Quantcast

Santa Cruz area riding

schwaaa31

Turbo Monkey
Jul 30, 2002
Clinton Massachusetts
I’ll be out in the San Francisco area for a few days in early November. I’m hoping to get a day or two of riding in while I’m there. I’ve been looking in the Santa Cruz area, but I’m willing to go anywhere else close with decent bike rentals and good trails. DH is my favorite flavor of riding, but I know I’m going to be limited to trail riding and a trail bike. At least I think I am. Are the trails around UCSC worth a trip? I’ve seen that there are shuttles to or near the top of a trail system in the Demo Soquel forest. Any local input on those? I was thinking about renting directly from the Santa Cruz factory, but it says their bikes can’t be taken to Soquel. There seems to be a good selection of shops with decent rentals besides them though. Any info is appreciated.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Demo starts and ends with long fireroad grinds, the descents are ok on a trail bike, a DH bike is complete overkill. I live 90 minutes away and it's not worth the drive for me, every time I ride there I remember why it's not that great - that should tell you something. UCSC is a good time, I've only self shuttled though. For the best SC goods you should find a local who knows where the off the grid trails are. If DH is your jam you should check out Pacifica.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
UCSC is a good time for sure, but I'd say that you wouldn't want a DH bike there. You could go get a super nice demo bike from Santa Cruz Bikes HQ, then I would pedal laps on UCSC. It's pretty easy to figure out if you don't really care which specific trail you ride, they kind of spiderweb everywhere off of the main fire road so can be hard to navigate if you want something super specific. Definitely go to a reputable shop or find a local to give you directions.

Agree with @djjohnr on the Pacifica tip - while rentals may be tough in Pacifica, local guys used to train for DH out there on The Crack and The Mile, and everything is easy to find. The climb up is on an old road (mostly paved if memory serves) as well, I have pedaled a DH bike on it before and while it sucked, you can do it.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
UCSC is a good time for sure, but I'd say that you wouldn't want a DH bike there. You could go get a super nice demo bike from Santa Cruz Bikes HQ, then I would pedal laps on UCSC. It's pretty easy to figure out if you don't really care which specific trail you ride, they kind of spiderweb everywhere off of the main fire road so can be hard to navigate if you want something super specific. Definitely go to a reputable shop or find a local to give you directions.

Agree with @djjohnr on the Pacifica tip - while rentals may be tough in Pacifica, local guys used to train for DH out there on The Crack and The Mile, and everything is easy to find. The climb up is on an old road (mostly paved if memory serves) as well, I have pedaled a DH bike on it before and while it sucked, you can do it.
I don't think the Crack really exists anymore. At least when I was last there about 5 years ago, it was all over grown and not maintained like it once was. Mile long & boy scout were still fun.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
There is one nice and long DH trail in SC. I would say most are better on a Trail bike. It is super grippy and most are flow basedFYI. If you ride a rocky area like Central California and then go there it is like riding on velcro. Smooth velcro.....

schwaaa31

Turbo Monkey
Jul 30, 2002
Clinton Massachusetts
Thanks for the info. I was planning on renting a trail bike. Figured there wouldn’t be a need for full on DH. From all the videos I’ve watched, everything in SC seems very buffed out. No rocks to speak of. Are there any areas close by with any tech riding? Something close enough to rent a bike in SC and drive to?

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Thanks for the info. I was planning on renting a trail bike. Figured there wouldn’t be a need for full on DH. From all the videos I’ve watched, everything in SC seems very buffed out. No rocks to speak of. Are there any areas close by with any tech riding? Something close enough to rent a bike in SC and drive to?
For tech riding Pacifica is your best bet. However it would be easier/faster to rent a bike in SF and drive to Pacifica. The drive from Santa Cruz to Pacifica is over an hour. If you're set on renting a bike in SC UCSC is your best riding option...but no tech.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Rent a 6” travel bike.
Unless you are chasing a KOM on a 500 ft sector, a DH bike is overkill for the region.

All the best trails in the Bay/SC are unsanctioned, including UCSC.

check out Santa Cruz Bikes’ demo program.

Last edited: