Quantcast

Santa Barbara Bummer, Romero Canyon plowed

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Due to the fires the USFS have plowed the singletrack all the way to East Camino Cielo for firefighting vehicle access.:twitch: :disgust:
The canyon trail isn't affected though.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Interesting. I've ridden Romero maybe 6 or 7 times with a buddy and I have no clue what the hell you're talking about. I'll talk to my friend to see if he can put it in my terms. Either way, plowing ish sucks.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Due to the fires the USFS have plowed the singletrack all the way to East Camino Cielo for firefighting vehicle access.:twitch: :disgust:
The canyon trail isn't affected though.
I have it on good word that they only got as far down as the upper clearing before it turns into singletrack before they realized it was way too washed away. Just because it still appears as a "road" on a map does not mean that it physically can be used as one. It should all be intact except for the stretch between the water tower and the clearing, despite what the Independent might say.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
I have it on good word that they only got as far down as the upper clearing before it turns into singletrack before they realized it was way too washed away. Just because it still appears as a "road" on a map does not mean that it physically can be used as one. It should all be intact except for the stretch between the water tower and the clearing, despite what the Independent might say.
That might change they are still working in that area. They're not cutting access roads, they're clearing them out to be fuel breaks in case the fire moves that direction. They're going to be working on expanding out the breaks from Romero to Lake Casitas. If the winds more it that direction expect to see a lot of dozers, as it's the last line between the hills and the houses. They'll also get hand crews into areas the dozers can't get too.

toadalee

Chimp
Aug 21, 2007
I went to ride Romero and take pictures of the trail today (Tuesday). The Montecito fire guys were stopping anyone from ascending the trail. They said they were rolling a boulder down the trail today (via bulldozer) and that indeed they were bulldozing the road all the way. He said it is for emergency access to the top. It is much faster to get to the top and down the other side from Romero. He also said they were not quite to the river trail and were planning on finishing in 2 days. It was true that they called off the operation a couple days ago, but they got orders to resume. That's all I know right now.

|S2|

Chimp
May 1, 2003
Ventura
I suspect we can add a little interest to the new fire road. Perhaps it's time for a SB version of the Whoops.

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
I suspect we can add a little interest to the new fire road. Perhaps it's time for a SB version of the Whoops.
Something will have to happen, without any water control features its going to erode quickly.
Ironically there isn't much tread work we could do until it did rain.

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
^ When you do trial work up there, when it's possible, I'd like to help.
I won't be doing anything w/o approval of USFS, SBMTV. Its way too sensitive a political environment nowadays....Its also why our trails look like sh*t, you have to have bloody archaeologist hike it first to make sure you aren't messing up a Chumash grave. Which is pretty ironic after a goddamned bulldozer throws up an 8ft wide gash where a singletrack used to be.:bonk:

dwnhiller

Chimp
Apr 26, 2006
went to ride knapps this morning and was stopped by the fire ranger guys. they said the trail was closed due to bulldozers on the trail or what was a trail. i asked if just the top and bottem were getting recut and they said no, the whole thing top to bottem. they call that rehab work running a dozer down a singletrack. i hope they didnt really mean the whole trail.:disgust1: