Quantcast

San Fran/Carmel suggestions?

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
So wife has a conference in SF early this week, and I have some work I need to do out there early next. So I'm flying out to meet her Thurs. We're staying in Carmel Thurs/Fri nights, then in SF Sat night before she heads home Sunday afternoon. Any specific recommendations for food/hikes/other things to do in either place?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
So wife has a conference in SF early this week, and I have some work I need to do out there early next. So I'm flying out to meet her Thurs. We're staying in Carmel Thurs/Fri nights, then in SF Sat night before she heads home Sunday afternoon. Any specific recommendations for food/hikes/other things to do in either place?
I heard there's some off-road bicycling around there.

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
I haven't ridden Santa Cruz but it's supposed to be awesome. I used to live on for ford military base when I went to college there. It was a long time ago but there was lots of trails on the old base. But eat at Monterey warf (clam chowder) or see the aquarium. SF I like a crab cup on one of there warfs. I also like north of there tomalas bay. Amazing oysters. I was always to poor to do much in Carmel other than drink on the beach there. But I recommend that as well. Also I forget the bank (but you can google it) inside the 17 mile drive, but if you say you have business there you don't have to pay entry.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Simply awesome food

http://fandangorestaurant.com/

Henry Cowell redwoods might still be closed as in the roads are still too effed up to get there. Wilder Ranch is open but Soquel Demonstration Forest where the best riding is, is still closed. Fort Ord is in great shape. Big Sur is closed due to briges that were washed away. If you guys want to hit the Wineries in the Livermore Valley (we have 65 of them) we can show you around on the weekend. It's an hour east of SF.

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
One of my buddies lived in Monterrey for a couple years so we visited him once. We did hit up Carmel one afternoon but it was fairly uneventful since all there was to do was taste wine and look at little art galleries (which you may find much more interesting than we did). We took a drive through Big Sur and walked along the beaches which was very picturesque. Monterey is a pretty cool spot to hit up and the aquarium is definitely worth your time. Cannery Row is a little touristy but has some good restaurants (I'd recommend Cannery Row Brewing Co). They hold the Sea Otter Classic in Monterey so there is obviously some mtb trails around but we never checked them out so I don't know about that aspect.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Simply awesome food

http://fandangorestaurant.com/

Henry Cowell redwoods might still be closed as in the roads are still too effed up to get there. Wilder Ranch is open but Soquel Demonstration Forest where the best riding is, is still closed. Fort Ord is in great shape. Big Sur is closed due to briges that were washed away. If you guys want to hit the Wineries in the Livermore Valley (we have 65 of them) we can show you around on the weekend. It's an hour east of SF.
Given they'll be south, the Carmel Valley wineries might be a better option.

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
The hike from Land's End (Cliff House) to Golden Gate is very scenic and can easily be done in one morning. You can even take public transit to get back to where you came from if you don't want to backtrack. If you want to do more hiking outside of the city will be a much larger time commitment.

If you drive out to Land's End, Trouble Coffee is a good place to get coffee and cinnamon toast. Just up the block is a nice brunch spot called Outerlands.

Last edited:

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Thanks all. Much appreciated. Will take folks up on various suggestions for restaurants / activities near Carmel and in SF proper. This is more of a "chill with the wife" trip than a "rent a bike and shred" trip. Any particular vineyard recommendations near Carmel/Monterrey appreciated. Colonial has been recommended by others - will def make a reservation for Saturday night. Fandango looks good too.

Once wife leaves on Sunday, my business Monday is up in Inverness. If I head out early enough might stop at MTB HOF. Always enjoy that area and even the drive up there. Anyone know if the Lagunitas Brewery is worth a stop?