Quantcast

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Just checking as the large groups of roadies and MTB'ers wife and I had to avoid on our afternoon ride today had us questioning - has CV19 gone away now that it's after Memorial Day??

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
My employer lost a fleet service lady this week to COVID.
We lost someone in our factory early on which prompted three weeks of suspended operations. Company seems to have done an excellent job of protecting people after starting back up.

Last edited:

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
We are all properly fucked in lat-am.

Real quarantines are unenforceble. They can be realistically sustained for 1-2 weeks at most.
After that, people would rather risk it and leave to work than stay indoors. And city/public spaces layouts make it impossible to socially distance.
Cant say i wouldnt do the same.

I was reading about a district in Lima. 300k people, only 2 bank offices and 2 major markets (no supermarkets) open for 6 hours a day each.
Market workers have been tested at 40-90% postive after 8 weeks of "quarantine" around the country

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

Real quarantines are unenforceble. They can be realistically sustained for 1-2 weeks at most.
After that, people would rather risk it and leave to work than stay indoors. And city/public spaces layouts make it impossible to socially distance.

I was reading about a district in Lima. 300k people, only 2 bank offices and 2 major markets (no supermarkets) open for 6 hours a day each.
Market workers have been tested at 40-90% postive after 8 weeks of "quarantine" around the country
Sounds like a Republican dream world

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp

Seems pretty common everywhere.

Thats one thing I don't understand about some places like grocery stores, banks etc reducing hours. They are as busy as ever, but are reducing hours to reduce risk? How? So now you have the same amount of people trying to get into the bank or store, in a much shorter period of time. Now there are lines outside the stores, lines inside of the stores....crazy man.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!

I beg to differ. We've been in lockdown for ~80 days here in Argentina. Only the essential shops are allowed to open (hardware stores, food, pharmacies, grocery shops). Last Sunday the conditions were relaxed a bit for the rural districts, but the main metropolitan areas will remain under the same restrictions as before because that's where most new cases are showing up. People are still adhering to the 6ft minimal distance when forming in a line, and public transport is only available to those working on sectors deemed essential by the government.

As a comparison, when the emergency situation was declared in Argentina and Brazil, there two confirmed deaths and about the same number of positive cases (~30) in both countries, while today (almost 80 days later) we have 492 deceased/13900 positive cases and Brazil has almost 25k deceased/390k positive cases.

Lockdown works, if you have the Government helping those who can't go to work and with appropriate social education.

EDIT: Bolsonaro is calling the populace to arm against those Governors trying to enforce social distancing/lockdown.

Here in Argentina we just had a Libertarian rally in the capital city (Buenos Aires, under the government of the right party, Cambiemos) two days ago to protest against the mandatory isolation. They managed to gather less than 300 assholes who didn't respect the minimal distance recommendations, and on top of it the organizers never showed up. The Capital city has its own police force, and the rally should have been dispersed by that force, but since the right is trying to screw everything up, the police simple looked the other way.

Last edited:

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
I beg to differ. We've been in lockdown for ~80 days here in Argentina. Only the essential shops are allowed to open (hardware stores, food, pharmacies, grocery shops). Last Sunday the conditions were relaxed a bit for the rural districts, but the main metropolitan areas will remain under the same restrictions as before because that's where most new cases are showing up. People are still adhering to the 6ft minimal distance when forming in a line, and public transport is only available to those working on sectors deemed essential by the government.

As a comparison, when the emergency situation was declared in Argentina and Brazil, there two confirmed deaths and about the same number of positive cases (~30) in both countries, while today (almost 80 days later) we have 492 deceased/13900 positive cases and Brazil has almost 25k deceased/390k positive cases.

Lockdown works, if you have the Government helping those who can't go to work and with appropriate social education.
I dont know man
Screenshot_20200527-142306_Chrome.jpg

And i think those numbers are probably low because there have been only like 130k tests in argentina vs 44 million people.. while Peru/Chile have tested about 3% of the population already.

I would say Chile is the best equipped to manage a pandemic in the hood, and they are taking a beating as well.

Last edited:

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
I dont know man
View attachment 145725

And i think those numbers are probably low because there have been only like 130k tests in argentina vs 44 million people.. while Peru/Chile have tested about 3% of the population already
My bad, the 492 deceases were from yesterday.

Masive tests aren't the only answer. You don't have infinite resources, and contact tracing does a better job to help you contain the disease from spreading too fast. Our main advantage was having just a couple of entry points (the international airports are in Buenos Aires), being submerged in a deep economic crisis (which prevented having a lot of people traveling overseas) and quickly closing the borders*. So most of the cases are in the main urban conglomerate around Buenos Aires. Several provinces have no cases at all. And closing the inner borders between them has also helped them to stay that way.

* for a comparison, Brazil closed its borders last Sunday. Peru did it on March 16, the same day as Argentina.

EDIT: this graph summarizes it pretty well:

(Source)

Also, Chile doesn't do post mortem tests. If anyone reports a dead person with no relation to a positive-testing case, it won't be included in the statistics.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Japan didn't test massively, either. Just lots of tracing and hygienic practices--non-contact greetings and mask-wearing already as part of the culture.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
stay safe @ALEXIS_DH @slimshady ... as much as you can anyway.
Thanks pal! We're trying to stay at home the best we can.

Isolation feels natural for me, since I've been a home worker for the past 10 years. My wife has reconverted her fashion store to sell over the net (it was just a small part of her business before the coronaggedon). My 7 YO kid is having the worst part, not being able to see his friends or leave the house except to go to a couple of our friends' homes. The Playstation/PC/Netflix combo has got utterly boring for the little fellow.

If anything, I miss riding. Can't wait to get back to the trails. Living near Buenos Aires has its disadvantages after all, since most of the Andes provinces are loosening the restrictions and allowing people to ride solo.

Last edited: