Quantcast

Santa Cruz Superlight opinions

rockracing

Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Cape Town, South Africa
hi all
can anyone tell me anything about these frames -good or bad (zibbler if you're reading these please delete a PM so I can PM - ta)

considering ordering one from the states, oh and anyone deal with phattire.com ?

use: xc riding and racing for 5'6" 135lb weenie.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I've had mine for the past 4 seasons. I race it and generally beat the piss out of it. I really really really love the bike, I could go on for days how great it is but I am lazy so I will just go over the things that I consider drawbacks.

-Shock bushings wear out quickly, about every 1000 miles.
-Not the stiffest frame around but at 155lbs I don't notice it, at 135lbs I really doubt you will.
-I think Santa Cruz ships them with 80mm travel forks. This gives the bike very quick handling, great if you ride really tight singletrack. If you ride where things are more wide open go for a 100mm fork that will slack things out a bit.
-The rear suspension is plush and I think it pedals better than most bikes with more complicated designs that I have tried (FSR, VPP etc). Now if you take a big hit while in granny gear you will feel some feedback in the pedals. I have never felt this on the trail because I use the granny gear to climb and don't take any big hits. After hearing others complain about this I tried to reproduce it by hitting a curb while in granny.

rockracing

Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Cape Town, South Africa
thanks westy, had a look at one a the LBS, looks like it could be just the ticket, except I'm more of a small than a medium, and they say go medium, rather smaller than bigger eh ?

oh, will put my 80mm for on the front.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
I think you should go with the medium...my wife is 5'2" and she rides a small and it fits her perfect. She has had hers since 2000. I expected her to eventually ask for a new frame but she loves it and plans on riding it until it breaks...D

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
The Superlight is a popular lightweight xc frame. It seems like everyone knows of at least one person who rides one. One of my riding buddies has one and he likes it a lot.

trailblazer

Monkey
May 2, 2005
Jamaica
i love my superlight
all XTR duallies with avid bb's american classic/XM 819s full UST
thompson/psylo

yours will have a new shock with no bob. You will get the full travel and not squish. This bike rocks.