Quantcast

San Diego... Best "BEER" town in the US?

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
I have always heard that the PNW and Colorado areas were big "beer" mecas, but can anyone really top San Diego as far as devotion to the sudsy brew?

Just take a look at SD Beer week (starts today!!)
SDBW Events « San Diego Beer Week, 2011

Over 450 events throughout the city over the next 9 days (yes, longer that an actual week, I realize that)

I'm got some VIP tix (only $20 more than standard tix) for the main "guild" tasting tomorrow (Sat the 5th) and I also plan on heading down to the "green-flash" event the following saturday. Anyone else going to anything related to SDBW?

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
I have always heard that the PNW and Colorado areas were big "beer" mecas, but can anyone really top San Diego as far as devotion to the sudsy brew?

Just take a look at SD Beer week (starts today!!)
SDBW Events « San Diego Beer Week, 2011

Over 450 events throughout the city over the next 9 days (yes, longer that an actual week, I realize that)

I'm got some VIP tix (only $20 more than standard tix) for the main "guild" tasting tomorrow (Sat the 5th) and I also plan on heading down to the "green-flash" event the following saturday. Anyone else going to anything related to SDBW?
Being up here in the "PNW" I have to say that the SD area has some awesome shiznit. I also have to say that we have some pretty bad azz stuff ourselves that you never get to sample. If you ever see stuff from Black Raven, get it, drink it, love it. Or, Schooner Exact...Ph. D Chemist is the brewmaster. Can you say quality control? I'd say it's a toss up between SD and the PNW.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Madison Beer Week
1/10th the population of San Diego, 90+ events over 8 days. And that doesn't even include the biggest beer festival in the city which is several months later (and also has 30-40+ events/tastings/pre-parties/etc in the days leading up to it).

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
PNW owns it, don't be stupid. Our lives are beer festivals, we don't need some silly "event".

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Go to Stone Brewery for the tour.

P.s. bring an empty keg.
Will they fill?

Actually, if I went there I'd be more interested in ACQUIRING an empty keg so I could turn it into another Keggle brew-kettle. One of their "damaged" ones probably.

Oh, and btw, one post-event comment... This may sound kinda "off", but they had the most amazing food item there. And I tasted it BEFORE I had any samples, so I wasn't even drunk (the first time... I had more later when I was "tipsy" and still good).

PEANUT BUTTER AND JELLY BACON BURGERS!!

SacredYeti

Monkey
Sep 12, 2011
San Diego, CA
Will they fill?

Actually, if I went there I'd be more interested in ACQUIRING an empty keg so I could turn it into another Keggle brew-kettle. One of their "damaged" ones probably.

Oh, and btw, one post-event comment... This may sound kinda "off", but they had the most amazing food item there. And I tasted it BEFORE I had any samples, so I wasn't even drunk (the first time... I had more later when I was "tipsy" and still good).

PEANUT BUTTER AND JELLY BACON BURGERS!!
Yup, we bought an empty keg on CL and about about 2 weeks ago got it filled with their Imperial Stout IPA for about $65 (my friend that went with me up to the brewery apparently went to college with the guy that helped us at the end of the tour :thumb: ).

Stone NORMALLY will ask you to bring your own keg, but if you get lucky on the right day they will charge you damn near half the price for a keg/tap.

Karl Strauss is some good ****, but damn I'm a Stone fanboy, even more epic for me that they are local.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Go to Stone Brewery for the tour.

P.s. bring an empty keg.
when I lived in LA, between me and my roommate we had 8 growlers. once a month we would make a trip down, fill them all, have a pint while they were filled (generally we had time for 2 pints), then would return to LA for a weekend of preposterous drinking.