Quantcast

Santa Cruz Zerk Fitting Replacement

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
I have a banged up zerk fitting on my 2012 (holy crap, has it really been that long) Santa Cruz Tallboy. Has anyone ever replaced one of these? I see some people indicating that they may be threaded, but more suggesting press fit. It would be nice to source one through McMaster etc prior to pulling the thing out.

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
I've never replaced one, and my bike is out in the garage, so I can't check at the moment, but if it has a hex on the base there's a high probability it's threaded, likely an M6 thread. If that's the case, you should be able to find some at a local auto parts store.

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
I've never replaced one, and my bike is out in the garage, so I can't check at the moment, but if it has a hex on the base there's a high probability it's threaded, likely an M6 thread. If that's the case, you should be able to find some at a local auto parts store.
Actually, from the SC manual it does state that they're press fit. Should be able to pull and then tap for a threaded replacement.

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
Actually, from the SC manual it does state that they're press fit. Should be able to pull and then tap for a threaded replacement.
Who reads manuals? Nerd. (just kidding)

But seriously, I'm not even sure where my manual is, I would've probably looked at their website and emailed tech support.

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
Who reads manuals? Nerd. (just kidding)

But seriously, I'm not even sure where my manual is, I would've probably looked at their website and emailed tech support.
Ha, yeah. It was the exploded diagram on their website. Definitely do not still have the manual from 2012.

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
If anyone who comes across this in the future wants to torture themselves, I found that these are a very close match:

Was able to yank out the old one with vice grips and tap in the new one. Have to see whether or not the press fit is tight enough to hold longer term. Hopefully at least long enough for me to sell the bike.