Quantcast

Santa Barbara Trails

5150dhbiker

Turbo Monkey
Nov 5, 2007
Santa Barbara, CA
So, since I could not afford to race Washington this weekend I reluctantly stayed home. Got out on our trails and realized that they need A LOT of work. They are all overgrown, and I don't just mean slightly overgrown but to the point where you can't see some of the trail, all you see is grass and branches.

Basically, I want to get a group of riders together in or around this area to come out and help work on the trails one of these weekends. The local hikers are not even working on them so I think it would be cool if we all came together to fix our trails :clapping:

Hopefully that will show the hikers that are against bikers that we do care about the trails and are maintaining them properly. Let me know what you guys think.

Edit: The two main trails that need work are Tunnel and San Ysidro.

Last edited:

5150dhbiker

Turbo Monkey
Nov 5, 2007
Santa Barbara, CA
Nice, thanks...never saw that one.

Ya, it would be nice for them to realize that we're serous about keeping our trails nice.

I've done work on them myself in the past, but it takes forever. With myself and another friend, it took us 6 hours to trim down tunnel.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
I think the brush will be getting cleared for you on Tunnel right about now.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
hopefully my house doesn't get cleared up with the brush. Exciting having a house right off tunnel road this past couple months.

Dec 20, 2005
looks like the fire may have been made by people trying to cut trails through the hillside on jesusita with power tools...

BMCarter

Monkey
Oct 10, 2007
Santa Barbara
If thats true that is horrible, we are ****ed if bikers are responsible for the fire........I mean royally ****ed. All of the "aging hippie liberal douches" in SB will pissed!

Anyone have an idea on how far up the fire burned tunnel? It looks like it burned almost all the way up to the waterfall area, but I couldn't get a good look at it.

William42, did your house make it?

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
A friend and I were planning on hiking up the Tunnel area, maybe bring some shovels and start cleaning it up. Anyone tried that recently? Is it closed/are we gonna get a ticket or something?

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Romero got plowed by bulldozers for firefighting access. rideable but the fireroad is loose.
On the canyon there was one minor rocksilde and one boulder thats pretty big in the trail. My buddy and I did some cleanup, but the boulder? That might require something heavyduty to remove...

m-dub

Chimp
Aug 10, 2006
Is Knaps cool? I know it didnt get burned but wondering if the road is open? I need a fix longer than Ellings!

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Is Knaps cool? I know it didnt get burned but wondering if the road is open? I need a fix longer than Ellings!
wUrd. Also, I heard from a friend that the top half of tunnel is just fine, a few small sections that are maybe a bit sketchier, but nothing close to unrideable. No word on the bottom section.

m-dub

Chimp
Aug 10, 2006
I just received this e-mail and thought I would pass it on.......Lets hope for the best as far as them re-opening.

On behalf of the Santa Barbara Mountain Bike Trail Volunteers (www.SBMTV.org) , I want to let everyone know about the trail closures in the SB Front Country as a result of the Jesusita Fires, and request your assistance getting the word out. I know many of you come up to enjoy these trails, so we need your help ensuring their recovery and continued access to mountain bikers.

All of the Front Country trails located within the Los Padres National Forest between Refugio Rd to the West and Cold Springs Trail to the East are closed to all access. This includes bikers, hikers, runners, and equestrians. Specific trail closures include Jesusita, Tunnel, West Fork Cold Springs, Arroyo Burro (frontside), and Tuckers Grove. Tunnel, Jesusita, and Arroyo Burro trails are almost 100% covered in rock slide debris and "ravel" - the baked and loosened top layer of soil.

Fortunately, the Romero trail complex and a few others remain open. However, since these are some of the few trails open they are seeing significantly more use, especially on weekends. Please keep this in mind and ride courteously and cautiously. SBMTV strongly encourages riders to ride with bells. We've placed bell boxes at the top and bottom trailheads if you don't have a bell or forgot yours.

Unfortunately, a small number of trail hikers, bikers, and runners have been ignoring the closures. Local anti-mtb voices are using this as justification for efforts to ban mtb's from Front Country trails. Tunnel Trail has long been under the gun for closures. With reports from local Sierra Club members that downhillers have been spotted on the burned-out Tunnel Trail, mtb'ers now find ourselves on the defensive. Please help us discourage anyone from using the closed trails until they re-open

A HUGE volunteer effort will be needed to recover these trails, but it can and will be done. In fact, we have an opportunity to repair these trails to be more sustainable in the long-run. Please consider helping those efforts when they arise. In the short-term, however, we need to give fire and cleanup crews the space they need to mop up, then give the trails time to recover before going in and rebuilding. With so much great riding still accessible in the SB backcountry, it shouldn't be too hard to give the Front Country trails a breather. Please help us spread the word.

If you have any questions or comments, or would like help selecting alternative rides in the area, please feel free to shoot me or anyone else from SBMTV an email. I can be reached at rick.margolin@ gmail.com, or check out www.SBMTV.org.

Many thanks,
Rick

Lets suck it up and obey this to keep any fuel for the anti-bike crew at bay. Lots of good memories in them their hills. Still a bit unsure about Knaps?

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Knapps is open. But just like Romero, its seeing increased use. Use bells and be cool about passing hikers. Stay off the closed trails! We need to be seen as responsible users or we will get screwed. San Ysidro is also open, as is Saddlerock and Gerards. Time to use those granny gears ;)

5150dhbiker

Turbo Monkey
Nov 5, 2007
Santa Barbara, CA
Decided to go flying today and take up a friend who's never been in a small plane. Didn't have much time to snap pics. but got this one of part of the burn area that went into the 154.