Quantcast

Sam Hill Injured?

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
Maybe the promoters/federations should do a better job, then the sponsors would come back as racers would actually want to attend races in the USA? You know, treat the racers like your customers, not your indentured servants.

On that note, let's be clear, DH racing is THRIVING outside of the USA. It isn't the rest of the world's fault the US' governing body sucks.
I could not have proven my point any better.

Our Downhill news source says "US governing body Sucks!" Step right up, who wants to finance the next offering.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I could not have proven my point any better.

Our Downhill news source says "US governing body Sucks!" Step right up, who wants to finance the next offering.
USAC does NOT WANT TO DEAL WITH GRAVITY EVENTS. Period. End of story. They are the governing body for all cycling events in the USA, so this isn't going to change anytime soon. In fact, they changed their name to get more money this year, so that they officially cover all events as opposed to NORBA, USSCF etc.

They are quite happy to take your money and hand things off to a third party and not deal with it. They chose to hand things off to TBB, and things went downhill (har har) from there.

This has been gone over dozens of times. Use the search or something. The entire series is a joke, and if I was an outside sponsor, I too would tell them to take a hike if they approached me. It's an absolute embarrassment and i would not want to be involved in it in any way. Can you blame riders and teams for not showing up to an event where they get overcharged, treated like crap, yelled at by promoters and then have nopayout or points at the end of the day?

The Canadian National series is MUCH smaller. Yet we have cash payouts, E2 clasification and thus, UCI points. There is no excuse for TBB not shelling out the prize money and paying the fees to be UCI classified. They CHOSE not to to make more profit.

Our federation detests us just as much, but when the opportunity came about that there was another world cup in NA to be situated, they jumped at trying to get a few resorts to host it.

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
The only reason this entire thread/topic exploded as such is because someone erroneously reported that Sam was confirmed to be racing the event and then phrased it as such for some people to assume he welched out to go to Vegas. Sam is under no obligation to compete in NMBS races. If he wants to hit one as part of his training program or for the heck of it, well of course we'll support him at it. We have other athletes who are sponsored to be brand ambassadors for these events.

If none of this was falsely reported and Sam just showed up, saw his buddies and the ams ride, then went to Vegas there would be little discussion over the whole thing other than perhaps a passing comment about "oh and I saw Sam in the pits in Fontana". If anything, Sam should be given credit for going out to Fontana at all instead of just going to Vegas for the SX & training for a few days. Instead a false report turned into assumptions which then turned into rants & attacks about sponsors, events, and USAC/UCI crap in general.

We all like to collectively bitch about the lack of "outside sponsors" in the sport of cycling but then when an outside sponsor makes a basic request for one of their athletes to attend a function for their company we attack it. If more outside sponsors were part or the sport you'd see a lot more of this. The sponsors want face time with their athletes too and to promote them in diverse ways not exclusively in the context of a race event.

In a way this all sorta reminds me of when your favorite local band gets signed, goes big, and then stops playing local clubs and bars. The scenesters and friends feel dissed in a way that their little secret now had to be shared with everyone and they get bitter over it.

I could go off on several long winded debates/arguments/explainations on the statements made by several posters here today but honestly, I have had a long day, I am physically and emotionally tired, and it will just prompt a longer drawn out debate. If anyone feels compelled to discuss specific beefs/issues/questions/comments shoot them to me by email and I will answer them directly.

In the future, rather than individuals posting BS or assumptions regarding Sam, the team, or Iron Horse in general just ask me personally and if I am able to discuss the topic you know I probably will. Over the past 6 or so years that I have been involved here on Ridemonkey, you all know I have held little-to-nothing back or filtered my feelings, be them good or bad.

-ska todd

SlackBoy

Monkey
Apr 1, 2002
Wellington, New Zealand
USAC does NOT WANT TO DEAL WITH GRAVITY EVENTS. Period. End of story. They are the governing body for all cycling events in the USA, so this isn't going to change anytime soon. In fact, they changed their name to get more money this year, so that they officially cover all events as opposed to NORBA, USSCF etc.

They are quite happy to take your money and hand things off to a third party and not deal with it. They chose to hand things off to TBB, and things went downhill (har har) from there.

This has been gone over dozens of times. Use the search or something. The entire series is a joke, and if I was an outside sponsor, I too would tell them to take a hike if they approached me. It's an absolute embarrassment and i would not want to be involved in it in any way. Can you blame riders and teams for not showing up to an event where they get overcharged, treated like crap, yelled at by promoters and then have nopayout or points at the end of the day?

The Canadian National series is MUCH smaller. Yet we have cash payouts, E2 clasification and thus, UCI points. There is no excuse for TBB not shelling out the prize money and paying the fees to be UCI classified. They CHOSE not to to make more profit.

Our federation detests us just as much, but when the opportunity came about that there was another world cup in NA to be situated, they jumped at trying to get a few resorts to host it.
Heck even lil ole NZ can stump up a few E2 races every year with there national series with 150-200 riders racing.

SinatorJ

Monkey
Jul 9, 2002
AZ
Let it be known that if you live anywhere in the southern half of the United States right now, either coast...Downhill racing is dead.

That series needs to be called the Northeast Coast Gravity Series.
Thank god for Colorado, or I would have no Racing near the dirty AZ. Can't figure out why in a state with so many mountains and 4 ski resorts there is no racing. Go figure.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
To be honest, once RC retired, do not have much interest in 'going' to the races. Plus we get enough SX riders and wives in the store so I get my fill.
I will be at fontucky camping out in our RV, cause the fans love it. Guarantee my family and I will be the only people there to 'spectate'.

forget the 450's, the 250 class is where it's at this season. The shootout in Vegas is gonna be insane. I wouldn't miss it for the world. RV, BT, J-Law, Dungey, Morais, Lange....there's about 8 guys ready to battle hard.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
forget the 450's, the 250 class is where it's at this season. The shootout in Vegas is gonna be insane. I wouldn't miss it for the world. RV, BT, J-Law, Dungey, Morais, Lange....there's about 8 guys ready to battle hard.
I will be in fontucky, with sattelite in rig, watching the race live-wont miss a thing...but you are right, 250 class finale will be great.