Quantcast

San Juan 8/26 and/or Wilson 8/27

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Wilson - Let me discuss the schedule with my friends. I will get back to you with a meeting time, hopefully by this afternoon.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Sat - I'm already committed to doing a ride at Aliso Woods. Hopefully I can meet up with you guys next time.

Sun - We're shooting for 10a. I know it's a late start, but that's the time we're sticking with for now. I'll send you a PM tomorrow or Sat to make sure we meet up at the same place.

alentz

Chimp
May 9, 2006
Santa Monica
Hey guys, I'm down for some riding this weekend fo sho! I've done Wilson a bunch of times, but haven't ever heard of San Jaun. Can u hook me up with some details about it?

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
san juan is a flowy version of wilson. it is in san juan capistrano. you take the 5 to the 73 or 74 (ortega highway). you will head east about 12 miles to the lower parking lot. you can pedal up from there. you can also shuttle up the road a few miles to the top of the trail. you still need to pedal up a bit from the top of the shuttle, then you bomb back down some nice flowy goodness. hardpack w/ sand. very SoCal. plenty of berms and turns. it is a longer ride. (2 -3 hours.

alentz

Chimp
May 9, 2006
Santa Monica
Hmmm, that sounds funs, and I'm always interesting in riding new terrain. Are you coming from Hollywood or somewhere else? I'm over in Claremont (by Pomona if you don't know). Some sort of carpool would be sweet, but if not, that's ok too.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
i am heading from hollywood to burbank to meet with one guy. we will pick up another who lives by the 405, then head down from there. we have another guy coming from the west-side, and another who will be there from OC. not sure how a carpool will work. still, would love to see you there. pm me with a phone number and we can work something out.

THE PLAN

we are leaving LA at 7:30. we expect to be at the parking lot (up th dirt road by the ranger station) around 9-ish. there will be a big bronze truck w/ big tires and a body lift and a silver nissan xterra. that is our crew.

Apr 22, 2006
Pasadena
anyone interested in doing Wilson earlier?
Ideally, i'd like to be done by noon... is this even possible?
I've never ridden Wilson, actually...
I'd also be down if someone wants to goto da Whoops instead.

also, what's the garb? Full face/ pads? Is a Santa Cruz VP Free good for the ride?

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
wilson is a good ride. if you start closer to 8am you can be done by noon. the biggest time crunch is on getting back up the 2 highway to pick up the shuttle truck. if everyone is willing, you can just jet out at the end of the run and skip the shuttle pick-up. it takes 30-45 minutes to drive from the bottom to the top. from there you suit up and climb for a bit. you then have a fire road or single-track descent. then some switchbacks and single-track. there is a resting point, then another climb. then a single-track bomb to the bottom.

the top is rocky and exposed. the bottom is tree covered and smoother with some roots and rocks.

depending on how comfy you feel with your skillz, you should consider a full face and pads. i did it with my skid lid and some knee pads the last time. knee/shins are nice to prevent getting hooked by plants. i have some light elbow pads that i like.

you can run anything from a HT to a DH rig for the run. i have done it on both. for your first time, bring a suspension rig. if the VP is all you have, you will be fine. there may be some spots where you need to push depending on your gearing and fitness.