Quantcast

San Antonio?

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
Yup. MacAllister Park for one. I haven't ridden a ton down there though. I direct you to some peeps. Let me know when you are in town. It's a 2 hour drive, but I'll join you for a jaunt or two. Comfort will be open by then. :drool:

Spero

ass rainbow
Jul 12, 2005
Tejas
^^ Mac is the 'ol reliable when it comes to getting in time on the bike. There are a few other spots as well. If you'd like, drop me a line when it gets closer to the time you're going to be here. You can also try bikemojo.com > top right corner 'speak' > 'pure raspa'

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
What bike is more appro'? Gearie hard tail XC ride or Single Speed? If I behave myself, I may have a FS XC ride by then, is that more better?
Looks like mid Feb to early April. Dates to come as they firm up...

Spero

ass rainbow
Jul 12, 2005
Tejas
It really depends on where you plan to ride. If you're looking to get a good variety of riding in, including Bandera (Hill Country State Natural Area), Government Canyon and O.P., having gears is a plus. You'll be fine most places on a SS, but some of the rocky climbing can be challenging without gears. A short travel fully might be nicer on the body in the places mentioned above because of the amount of rocks, but it isn't necessary.

coiler7

Monkey
May 30, 2005
Kent, WA
I'm pondering moving back to SA after 15 yrs away in the Pac NW. Is there any decent FR stuff there like medium drops (6-10 ft) or elevated wood structures w/ open access??? I'm interested mainly if there is anything FR-ish within the same areas for XC. That Comfort Bike Ranch, possibly? Anyway, I know about most trails, parks around SA & Hill County but have ridden those places too much in the past. I'm sure there's lotsa potential for some little FR detour sections in Govt Canyon but I know how very sensitive they are there about everything...
:shocked:
anyway, thanks in advance!!!
Mark W

Spero

ass rainbow
Jul 12, 2005
Tejas
There's some scattered stuff here and there. Groups have come and gone that try to build. Mac has a couple of decent jumps, a few small drops and some DJs in need of repair. O.P. also has some decent stuff. *Some riders* built a couple of jumps and drops out there at one point but gave up after a bit. There's a lot of potential in places, but I doubt much will ever be built legally. Mac is also on schedule to have a 'skills park' built at some point. Twin Parks in Dripping Springs still has a downhill line or two, a good 4x course and DJs. Bandera is also an option if you're looking for a couple of short and sketch DH sections...watch out for the hikers and horses. I don't take my big bike out much anymore, but if you end up moving back, drop me a line and a few of us can show you around.

coiler7

Monkey
May 30, 2005
Kent, WA
OK, yeh I'm sure almost anything there will be sketchy to me since so much loose & rocky terrain. just hafta "Armour UP". Used to live right behind Mac in the old days & can't believe how much new trail is out there now.
that Dripping Springs area sounds interesting , got friends nearby. anyway, will keep y'all in mind when I get back there.
Thanks Spero!

Mar 1, 2005
have some downhill lines here in town drops etc geared more to downhill illegal trails of course give me email if interested

fatbob29r

Chimp
Jan 19, 2008
Everything in SA can be done on a SS. Full Sus here is a waste of time IMO. If you're more comfortable with gears bring 'em there's no rule that says you have to shift.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Pedaled MacAlester again the other day...rode through a group of guys on full squish 29ers on my single speed...pro tip, fatbob is spot on, you dont need all that travel, all that wheel and all those gears here. Just pedal fercryinoutloud...