Quantcast

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Easy bloodhounds. I never said Hill couldn't win without IH. I said if he wasn't on their team, he could've been unlucky enough to get on a crap team and be able to get where he is today. DUH!

And you guys are tards for taking my words out of context. Maybe you want to look at the prior year's SGS DH to see how much of a jump it was in comparison to the previous model. Nothing special...but WAY better than it's predecessor. A lot of things fell into place for alot of people who worked incredibly hard.

One correction. I've been advised Madcatz was not lucrative and pretty underfunded. Again...goes back to alot of hard work by a LOT of people.
You could have stated it in a bit more clear way that maybe you would have to call anyone a tard ;) Ease of as no1 intended any harm.

BTW. About Lance vs Hill comparison. If sb put so much $$$ on advertising as on Lance maybe he'd be more recognisable ;) I haven't seen him speak once even though I watched tours regularly.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Lance is on TV talk shows all the time. He does interviews with mainstream print too. I think this is a big reason for the upswing in road biking that has occured over the last 5 years.
It's definitely helped his cause that US riders are still managing to make a dent in the results column too. Tyler hamilton, Floyd Landis, Hincapie, etc...some oozing juice mind you but heh. The only person that juiced and doesn't have a job is Barry Bonds. :rofl: granted in road, US riders get stripped of titles for things like blood doping & synthetic testosterone.

In MTB, we're still so damn lame our doping record is:
World Cup Winner - Failed Pot test
1st US National Champ - Failed Pot test
World Championship Winner - Failed to hide Pot properly

norbar said:
You could have stated it in a bit more clear way that maybe you would have to call anyone a tard Ease of as no1 intended any harm.
tard is a cute, adorable little reference to all my peeps using fuzzy puppets for avatars.:thumb:

As for the biggest single 1 year paycheck, Stik knows. He's just not said. My guess would be Lopes, Palm, Peat in that order. In terms of overall money made...Lopes, Peat, Schley.

Cranx

Chimp
Aug 6, 2008
The guy may just be an introvert. Why do people take that as a bad thing? He may just love riding and not be bothered with the whole "having to be a showman and outspoken just because he's a sponsored rider" thing. You can see the discomfort in his body language and his face whenever he has to do an interview.
You are spot-on there. Sam is a very shy person and he doesn't find it easy to give interviews, let alone be a showman for the camera. He loves riding and that is why he's there. His talent just happens to put him in front of the cameras a lot.

Dec 11, 2007
Lawn Dart Training Center
I guess I will have to sell my Demo 8, since it will be the next bandwagon bike. I don't want to be accused of going with the "In Crowd". Some of us like to be the black sheep, and not another Iron Horse Sunday rider.

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
In the hills around Seattle
I am going to guess missy while at Cdale at the top of the one year list.
I remember reading an article about her in a non-mtb magazine about 10 or so years ago. It said she made over $1 mil the previous year with all of her combined sponsors. It did not break it down though.

I thought Palmers contract just from Spec. was for around $750k a year? Then he had other sponsors too.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Lance is on TV talk shows all the time. He does interviews with mainstream print too. I think this is a big reason for the upswing in road biking that has occured over the last 5 years.
Comparing Lance and Sam Hill is like apples and raisins.

Lance was in the media intensive world of road racing and his level of maturity after his cancer treatment is much higher than a 23 year old.

I'm sure Sam Hill is a great guy, but Lance was in a position not to just help Trek, but to change the world, and he did.

Last edited:

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
I'm pretty sure Palm got $250K per year, but it only lasted 2 years. not sure on this one but the $750 may have been over a 3 year deal.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Any more rumors on where the famed "DW link" is going? I'd always heard that Hill would follow the DW suspension, but everyone's still playing the suspense game(like the shiitty Staccato 8 flop) so no one knows. I remember DW saying something like "...can't say where it's going yet, but you guys will like it..."

I'm not going to like it if Spec Ed is getting it. But maybe better than Norco or Kona or some crap. I'm sure DW doesn't care, money's money. But I would find it interesting to see a them BUY a suspension design after sueing(sp) anyone with anything even RESEMBLING the FSR design. And THAT'S funny cuz it sucks!

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Oh f*cking DUH! Geez....how the hell did I forget that! My bud's a Spec salesman too, so everything is FSRFSRFSR followed by a short history of the damned design. I KNOW this, man!

Hey...anyone read the tags at the bottom when you're doin a Quick Reply??? Purtay funnay...
And Yes. I'm drinking alcoholic beverages.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I can't begin to say how sick it would be to see Hill on an M6. Well unless they make him run their stupid crappy tyres.

It would suck to see his potential being compromised by ****house equipment.

davet

Monkey
Jun 24, 2004
I can't begin to say how sick it would be to see Hill on an M6. Well unless they make him run their stupid crappy tyres.

It would suck to see his potential being compromised by ****house equipment.
I was told once that his frame sponsors are just that - frame sponsors. He has separate deals with SRAM, Maxxis, Funn etc. for everything else.

That may be just gossip though

Santa Maria

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007
Austria
Any more rumors on where the famed "DW link" is going? I'd always heard that Hill would follow the DW suspension, but everyone's still playing the suspense game(like the shiitty Staccato 8 flop) so no one knows. I remember DW saying something like "...can't say where it's going yet, but you guys will like it..."

I'm not going to like it if Spec Ed is getting it. But maybe better than Norco or Kona or some crap. I'm sure DW doesn't care, money's money. But I would find it interesting to see a them BUY a suspension design after sueing(sp) anyone with anything even RESEMBLING the FSR design. And THAT'S funny cuz it sucks!
Rumor has it that it will be released at crankworx......but i personally don't believe that. So we will have to wait for Eurobike!

What do you mean with stacatto flop? I bet this will be the pedal.

cubebiker

Chimp
Apr 9, 2008
I thought it was already announced that DW Link will be at Turner next year.
That would be great, always wanted to try a Turner...

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
What do you mean with stacatto flop? I bet this will be the pedal.
I absolutely DESPISE the friggin marketing hype crap everyone's pulling these days. The 7-8 month anouncement of the SRAM Hammeredshiit, the future of the DW Link(which is over rated anyway in my opinion), the G-Box that everyone still thinks will become an industry standard somehow, someday, and the Staccatto 8...which everyone somehow decided was going to be a gearbox...and it turned out to be a plastic pedal because they can't just say "'it's a pedal", no, it has to be a big, fat deal. How about the 2013 G-box'd Evil Imperial?
Christ! I'm to the point now of never wanting to own ANYTHING that has anything to do with DW or Evil, or any of the other baby companies, just because there's too damn much hype and smoke-and-mirrors surrounding it all! Great products...can't that be enough?
Rant over.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Christ! I'm to the point now of never wanting to own ANYTHING that has anything to do with DW or Evil, or any of the other baby companies, just because there's too damn much hype and smoke-and-mirrors surrounding it all! Great products...can't that be enough?
Rant over.
I suspect dw is wringing his hands over the fact that a die hard mongoose enthusiast refuses to buy one of his products.

but you make a good point. I cared a couple of months ago. I was even considering buying one as my next bike. Now I just don't care - not that they over hyped it, just that they hyped it for too long. Its on the downslope of "care" as far as I can tell. should have released the news earlier

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Lance Armstrong "Changed the world"?

ooooookay....
Well, how about this:

7 Tour De France victories (unprecedented)
The most famous cancer survivor and a leader in fund raising against cancer
Also the most famous cyclist ever, top 5 American athlete, dated Sheryl Crow and Sandra Bullock, close friends with George Bush...

Oh yeah, and I forget the name of the bike he rode, but he helped them too.

Santa Maria

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007
Austria
I absolutely DESPISE the friggin marketing hype crap everyone's pulling these days. The 7-8 month anouncement of the SRAM Hammeredshiit, the future of the DW Link(which is over rated anyway in my opinion), the G-Box that everyone still thinks will become an industry standard somehow, someday, and the Staccatto 8...which everyone somehow decided was going to be a gearbox...and it turned out to be a plastic pedal because they can't just say "'it's a pedal", no, it has to be a big, fat deal. How about the 2013 G-box'd Evil Imperial?
Rant over.
I agree, there is to much hype around the new DW Bike. That bike will not automaticaly become the next sunday in my point of you.
Concerning the stacatto, I used around 5 chain devices from e13, some crank rings and the reducer caps, all class products, so i think the e13 pedal will also be good product.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Well, how about this:

7 Tour De France victories (unprecedented)
The most famous cancer survivor and a leader in fund raising against cancer
Also the most famous cyclist ever, top 5 American athlete, dated Sheryl Crow and Sandra Bullock, close friends with George Bush...

Oh yeah, and I forget the name of the bike he rode, but he helped them too.
Nevermind all that crap. He nailed one of the Olsen twins and Kate Hudson. Now that's a real achievement. No-one gives a crap about that other stuff.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
You guys are getting nutty! You do realize that Dave himself hasn't really hyped anything at all. All the die hard fans of Evil, E13 & Iron Horse are simply going nuts trying to find out what's next. They're the hype masters. Dave popped up a couple times and said all of two things.

We're unveiling something at the US Open & there will be 2 manufacturers making a DW Link DH bike. He's not said anything else. there's not some big ad campaign in mags or plastered all over websites. Heck, it's not even Interbike or Eurobike yet. Why would anyone unveil a bike before then when that's when you take all your pre-orders & let the world do the marketing for you after that?

I can't believe people are getting ticked of because people are creating tweaks to pedals & moving their patents to other companies. :rofl:

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
^^^^^^^

I agree.

On the other side of things I also find all of this very exciting. Who would expect people to get so angry, protective, focused on this kind of stuff.