Quantcast

Sandia?

drift1492

Chimp
Mar 19, 2002
How is the riding up at Sandia Peak in ALBQ? Im headed up there for a day or two soon and want to know all about it. How is the lift stuff. I know it runs on the weekends. Let me know what you know. Thanks

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
drift1492 said:
How is the riding up at Sandia Peak in ALBQ? Im headed up there for a day or two soon and want to know all about it. How is the lift stuff. I know it runs on the weekends. Let me know what you know. Thanks
i started most all the dh trails there.
ski area has crap for dh. and the lifts take 45 min.
get a shuddle going and use the paved road.
if you have to use the lifts ride North right as you get off along the service
road to the north track. a few rises at first and at the end getting
back on the pavment to the ski are parking lot
5 years of riding and digging.
here is a map i made
click it for a link to the pics.

drift1492

Chimp
Mar 19, 2002
I'm actually takin my dad up there to ride. He probably wouldnt be able to handle some of the stuff youve made, but we might give it a try. So the lift takes 45 minutes? How long does it take to ride down?

Also, the bottom of the map you made is the top of the ski area and the south track would start right up the service road?

Thanks

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
drift1492 said:
I'm actually takin my dad up there to ride. He probably wouldnt be able to handle some of the stuff youve made, but we might give it a try. So the lift takes 45 minutes? How long does it take to ride down?

Also, the bottom of the map you made is the top of the ski area and the south track would start right up the service road?

Thanks
you can't see the top what you are seeing is the botom of the ski hill.
you are backwards.
it would take like 30 min to go down the ski area. it sucks. ok for a hard tail.
you guys both have them right? whats your name?

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
the service road goes right to the blue S in sandia. the top of the ski area is off the right side of the map

drift1492

Chimp
Mar 19, 2002
I'm from "yellow" as well, my name is Dustin.

I have family in ALBQ and I was going to go riding while im up there.

I have 2 bikes one 6" inch front and rear FS and a hardtail. Ill be riding the hardtail and my old dad is gonna ride my Patriot.

Im kind of worried if the lifts take 45 minutes and the ride down is only 30? Is the long lift time due to all the on and off to get bikes off?

I still am havin trouble figuring out where all the stuff is on your map...I cant find the "blue S in sandia" :)

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
drift1492 said:
I'm from "yellow" as well, my name is Dustin.

I have family in ALBQ and I was going to go riding while im up there.

I have 2 bikes one 6" inch front and rear FS and a hardtail. Ill be riding the hardtail and my old dad is gonna ride my Patriot.

Im kind of worried if the lifts take 45 minutes and the ride down is only 30? Is the long lift time due to all the on and off to get bikes off?

I still am havin trouble figuring out where all the stuff is on your map...I cant find the "blue S in sandia" :)

red S , oops sorry. the road that runs into it is the service road from the ski area

the lift is long and it runs super slow. thats why it takes so long. the 30 min down would take 7 if it was a dh trail. not much elevation change.

if you are there duringthe weekend some one will have a shuddle going. we just take turns driving.

o i am alex,

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I rode there last summer and looked for the good trails almost the entire day. We rode down Eagle something like 3 times in full armor looking for the trail. Man was it miserable. Finally after we had taken off our gear we ran into some locals and they showed us the trails. We got in one run that day and another the next day. Awesome trails. Wish I had found them earlier.

drift1492

Chimp
Mar 19, 2002
This trip really is just a chance to spend some time with my dad before I graduate and go to law school. Are these trails (other than the ones the locals built) even more than just smoothed out hiking trails? I mean, are there any small drops or small rock gardens or anything?

Alex, my dad can barely handle the GSL trail out at Palo Duro Canyon....so knowing that, are the trails on the ski mountain going to be fun for him at least?

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
drift1492 said:
This trip really is just a chance to spend some time with my dad before I graduate and go to law school. Are these trails (other than the ones the locals built) even more than just smoothed out hiking trails? I mean, are there any small drops or small rock gardens or anything?

Alex, my dad can barely handle the GSL trail out at Palo Duro Canyon....so knowing that, are the trails on the ski mountain going to be fun for him at least?

Take him over to Otero Canyon. It's more XC though.

Also, not too far from Alb is the Los Alamos ski area...

drift1492

Chimp
Mar 19, 2002
Well I ended up takin the lift and just riding on the ski mountain. The trails on the ski mountain were just about right for my dad. Overall, it was fun. I was going to go up and ride the service road out to meet up with the north trail alex built, but the rain and HAIL kept me from doing that. On our last trip down it started hailing on us about 5 minutes into the ride, so waiting that out took some time.

Im probably going to go back up there in the next couple weeks with some friends.

Thanks for all the info guys.