Santa Baby

Lumberjack

Monkey
Jan 24, 2003
PNW
The brown truck got it here a little later than expected

Still haven't figured out how to resize pics

Looks flexy ;)

With this rain it damn sure isn't going to stay so shiny and clean for very long.

For resizing pics for posting I use Photobucket. You can set the max size when you upload the pictures to Photobucket so no matter how big they are on your camera or pc, they will automatically be hosted at the right size for the forums or whatever.

evilbob

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
Everett, Wa
Nice!!!:thumb::thumb:
:hmm: Hhhhmmm... how to sneak that out of the shop ...:bonk::bonk: no no ... :hmm: Hhhhhmmm... oh hey Lumbi look over there (hot babes used to distract him :drool: ) :hmm: Hhhhhmmm... Look a new bottle of Crown (normally used to pay off or bribe Lumbi when cash won't work :brows: ) :hmm: Hhhhhmmm... :lighten: Ok ok how about hot babes and the crown then? :think::think::shocked::wtf: what ... no? You want to ride it first? :rant: just because it's yours! :rant: :wait::wait: ok fine then I will wait ... :wait::wait::wait::wait:

evilbob

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
Everett, Wa
That's right so you should just forget about riding it :brow: It"s an 18 perfect for me :wave: just need to figure how to get it away from Lumbi ... :think::think::think:

Lumberjack

Monkey
Jan 24, 2003
PNW
Thanks for the resize.

The polished front end rocks! Won't stay pretty for long riding behind you guys ( or my first digger. )

Bad eb. Stay back, way back. The owner bites worse the watchdog. BTW Weez isn't the only member of the family that has never had his shots:twitch:

I've had a ton of bikes over the years that I really liked. I fell in love with the Kula Deluxe 29 from 07. This Hei Hei has some large shoes to fill to even come close. If it does then I'm set for bikes for 08 and won't even bother ordering a 26" fs. I'll take the Hei Hei out in stock form and let you know what I think before I slap the new parts on that I have been acquiring for it.Sunday is the first ride on it besides the parking lot.

north20

Chimp
Nov 5, 2007
East Cascades - PNW
Thanks man.
Are you tired of the snow over there yet?

Hell yes :disgust:

Snowing right now, as a matter of fact. Still, I get out on the old Curtlo and give the occasional backroad motorist something to gawk at. Dirt riding is impossible atm; nothing but slick clay right under the snow.

One good thing about the snow: the desire for a new ride sorta subsides a bit, and I have a bit more patience for "shopping" ... Like the rest of these guys I'll be looking forward to your impressions on this Kona :cheers:

Lumberjack

Monkey
Jan 24, 2003
PNW
When I'm done you can have your turn.

Need to grab an offset seat post for it. The effective top tube lenght is the same as the hardtail. But the hardtail has an offset post. That is an easy enough fix.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Is that thing about 30lbs out of the box???

I've seen a guy lighten it up to about 27_lbs... but (in his opinion) to get it any lighter would require 'stooooopid' money.

I'm not so sure about that tho...

Lumberjack

Monkey
Jan 24, 2003
PNW
It felt fairly light right out of the box. I swapped the grips for lock-ons, big chain ring for a bash ring and added a front fender and splash guard for todays ride. Before I make any more changes it will hit the scales (minus the fender and guard .) I've already got a new wheelset sitting waiting it's turn to be installed and a few other small parts.

We are hitting Lake Sawyer this morning and I can't wait to ride this baby! Snacks is piloting an 08 Kula Deluxe 29 and Mr W is using my 07 for his first 29'r ride.

Lumberjack

Monkey
Jan 24, 2003
PNW
Kick butt ride. The bike handled very well. Climbs and descends like a champ. The only thing lacking was the rider. No noticeable flex while riding. Component package worked very well for an out-of-the-box bike. Damn good bang for the buck. I will not be ordering a new fs 26" for this year. With the Hei Hei 29 and my 07 Kula 29 my bike stable is complete.

Lake Sawyer rocked. Fresh snow and several other riders on the trail. Snacks disappeared off the front. As Mr W got used to the 29'r he and trailhacker were in hot pursuit of snacks. Getting over some sinus issues I settled in to a slower pace and brought up the rear as usual. Tight twisty single track, mud and slippery roots what more could you ask for? Kick butt folks to ride with, great trail system and killer bike to ride.

If you go to Lake Sawyer you need to swing in Black Diamond Bike's new shop. Yea Baby!

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Kick butt ride. The bike handled very well. Climbs and descends like a champ. The only thing lacking was the rider. No noticeable flex while riding. Component package worked very well for an out-of-the-box bike. Damn good bang for the buck. I will not be ordering a new fs 26" for this year. With the Hei Hei 29 and my 07 Kula 29 my bike stable is complete.

Lake Sawyer rocked. Fresh snow and several other riders on the trail. Snacks disappeared off the front. As Mr W got used to the 29'r he and trailhacker were in hot pursuit of snacks. Getting over some sinus issues I settled in to a slower pace and brought up the rear as usual. Tight twisty single track, mud and slippery roots what more could you ask for? Kick butt folks to ride with, great trail system and killer bike to ride.

If you go to Lake Sawyer you need to swing in Black Diamond Bike's new shop. Yea Baby!
Nice - did anyone take pics of the ride? If so, throw em up!

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Nice - did anyone take pics of the ride? If so, throw em up!
No, I'm an ass and didn't bring the camera:disgust1:When I saw the snow on the ground about 2 miles from the trail head I know I missed out.

MMcG, quick question....so do you ride other bikes besides a 29'r?

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
No, I'm an ass and didn't bring the camera:disgust1:When I saw the snow on the ground about 2 miles from the trail head I know I missed out.

MMcG, quick question....so do you ride other bikes besides a 29'r?

I have had so many bikes it isn't even funny and I think they all have their place. See the "Many Bikes of MMcG" thread in the lounge for reference! ;)

I have a road bike, and a long travel 26" hardtail that I sort of share with my younger son. But predominantly lately I've been on a 29er hardtail - partly out of budget concerns and partly because I find em to be damned fun.

I currently don't have a functional 29er in my stable.

I do have a Soul Cycles Dillinger in house that will be up on RM in a Review thread shortly and we also have a Carver Bumblebee 650b in back and 29er in front in house for a ridemonkey review and report. Stay tuned for more on those!

Cheers,

Mark

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
I have had so many bikes it isn't even funny and I think they all have their place. See the "Many Bikes of MMcG" thread in the lounge for reference! ;)

I have a road bike, and a long travel 26" hardtail that I sort of share with my younger son. But predominantly lately I've been on a 29er hardtail - partly out of budget concerns and partly because I find em to be damned fun.

I currently don't have a functional 29er in my stable.

I do have a Soul Cycles Dillinger in house that will be up on RM in a Review thread shortly and we also have a Carver Bumblebee 650b in back and 29er in front in house for a ridemonkey review and report. Stay tuned for more on those!

Cheers,

Mark

I'm just wondering if you find it easy to go back and forth between a 26 and 29? To me it's odd for about the first 5 minutes on the trail, then I don't even notice the front wheel size at all.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I'm just wondering if you find it easy to go back and forth between a 26 and 29? To me it's odd for about the first 5 minutes on the trail, then I don't even notice the front wheel size at all.

Yes it feels weird to go back and forth. In fact - sometimes I think that with the right frame - that a 69er frankenbike isn't a bad thing at all.

I'm interested to hear more reports about the FS 29er frames out there right now though. They all feature chainstay lengths that are way longer than I'm used to - so I'm interested to hear how they work for technical riding and wheelie drops/maneuvers like that.

Cheers

Mark

Lumberjack

Monkey
Jan 24, 2003
PNW
After Mr W used the hardtail last weekend now he is going to give the Hei Hei a try this weekend. He liked the hardtail but said he wanted to try a 29'r with a little squish. He and Snacks rocked those bikes.

Lumberjack

Monkey
Jan 24, 2003
PNW
Cosmic is headed out with us today also with his GF 29'r. That should give us four 29'rs for those with questions to try out on the trail today.

Lumberjack

Monkey
Jan 24, 2003
PNW
Two rides was all it took. Mr W is a new 29'r convert. Rode the ht and then the fs. Picks up his Hei Hei 29 on Friday.

Has anyone tried the new Maxxis Ardent tire yet?

Lumberjack

Monkey
Jan 24, 2003
PNW
Is that thing about 30lbs out of the box???

I've seen a guy lighten it up to about 27_lbs... but (in his opinion) to get it any lighter would require 'stooooopid' money.

I'm not so sure about that tho...
I just ordered a new scale for the shop so I can see just what kind of weight we are working with

MMcG you are gonna have to twist snacks arm for the pics.

Lumberjack

Monkey
Jan 24, 2003
PNW
If you feel compelled to get ridden in to the ground hook up with snacks and Mr W. They were a hand full to begin with now on the 29'rs I don't even see them except at trail intersections. They really are getting the most out of those bikes:clapping: