Quantcast

Santa Cruz takes care of one of their own.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
sayndesyn said:
Santa Cruz went up in my book when they kept him on the team after the accident. That would of been some bad PR for sure, but I'm doubtful alot of companies would of done that.
A similar, if more extreme, example would be Armstrong being dropped by Cofidis. Not sure it hurt the team that much, but it certainly didn't help them in the long run...

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
It's nice to see a company taking care of their riders. Waddell is a true fighter, and it's nice to see that he never really left the scene--despite his serious injury.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Dude, the companies owned by Rob Roskopp! You couldn't ask for a more stand up guy in any industry. He rocks as a person, rocked as a skater, now he rocks as an owner. I would expect nothing less from the guy.

That is a great story none the less.

Bikerpunk241

Monkey
Sep 28, 2001
"Two thumbs WAY up for Santa Cruz!"
-Mike Howse Today

I always knew that Johnny would make the recovery.

roberts

Monkey
Apr 24, 2005
When the accident happened, and SC stated they'd cover all medical bills, I vowed that if I could afford it, my next bike would be a SC.

Like Patagonia, SC seems to put value on something other than just $.

If you have not seen it, the wipe out is horrific. Waddell just launches over the bars mid flight on a giant jump (50 foot, I'd guess) and lands on his head. Some speculated that his front brake locked up.

Who knows, but I am glad to see him riding. Although it's interesting that he is not riding DH. I wonder if he has had a full recovery.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Oh my god. That crash was horrible. It's good SC signed him again, not many companies would do the same.

HRDTLBRO

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2004
Apt. 421
It's good to see them still supporting Johnny, and it's even better that they've never left him since his accident. I'd agree that Santa Cruz is one of the most stand-up companies in the way they treat customers, racers, and produce kick-ass products. That footage almost makes me sick to watch...

Heath Sherratt

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
In a healthy tension
Cannondale has treated me the same way. After my wreck (broken neck,back,jaw and tooth) they tottally supported me and even re-listed me to the team before they even knew I would recover. The entire staff and MTB team sent me cards for encouragement, laughter, and support. I have been embraced like a family member and I am just an expert rider dong my own thing. It is great to see companies that really live out the dream and love on their peeps. Community=come-unity. Keepin' it real in 2006.