Quantcast

San Fran State

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Is this a glorified community college? Is it in a ****ty part of town? Why is it so goddamned cheap? Please, illuminate my pitiful mind.

ha, just found a college review site:

"This school makes me weep for the future."

second edit: Sounds like the "State" university system in CA sucks balls.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
i lived in the san jose state housing when i interned for palm. it was like being in soviet russia, what with the monolithic concrete, only waaaaaay more ghetto, er, i mean, barrio.

second edit: Sounds like the "State" university system in CA sucks balls.
Generally thats true, however some schools are still quite good or are good in special areas. Like the guy said above, Cal Poly SLO is a state school but is very good, especially in the engineering disciplines. Also, for example, Humboldt State has a good program in environmental studies. It really depends on your major.

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
Private schools, even if you're a California State resident, are still way expensive. You'll find that most of the people who go to private schools are from the "the rich get richer" families.

San Fran State would make someone "weep for the future" because they have their own mentality, and if you're not that way, you're wrong. That's a massive generalization, and a total stereotype of people who go to SFSU, but I've found it to be dead on 9 out of 10 times.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I ask as going to UCSC is on shaky ground. Many of my girlfriends credits won't transfer, and the ones that will could possibly hurt her (she may not be able to finish her major there - Biology). I'd like to consider a backup school in the are if UCSC does not work out...thus far the only one of merit is CSUMB. Looked at Berkeley...she could get in, but I doubt I could.

She wants to go to med school after her undergrad...SFSU doesn't sound so hot for that.

Monkey
I ask as going to UCSC is on shaky ground. Many of my girlfriends credits won't transfer, and the ones that will could possibly hurt her (she may not be able to finish her major there - Biology). I'd like to consider a backup school in the are if UCSC does not work out...thus far the only one of merit is CSUMB. Looked at Berkeley...she could get in, but I doubt I could.

She wants to go to med school after her undergrad...SFSU doesn't sound so hot for that.
dig deeeeep into your family to see if you have any under-represented minority blood(ie not Asian), and write a heart warming essay about how you over came the stigma of being ______.

guaranteed entry, no questions asked.

too bad my blood line is so boring there is nothing I could use for scholarships. Meh.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
San Francisco State has a GREAT film program. Its Liberal Arts department is generally pretty well respected.

San Jose State has a really good engineering program. Chico State has a great education (i.e. degree in k-12 teaching) program. CSU NorthRidge (or maybe Channel Islands... brain fart... one of those SoCal/hollywood places) has a respected and connected film department. Sac State is supposed to be decent, as is Sonoma State.

Most of the State schools have some very respected departments. The real difference between UC and CSU schools is that CSU's are much more practical, while UC's are more theoretical. Transfering between the two isn't too big of a deal. We're paying just under $1500 a quarter here at CalPoly. UC's are a lot more pricey.

Will you be paying out-of-state tuition? Be sure you have full CA residency before you go to a UC/CSU. A CSU that costs less than $5k a year for residents can be around $20k+ a year for out-of-staters. Ouch. There are a lot of benefits to going to a community college for a few years. Down here in SLO, (a mellow 3 hour drive from Santa Cruz/4 from down town SF) Cuesta, the community college, designs majors and curriculums to directly transfer to Calpoly with seamless ease. Not a bad deal atall.

Wherever you go, you'll be psyched.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Yeah, the original plan was to go to Cabrillo (CC up in Aptos), gain residency, then transfer over to UCSC. I can't remember why, but SLO got cut out of the running early...can't remember why.

And no, no minorities in my bloodline...she's half German, though :think:

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
Blue... that's definitely the way to do it.

CSU's are not worth it if you're going to pay out-of-state tuition. Get residency. Then transfer.

Otherwise you might as well go to a private college.