Quantcast

Sam Hill closes out season top-5 overall in UCI World Cup Series.

Oct 20, 2009
<p>The 2012 Downhill MTB World Cup season wrapped up this weekend in Hafjell, Norway and Monster Energy Sror</title>
<link>http://www.i-am-specialized.com/road/news-article/chris-anker-s--rensen-in-the-rearviewmirror</link>
<description><![CDATA[<p>Team Saxo-Tinkoff popular Danish rider, Chris Anker Sørensen delivered a memorable effort in the past summer's Tour de France where he repeatedly was away in marathon mountain breakaways. Here, he gives his reflections on the year that has passed and he gives an insight into his hopes for the upcoming season.</p><p>
</p><p>
<b>How did you like the team building session?</b></p><p>
</p><p>
"It was great fun and finally we had football with the program. I've been waiting for seven years to get the chance to flash my Norwich City shirt so obviously it was quite a joy for me. The atmosphere was pleasant and the new riders seem to have settled in already. In general, Bjarne (Riis) general is good at finding new riders who fit right in.”</p><p>
</p><p>
<b>What are your expectations for 2013?</b></p><p>
</p><p>
"I gotta say that the quality of the riders we have on the team for the upcoming season is top notch. The opportunities to pull in victories through the whole season are significantly increased. I'm looking forward to seeing how Kreuziger (Roman) will develop. He will certainly be a big help for Alberto in the big races but I'm sure that he at some point will get a chance of his own during the season. The wide range of quality riders also makes it harder to get a spot in the Tour de France line-up than was the case this year. I'm not sure of getting a spot. Of course, I would really like to do the Tour de France. It is the biggest race existing and to be able to win overall with Alberto would be the biggest highlight of my career. But we have a lot of great riders this year and my spot in the line-up depends on my own performance in the spring. Therefore, I also hope to do well in the Tour Down Under which I'll be doing for the first time in January and later on, I'm taking on the Ardennes Classics.”</p><p>
</p><p>
<b>What are your conclusions of 2012?</b></p><p>
</p><p>
"It has been a very special year for us without any significant results until the very end of the year. I haven't done the results I wanted but I'm proud of my performance in the Tour de France where I targeted the mountain jersey and was on the chase in all mountain stages and at the same time I was able to finish 14th overall. But it took a long time for me to get in the right shape due to the crash in Israel last year and the illness that marred my spring season when I pushed myself too hard to get back into shape. All in all, we have performed well from the Tour and for the rest of the season where we took our abilities to another level.”</p><p>
</p><p>
<b>What has been the biggest surprise in 2012?</b></p><p>
</p><p>
"There have been several surprises this year but I'm probably most surprised by the strength and sovereignty of Team Sky during the Tour. But also Sagan (Peter) was tremendously powerful over a longer period and in terrains that normally doesn't suit him well. At our team, most riders performed as usual or a bit below standard but I think that Michael (Mørkøv) surprised most people with his campaign during the Tour. Actually, I was afraid that he would break during the last few weeks because of the effort he delivered at the start of the Tour. But it was amazing that he was able to inspire us all and take the lead like that in his debut while completing the race in style. "</p><p>
</p><p>
<b>How do you prepare physically and mentally for the season ahead?</b></p><p>
</p><p>
"Right now I primarily ride on flat stretches to get the legs going again and then from now on, I put on more kilometers. Primarily, I'll be careful not to gain weight over Christmas but my body fat percentage hit 5 at the end of the team building and if It can stay there over Christmas I'm satisfied. In November, I rode no more than 700 kilometers. In December, my goal is to hit 2500 km with low intensity intervals which are gradually intensified as the month progresses. If the weather is horrible, I'll be inside on the home trainer and I like to go mountain biking when I'm in Denmark to avoid the cold wind that has a grim impact on a slim guy like me. Mentally, spending time with my family helps me unwind.”</p><p>
</p><p>
<b>What does your family do for your career?</b></p><p>
</p><p>
"My family is most important. They support me no matter what. When things go bad they are there for me and during success, they're happy for me. I get both my good and less than good cycling performance into perspective when I get down on the floor with my daughter who is just happy to see me regardless of how I perform on the road. In this way, I distance myself from a bad experience on the bike. The family is the most important in my life. "</p>

More...