Quantcast

Santa Fe, nm. What to do??

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
The girl and I will be doing a spur of the moment road trip for a few days and picked New Mexico as we both haven't been there. Santa Fe is about 6 1/2hrs, so we are gonna head there.

Any monkeys have suggestions on what to do and where to go for a few days? Breweries, attractions, museums, sights, sounds, etc. we will be leaving tomorrow morning until Thursday.

Thanks!

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Eat as much green chile as you can tolerate. Other than that... I haven't got much. The art scene is rumored to be great if you're into that sort of stuff. Oh - go via Taos and eat moar green chile there too.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
vaguely remember driving through there as a kid on our way from texas to pagosa springs, colorado.

or maybe it was albuquerque..

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
10,000 waves Spa is great
The saturday morning flea market (out towards Espanola; a destination of its own for lowriders) used to be epic and is fun
Bandolier state (national?) park has cool indian ruin stuff
Day trip to the Jemez hot springs
Bum around town drunk on tequila with a belly full of chile

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
Canyon Road is alright. There are only a handful of galleries that I thought were worth spending much time in though. Outside of those it was all pretty much the same. Some of the ones that I remember liking were Chalk Farm Gallery, Turner Carroll Gallery and Nuart. If you do go down there, find a gallery that you like, and then ask the folks there which others they recommend.

Santa Fe Brewing is solid. Chicken Killer Barleywine is the most memorable of their beers that I've had, but I remember the others being decent.

Most people seem to like the Palace of the Governors. I find it sort of depressing.

I'll third Bandelier and second Los Alamos.

Pagosa Springs is a great stop, but will be out of your way.

NuMexJoe

Monkey
Aug 20, 2007
I'll recommend a visit to Shidoni Foundry/Gallery, 10 min out of town on Bishop's Lodge Rd. Call ahead and visit when they're pouring/casting if you can. Yeah, the O'Keefe museum is supposed to be very nice, although I've not made it there yet. If you need more LA info, hit me up. There's a Y'all Come social MTB ride T-day at 10:30. I could loan you two a couple bikes if you feel the need to go for a spin. Have a good visit,
- Joe

Colonel Angus

Monkey
Feb 15, 2005
land of the green chiles
10,000 waves Spa is great
The saturday morning flea market (out towards Espanola; a destination of its own for lowriders) used to be epic and is fun
Bandolier state (national?) park has cool indian ruin stuff
Day trip to the Jemez hot springs
Bum around town drunk on tequila with a belly full of chile

Only go to 10,000 Waves if you can afford a private tub. The communal tub would be more suited to the likes of DirtMcGirk, if you know what I mean....

Sorry to say, the flea market has been teh suck ever since Tesuque Pueblo took it over. I would go to the Farmers Market at the railyard instead. Also at the Railyard, Second Street Brewing has great beer and food, and is not the 20-minute trek out to Santa Fe Brewing, where the beer is also good but there is no food.

Also on the beer front, Marble Brewing has a tasting room / restaurant overlooking the Plaza, great place to get happy whilst people-watching.

For dinner, The Shed is pretty good but their chile could be hotter. Tomasita's at the railyard is OK if you're on the cheap, Marias is much better but spendier.

Unless you're biking every day, a trip south ~40 minutes south to Kasha Katuwe Tent Rocks near Cochiti Lake is well worth the drive. Amazing rock formations and a small slot canyon lead to amazing views, maybe 3 miles each way.

Bandelier is also worth the drive, but you have to take a shuttle from White Rock these days. Still pretty cool.