or whatever with a pro rider and has knowledge of future changes to a frame (that you don't), you automatically shoot him down and dismiss anything he says as false just because you're all jealous that it isn't you! unbelievable.

some people drink entirely too much Haterade. pull your heads out of your asses and get over the fact that you *gasp* AREN'T the coolest person in the world!
Actually, not to toot my own horn or anything, but I am the coolest person in the world.

But you guys are right, with the 40,000 idiots you find online claiming to be friends with somebody (who actually have never met them), a good policy is to believe every one of them when they say they know such and such, just in case they're that one person. I'll happily eat my own words, sounds like natedog actually knows what he's talking about, and that's pretty cool, but I'm not going to believe him just as a matter of policy. Its not e-hate.

Anyway, nothing personal nate. Sounds like you actually know what you're talking about, cool to hear some details!

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Actually, not to toot my own horn or anything, but I am the coolest person in the world.

But you guys are right, with the 40,000 idiots you find online claiming to be friends with somebody (who actually have never met them), a good policy is to believe every one of them when they say they know such and such, just in case they're that one person. I'll happily eat my own words, sounds like natedog actually knows what he's talking about, and that's pretty cool, but I'm not going to believe him just as a matter of policy. Its not e-hate.

Anyway, nothing personal nate. Sounds like you actually know what you're talking about, cool to hear some details!
I'd say in most cases people on here are pretty honest about their affiliations. I can't remember who said it (Seplavy maybe?), but the mtb industry i basically a loose connection of dickheads and deadbeats. there aren't too many degrees of separation between factory teams and the general public, nor are the stake so high that everything is kept secret (the exception being when contracts might be violated).

sure there are a few cowboys on here but most people with 'connections' are legit, it's pretty easy to figure out who's who. not sure what people making stuff up hope to accomplish, the dh industry isn't big enough or important enough for anyone to be impressed.

sayndesyn

Turbo Monkey
indeed. In this sport being friends with a top pro rider makes you about as famous as someone waving in the background of the today show.

"not sure what people making stuff up hope to accomplish, the dh industry isn't big enough or important enough for anyone to be impressed."

Natedog

Monkey
Nov 8, 2003
Ventura, Ca
Yeah not trying to name drop and score points with anyone here,becauae really I don't give a **** if you think I'm cool or in the know, or whatever...I was just giving you some information without giving away too much...and I was wrong again, it actually has a monster can headtube, and an ice maker on the bike, so they ate always ready for podium appearances with an ice cold monster....

I'm gonna go smell the pillow he slept on now....