Quantcast

San Francisco - WTF?!

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
should I do when I'm there in a week?

It's been many many years but in my mind it's still one of my favorite places. My girlfriend has never been. We've only got a couple of days. What shouldn't we miss?

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
Yeah, muir woods is on the agenda and lots of food. I made note of that Indian place in another thread. Not sure the girl would really enjoy amoeba.. Might check the toronado if I'm in that hood. Staying in Japan town and going to get a car for the redwoods.

FREERDR4LF

Monkey
Feb 11, 2006
FOLSOM, CA.
Walk along the Embarcadero and see the Piers. Pier 39 I think it is for all the tourists. Walk up and down Market, there is a cool Virgin Records. Go see the theatre show Beach Blanket Babylon, funny as hell. Walk across the Golden Gate. Don't bother with Alcatraz, too cold and windy. Show her Lombard St., the twisty one. Haight St. if you want to see some other freaks different from the ones in N.Y.
The list goes on and on...

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
Yeah, I'm hoping to skip alcatraz - never been there for a reason.

Freaks come in varieties? ;) I'm familiar with both coasts' freaks, but I'll probably hit the Haight as well.

Put "WTF?" in the title of your thread and get lots of views..

cliffster5

In dog years I'm dead
Aug 23, 2001
Salinas, CA
Yeah Spin, stay outta the Castro bro (or at least bring your chastity belt). Check out the Exploratorium sorta near the presidio, it's kinda like the Franklin museum in Philly. Museum of Modern Art is nice. Great food all over the city. Hell, check out a Warriors game while you're out here. The walk across the Golden Gate should not be missed. Hope you have some fun while you're out here!

Fshflys

Monkey
Jun 29, 2005
Look for the Bush man, guy that hangs out in the fishermans warf area jumping out at unsuspecting tourists. Funnier than all get out, watched him for about 1 hr one day, I swear he made about $60 in that hr.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Sounds like you've got your action pretty well planned out, and you don't want to try to cram too much stuff into two days. Personally I'd stay away from the wharf area if at all possible, except maybe to check out the Ferry Plaza Building and Farmer's Market if you're into food at all.

If you want any more specific recommendations post up a little info about what you like and what you're looking for. (Or feel free to drop me a PM.) Chances are good it's here, but this board gets all types so it's hard to make random recommendations. I've posted before about things to do here but if I can help let me know.

monkeyboy424

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
Place
i would defenitley tour The Sunset and the Richmond Districts. San Francisco's biggest secrets...

Seriously though, check out the mission district. people who visit the city always seem to forget about the mission.

or just listen to og ripper. he still lives there. i moved away.

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
Thanks all. I've got all of 4 days. I'm splitting this trip between SF and Portland. My girl is working the first half of the week covering a big science conference so I'm going to see my family and friends in Oregon then catch up with her when she is done.

Like I said, our base is Japantown. Muir Woods is on the agenda and eating a buttload of food. (sushi on the west coast is sooo much better than NYC - fvck Nobu). I do plan on meandering through the Haight, Mission and even the tenderloin. I'm not much of a shopper, but you know women.. I'd like to check the MOMA there (fav in ny). I might hit Toronado and Baobab. The Parkway sounds way too much like a plethora of places in Portland - cool, but grew up with that. I've heard about the bush man and may take my unsuspecting gf to see him if she start giving me a hard time. I'll google the Exploratorium. I'm actually hoping it's too nice out to hit too many museums. We got our first snow here today and I'm tired of the damned cold already (Portland is going to be rainy).

I'd love to hear about some interesting clubs/bars - the more unique the better. Music is good, even Jazz baby. I'm not dancing. I'm going to see who is in town playing while I'm there. Good places to check out for live tunes?

Eating is always good.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Live Music: Slim's, Bimbo's, The Independent, Warfield, Fillmore, Great American Music Hall, Cafe Du Nord. Check out the SF Guardian or SF Weekly for listings, both have websites.

Best jazz is at Yoshi's in Oakland - which also happens to be a great place for sushi. But it's a pain in the ass from the city and I wouldn't do it unless it's someone you absolutely don't want to miss.

Random bars to check out: Toronado (all beer), Tommy's Mexican (all tequila), the Alembic (lots of bourbon, classic cocktails of all kinds), Bix, Bourbon and Branch, Nopa, Tosca, and for killer views if you are around union square, Harry Denton's Starlight Room (but call to make sure you can get in).