Quantcast

Santa Barbara tomorrow

5150dhbiker

Turbo Monkey
Nov 5, 2007
Santa Barbara, CA
Hey, I was actually about to call you RIGHT before you called me and told me about your shock! We were packing up the truck for an evening CS run.

I'll be riding again on Sat. on Tunnel, CS and possibly another trail rain or shine :D

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
I'll be riding again on Sat. on Tunnel, CS and possibly another trail rain or shine :D
Not a great thing to do, it destory's the trails pretty bad when it rains and you go riding. To each their own I guess.

I know the SBMTV guys do a lot of work to keep them up and knowing how nasty it's suppose to rain I'd try and stay of the front trails. Doesn't make things look all that good for MTB'ers when we're out wrecking the trails in the rain.

5150dhbiker

Turbo Monkey
Nov 5, 2007
Santa Barbara, CA
Whatever, I'll stay away from it tomorrow I guess.

Btw, the last time I rode in the rain I caught a hiker setting up a trap in a VERY bad place on Tunnel (left hand corner before the waterfall that has the rebar on the right hand side as you round the corner). He was piling rocks right where the front wheel would land as you're making the turn.

I realize that hikers have a right to be upset I guess, but honestly, setting up a trap in that place would cause SEROUS injury, especially if your neck hit the rebar and the metal fencing.

Since I know alot of you guys deal with the hikers too...what's a good way to deal with that when I catch them in the act?

edit: sorry Pat for taking over your thread, lol.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Haha, it's cool. Usually my threads don't go past my original post.

You should bring at least a disposable camera with you riding to take pics. Pics of someone setting up a trap would be really good, and even pics of the trap or trap in progress when you see one. Take wide pics so you can see everything. Maybe put a bike in for scale. I always ride with disposable cameras in case I see any of that, but mostly just for riding pics. At Costco, you can get 3 for like $12.

I don't really know what do other than that. Wipe the lens with your shirt or something so you can get a clear shot of the nazi. Then make it down with the evidence and I guess report it to the police, after you get it printed.

Cult Hero

Chimp
Dec 28, 2007
Santa Barbara
I need to talk to you about who you saw setting up the trap. We have been working with the sheriff in regards to the trap settings. I was nailed with barbed wire about 6 mos back. We have yet to catch anyone in the act, but have suspected that the traps were maliciously set.

Can you give me details of what the person looked like, what they were wearing, when this was, and if you said anything to them, or them to you?

In the case of riding the trails in the rain it is not a matter so much of pissing off the hikers, as it is trail damage. We have a lot of rock bed in our trails but there are certain sections that get destroyed by tire tracks in wet. Damaging the trail while riding when they are wet is just makes more work for those of us who have to go out and repair.

Would you go ride a prime dirt jump spot in the rain? Same principles.