Quantcast

Santa Cruz online pricing

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Im just curious as to what people think. Is it cheaper to buy a built up Santa Cruz bike or build your own with the exact parts you want? Their online pricing doesnt look that great to me.

Ideas?

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
Last two bikes I bought, I wondered the same question (albeit they weren't from SCB)...

so I made a spreadsheet and figured it out for sure instead of guessing.

From what I found, completes were a much better value than building up something custom. There could be exceptions to that though.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Most completes are cheaper. I agree.
Santa Cruz completes just dont look like they are that great of a deal.

Build it up with your parts. You would be paying full retail for the parts on the complete, and some of them you may end up replacing anyway.
A good bike shop doesnt charge you full retail when you have them build you a complete bike. They give you a better price on every part.

Last edited:

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Ive built 5 completes over that last few years. The bikes shops Ive delt with always gave me a discounted price because I bought every part through them.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless

A good bike shop doesnt charge you full retail when you have them build you a complete bike. They give you a better price on every part.
Go look at the X0 kit on a carbon nomad Vs say an S works enduro. It's about 1500$ cheeper, go look at a bullet with equivalent specs from another brand, right around 700$ across the board. Bike's are just super expensive, SC's completes are a pretty good deal when you compare to other brands

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
In all fairness, SCB do offer two different types of completes: the "package deals", which are what the LBS stocks, and the "custom offerings".

The custom offerings are not nearly as good of a deal, but probably because you're not taking advantage of the massive bulk buying power of the "package deals".

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
In all fairness, SCB do offer two different types of completes: the "package deals", which are what the LBS stocks, and the "custom offerings".

The custom offerings are not nearly as good of a deal, but probably because you're not taking advantage of the massive bulk buying power of the "package deals".
that XO kit I was talking about wasn't a package deal, still 1500$ less than the enduro and a better spec too boot, with a king headset, formula ones, DT wheels, and 15G cranks. SC is also very smart on how they spec bikes, just look at that 2500$ bullet, it has a DT rear hub and 321 rims. Everything else in the 3000 range have some generic alex of formula hubs

waterdogs

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Upstate SC
Last two bikes I bought, I wondered the same question (albeit they weren't from SCB)...

so I made a spreadsheet and figured it out for sure instead of guessing.

From what I found, completes were a much better value than building up something custom. There could be exceptions to that though.
I did the same thing and agree. I prob won't build up from nothing again, as it's cost me an arm and a leg. I'll buy a complete bike next time, then just take off the parts I don't want before they are used, sell em, then replace with what I really want. Doing that math, it should work out better than what I just went through.