Quantcast

San Jose area riding?

Li'l Dave

Monkey
Jan 10, 2002
San Jose, CA
I'm thinking about making the move up to San Jose to go to San Jose State, the school seems good, the program is cool, but is there any riding in the area, and how is it? I'm looking for both XC and DH riding, but mainly DH. Any info would be cool, and I'm also thinking about going up there either next week or the week after and could for sure have at least one bike with me (I'd probably have more than one) Thanks.

Dave

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
25 miles Northwest you have Carlmont/DMC, 35 Pacifica, and 35 Northest Joaquim Miller. West of San Jose you have all the dh trails of Santa Cruz, but I am not saavy with that.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
But you really do have to drive around 25 miles minimum? Not even any XC riding close to town?
There are closer stuff, and Norba is even planning on a Super-D race in SJ (for whatever that's worth).

Sorry, I never go to SJ, but you could call Trailhead Cyclery, which is the dh shop for the South Bay.

beaverbiker

Monkey
Feb 5, 2003
Santa Clara
there's tons of good riding super close to san jose. you definitely have to drive a little. some good stuff in south san jose, so if you live out there, you can ride to it. and you gotta have someone show you the good stuff.

Dan_ger

Monkey
Sep 15, 2006
East Bay
I'm thinking about making the move up to San Jose to go to San Jose State, the school seems good, the program is cool, but is there any riding in the area, and how is it? I'm looking for both XC and DH riding, but mainly DH. Any info would be cool, and I'm also thinking about going up there either next week or the week after and could for sure have at least one bike with me (I'd probably have more than one) Thanks.

Dave
San Jose puts you in close distance to Soquel Demo Forest and many other DH/XC spots - not that I really know the "good" DH spots there. The San Jose area is absolutely filled with parks with really nice XC stuff.

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
I live in San Jose (Campbell is next to San Jose, Cupertino, Sunnyvale, Santa Clara, Milpitas). I can vouche... the only place that would be better to live than here is actually living IN Santa Cruz. I've ridden N*, Downieville... and those are amazing. But my favorite trails around are in Santa Cruz.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
The Demo Forest, and the Campus Trails are probably the best example of stuff in that area. There is more, but unless you have time to drive it isn't that great (compared to SB).

Campus DH off of highway 9 is awesome. Nothing rocky like down south, but the soil grips so well and the trails flow nicely.

PM RaacerX, he is a local with some speed and can get you set up. There are also some good shops in the area and I know San Jose State has an active bike team (not sure if it is jsut road, but I used to see/ride with them all the time).

The Ito

Li'l Dave

Monkey
Jan 10, 2002
San Jose, CA
That's good to hear that people like living in San Jose, its making my choice a lot easier :banana: . I was just worried that I would have to go long distances to ride anything. I'm trying to think if there is a way to go up to Santa Cruz on Sunday, I have Sunday and monday off. So far I haven't heard anything bad about the area from anyone. I'm not too worried about the trails being different than SB, it'll be nice to see something else than just tons of rocks all the way down.

Li'l Dave

Monkey
Jan 10, 2002
San Jose, CA
Could either of those be ridden to from where a student may live going to SJSU? Sorry if my questions seem a little strange, I haven't even been to San Jose, I have no idea where people would live or anything. I can't wait to ride some more normal singltrack, all we have here is rocky out and backs, no good just "trail rides."

Li'l Dave

Monkey
Jan 10, 2002
San Jose, CA
Also, what is the shuttle situation in the area? I've heard that there is only really one DH trail in Pacifica, and you have to first climb up then turn around and ride back down. Also, are there shuttleable trails in Santa Cruz, SC sounds sick beyond belief?

Slonie

Chimp
Oct 28, 2006
Could either of those be ridden to from where a student may live going to SJSU? Sorry if my questions seem a little strange, I haven't even been to San Jose, I have no idea where people would live or anything. I can't wait to ride some more normal singltrack, all we have here is rocky out and backs, no good just "trail rides."
Well, you COULD get to St. Joseph's by riding to the light rail station, taking it down to the last stop in Campbell, then riding Los Gatos Creek Trail (paved until the last mile and a half, about 7 miles total) all the way south to the end (at Lexington Reservoir), then go up Jones Trail...Bam.

Oh yeah, first time poster here...I guess I'll introduce myself another time...Right now it's time for dinner! :biggrin:

Li'l Dave

Monkey
Jan 10, 2002
San Jose, CA
So basically you're telling me that I need to drive there :biggrin: ? Not a problem, I'm guess I'm spoiled here having trails so close to home.

I am near the Santa Cruz trails, lots of guys shuttle up here its not an issue, I ride these trails at least 3 days a week. I LOVE them.
ALL of the campus trails are a blast, I just wish they were longer. Also demo forrest is Very fun to ride aswell, but ou have to climb to get there and peddle out, Fire roads on either side of the trails so it is not hard climbs.

I recomend a trail in demo called Brail (sp?) it is by far my favorite, jumps skinnys everything I would want.

Li'l Dave

Monkey
Jan 10, 2002
San Jose, CA
Awesome, I can't wait to get out there in a few weeks and ride. I'll be up there the weekend of the 11th to check out the school, maybe I can bring my bike.

beaverbiker

Monkey
Feb 5, 2003
Santa Clara
st josephs and kennedy are not worth your time. kennedy is only good for a gnarly climb. that's about it. you're gonna have to drive pretty much everywhere to ride. but lucky you, i live in santa clara next to the university, and pretty close to SJSU. and i usually ride about 4-5 days a week. my girlfriend will probably say it's more like 7-8 days a week. but i'm always down to ride and carpool to the santa cruz mountains.

Li'l Dave

Monkey
Jan 10, 2002
San Jose, CA
That would be awesome, its always good to find good people to ride with. I'm not sure if you remember me Curtis, I've ridden with you before in SB with Duncan and Daniel and at Sand Hill a year or two ago. I'll be coming up the weekend of the 11th sadly without a bike just to check out the town and school and such, but soon after I want to come up with all my bikes and ride for a few days. As well as I've got lots of couch space here if anyone wants to come down some other weekend and ride SB trails.

Lucee

govenor
Jan 16, 2002
nor cal
So basically you're telling me that I need to drive there :biggrin: ? Not a problem, I'm guess I'm spoiled here having trails so close to home.
I wouldn't drive to St. Joseph's. Like others said, Santa Cruz and Pacifica have some good dh'ing. Otherwise, in terms of regular riding, hwy 35 has some great stuff--Russian Ridge, Monte Bello, Madera Corte Open Space Preserve. Good luck with that stuff, and when you're in Santa Cruz, lemme know. We'll ride.

Li'l Dave

Monkey
Jan 10, 2002
San Jose, CA
So I came up and checked out everything besides riding this weekend and I'm really stoked. The Industrial Design program looks really good, the school is nice, teachers seem cool, so now all I need to do is finish the application and get it in. One thing I couldn't figure out was where students live, and how much housing runs. Other than that, hopefully another trip can happen soon and I can come up and ride.