Quantcast

San Diego bike park petition... need your help!

chango

Chimp
Jan 6, 2011
Calling on our fellow MTB'ers in So Cal and beyond for some help!

SDMBA is talking with the County of San Diego on putting together a bike park out on County land. Jay of SDMBA is negotiating a memorandum of understanding between SDMBA and the County to develop a demonstration jump/pump track that could, based upon a great response from the community, lead to the development of a full scale bicycle skills park. This petition will aid him in his negotiations.

We are not only looking for people from San Diego, but those who would visit on vacation or for other activities that would make this a point of interest whether their on a family vacation, business trip or whatever. So no ones excluded but we would like to keep it real for people that would enjoy such a thing and would come by and have some fun. Help us get the word out to the right people and post a link on facebook, emails word of mouth or whatever it takes!

If you have any questions or comments stop by www.SDMBA.com or drop me an email at mynameislos@yahoo.com. Thanks in advance for your help!

http://www.petitiononline.com/SDMBA/petition.html

chango

Chimp
Jan 6, 2011
Signed. I wonder where they are thinking of putting this...anyone know?
bump! Currently talking to the County of SD after talks with the city faltered, so it would most likely be out where theres good space, aka East county. From what I heard the city has somewhat perked their ears up again though.

chango

Chimp
Jan 6, 2011
This a post copied from a local san diego site. www.dirttreaders.com

Our County DP&R is interested in the concept and is eager to explore ways to make our dream of bike parks a reality. Furthermore, at last Thursday’s MTRP Planning meeting, the President of the MTRP Foundation approached Phil Moses and myself and asked what the status of the MTRP bike park proposal is. When we told Jay Wilson the City requested a meeting to discuss this matter but never followed through with an appointment, Mr. Wilson talked with the City Planner, introduced us, and both are very interested in including a bike park in the MTRP Plan. The MTRP Foundation, City Planning Dept., Phil and I are going to meet to discuss how the City and SD Riders can work together and get this god damn bike park built.

The major roadblock and the one responsible for crushing all hope for these types of facilities was explained to the DT’ers community about a year ago. You all remember the thread Quietstorm started asking “why doesn’t SD have bike parks and what needs to be done to make it happen?” After reading all the posts, I pm’ed Mike and shared some info. I also told him everyone will say they want these types of facilities, many will say they will help create these types of facilities, but the great majority of riders will do absolutely nothing and wait for others to do all the work so that they can enjoy the fruits of others labor. So I told Mike if he could get people interested enough to take an hour or two to attend a meeting I along with the rest of the SDMBA Board would devote as much time as necessary to answer all questions and explain what needs to be done. I told Mike he would see what the major roadblock is: Commitment lacking from the riding community. Mike did rally the troops and about 30 riders showed up to that meeting. There were more excuses for not being able to attend the meeting.

That meeting laid out specific details that involved riders getting active within the communities they live in, attending community meetings, attending SD Park & Rec meetings, introducing themselves as members of the SD MTB’ing community, and just listening and observing what is taking place. After attending a few of these one-hour-a-month meetings and getting their faces recognized, one could then address the subject of bike parks and request the opportunity to present info at an upcoming meeting. The concept behind this is very simple: Everyone lives in a community. Every community has meetings that discuss what’s going on in there community. The reports from these meetings are sent to decision makers. So, twenty individuals attending twenty different meetings in twenty different areas of the County requesting the same thing ends up in front of decision makers. “Twenty hooks in the pond have a better chance of getting a bite than one hook.”

For whatever reasons the riding community has chosen the “we’ll wait and see if anything happens” approach. There’s a philosophical concept of cause and effect that one should seriously consider. This concept basically states “if you do “A”, there’s a good chance “B” will happen as a direct result from doing “A”. If “A”=nothing, “B”=nothing.

We, SD Riders, now have both the City and County showing interest and willing to listen to our request to develop progressive riding opportunities that will not only benefit us riders but will also benefit communities and our P&R depts. In order to be taken seriously, we need to establish credibility and prove we are able to follow through on our commitments. The petition drive is a task that demonstrates how much effort the SD Riders are willing to devote for a cause they believe in. The more effort put in the greater the results. Passive distribution of the petition will bring passive results. Active effort will produce greater results. The petition has been out almost one month and the online signatures account for 1/20 of 1% of estimated MTB’ers in SD County. Either this number accurately reflects the real number of riders that want progressive riding opportunities in SD or this number accurately reflects the amount of effort SD riders are willing to commit too. If we can’t get signatures, how can we be expected to raise $100,000’s of thousands of dollars? How can we be expected to provide maintenance when the 100,000’s of a’holes too lazy to sign a petition use and F’up our bike park or trails?

If the number of online signatures doesn’t grow at a faster rate than it has averaged the past two weeks, we’ll have to re-evaluate the situation by the end of this week.

Respectfully,

Jason L. Showalter
Board Member, SDMBA
Chairman, SDMBA Downhill, Free Ride & Bike Parks Committee

descente

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Sandy Eggo
anything ever happen with any of this? wife and i are moving down there next week and i've got a lot of time on my hands and plenty of trail tools

SacredYeti

Monkey
Sep 12, 2011
San Diego, CA
It's pretty shocking to hear Chango say that most riders don't want to help out or show up, seems whenever people do show up to help build and/or maintain the cops have a say otherwise :think:

chango

Chimp
Jan 6, 2011
Those were not my words bud, it was copied from a post on another forum from a guy that has been pushing for a bike park for close to 2 years now. There is no doubt that there are quality builders in SD, we are trying to get the ball rolling on having a legal place to do that.

Right now its just talk going on which bores 99% of people, once we get the ball rolling on something legit we will circle around with the wagon for everyone to jump on. :D

Get better updates of whats going on here http://www.facebook.com/pages/San-Diego-Bike-Park/101835496580654

or subscribe San Diego MTB associations newsletter at www.sdmba.com.