Quantcast

Santa Cruz's evolution

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
I have been riding a single pivot Santa Cruz Heckler since 2003, and I am relatively cheap so to get me to part from my cash onto something new and shiny really took a lot of doing.

Version 1.0 circa August 2003

Version 2.0 Circa June 2008

And now the beggining of a new era

And while I was traveling a few more parts arrived.

And all together

Now I just need to tear down the trusty Heckler, swap some parts mainly:
Hope Evo hubs and DT Swiss wheelset
Shimano STX cranks
Hayes Stroker trail brakes
Rockshox Reverb seat post
2x9 X9 Drivetrain

Then it will be time to giver a go. I would really like to thank Santa Cruz for blowing out their frames while Competitive cyclist was blowing out the 36. I mean I couldnt put my old fork on that new frame, besides the money was only earning me .45 basis points, who needs that when you can have a Carbon and Kashima goodness combo.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
My take on Santa Cruz bikes is no matter the design they all ride nice. I had access to a friends bullit and rode it like it was my own.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
So it was either ride the Heckler today or start the tear down and build up. I chose option B.

So I knew the hard part was going to be the headset & starnut install. I considered doing it myself with handtools, but then had a moment of clarity and headed over to my LBS Ultimate Bikes in Matthews, NC. They pressed in the headset, cut my steerer a little and installed the starnut. Having the right tools to do that made it look oh so easy. I can only imagine how long it would have taken me. Besides I needed to purchase some cables and housing anyway.

Back from Ultimate

It took me quite a bit of time to tear down the Heckler and clean some of the parts.

Almost 3 hours later

Now to just ride it a bit, check the stack height, and set up the shock and fork.