Quantcast

Santa Barbara 411

In Santa Barbara for 4 days and wanted to see if any SB monkeys could point me in the right direction. The wife likes the buffed out singletrack and I like anything with some good DH in it and some jumps. Also, are there any good bike shops? Any that rent decent full suspension trail bikes?

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
You can rent Marin bikes at Velo Pro on State Street. Knapps Castle trail might be a good trail for you both. It's smooth and fast with some jumps. Tunnel Trail is mostly all tech rocks and really fun. Coldsprings is longer with rockgardens like tunnel, but a lot more smooth singletrack. Romero has some has rocky sections, but is smoother than the other two in general. The lower part of the trail is a steep dirt road with hard turns (kamikazee like :D).

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
check out velo pro for sure, you best bet will be knapps aka snyder and elings Dh course it nice and was in decline a few weeks back for the gaint review. Plus is should be cleaned out because they are getting ready for a race.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
buffed out singletrack??? Do you mean "bombed out with rockgardens next to cliff"? If so, we have tons of that.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
Jesusita comes to mind........good mix of both rocks and more of the tame type stuff (it's really a fun trail)

I always take newbies on that trail to find out if they like it. I know they will so it's ok. From there San Ysidro/Coldsprings/Tunnel are all going to be more on a FR rig but anyone can ride it. Just a full suspension is easier on the body.

Elings park is not too hard BUT is close, you can park, go pedal a loop or 2, has a small DH course and some small jumps. It's a nice mix of stuff especially if you can't deal or find the shuttle drivers.

You can rent Marin bikes at Velo Pro on State Street. Knapps Castle trail might be a good trail for you both. It's smooth and fast with some jumps. Tunnel Trail is mostly all tech rocks and really fun. Coldsprings is longer with rockgardens like tunnel, but a lot more smooth singletrack. Romero has some has rocky sections, but is smoother than the other two in general. The lower part of the trail is a steep dirt road with hard turns (kamikazee like :D).
Got the bikes at Velo today, a Kona Dawg for Mrs. jonnynails and a Coiler for me. We hit Elings Park today, which was fun. A nice couple of loops and the DH was like a big slalom all bermed out with some nice small jumps. Where is Knapps Castle from state street? May head there tomorrow or Romero.

Thanks for the info everybody and if any of you ever make it to Asheville, NC hollar at me.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I think the trailhead is somewhere up East Camino Cielo off the 154. Maybe someone can tell you the exact location. I've heard it takes 10-15min to get down. Most people shuttle it. It's a quick shuttle. I think riding up is doable too.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
Look up online for Jesusita. It's about the only trail you'll be able to ride with minimal shuttle rides. You basicly go like you're going to the Santa Barbara Mission. When you intersect with Foothill you take a right, at the fire station take a left and head up until the road forks off. Hang to the left and take TUNNEL road all the way up. At the gate you start your pedal/hike and go to the top. Once at the top start your decent and hang to the right once you're going down the fire road. And there you have it. You'll end up at the water treatment plant OR steven's park depending on what instructions you get.

I dunno how long you're here for. I know on Wednesdays there is a group that meets at rocky nook park at like 5:30 that rides this trail. I'm sure they wouldn't mind some new faces on it.

Look up online for Jesusita. It's about the only trail you'll be able to ride with minimal shuttle rides. You basicly go like you're going to the Santa Barbara Mission. When you intersect with Foothill you take a right, at the fire station take a left and head up until the road forks off. Hang to the left and take TUNNEL road all the way up. At the gate you start your pedal/hike and go to the top. Once at the top start your decent and hang to the right once you're going down the fire road. And there you have it. You'll end up at the water treatment plant OR steven's park depending on what instructions you get.

I dunno how long you're here for. I know on Wednesdays there is a group that meets at rocky nook park at like 5:30 that rides this trail. I'm sure they wouldn't mind some new faces on it.
I think were going to hit Jesusita tomorrow - thanks for the directions. We rode Romero today. The wife went back down the fireroad while I did the trail down the creek. Great technical trail with a few sketchy exposed spots!!!

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
anyone gonna be shuttling Tunnel this weekend with room for an extra? I'm at the UCSB pretty much all summer and looking to ride. I'd drive my car, but it only has room for 2 bikes :'(.

Did the loop at Jesusita today. Nice trail, not as tech as the creek at Romero. Fun and fast, but have to watch out for the hikers. Going to hike up Knapps Castle tomorrow since I don't have a shuttle.

Mad respect to you Santa Barbarians - Lots of climbing to get to the goods and then nothing but rocks and exposed lines the whole way down. No wonder you guys kill the DH scene