Quantcast

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I'd be very surprised if the average Kiwi couldn't point out Cailfonia, Florida, Texas (but be totally lost if you asked for say "Vermont" or the like.)
I can proudly say I can identify both the North and South Islands of NZ

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
First of all, New Zealand the other side of the "globe", and everybody knows the earth is flat, therefore New Zealand is a lie, and DaveW is clearly a crisis actor,. Do some research SHEEPLE!

In other news, anybody have a good source for reasonably priced, non shittacular cloth masks? Don't want to use a pair of cut up underwear, all the local Karens sewing them up are doing ill fitting glorified maxi-pads, I'd like something with a point and metal band over the nose for superior sunglasses fit and fog prevention, and that's designed for a normal sized human face, my current assortment suck, and it looks like I'm going to be wearing one for a while, may as well wear something un-terrible.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
I'd be very surprised if the average Kiwi couldn't point out Cailfonia, Florida, Texas (but be totally lost if you asked for say "Vermont" or the like.)
Cause they were taught early "places to avoid at all cost"

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Just an update for those who are interested.

30 minutes north of Montreal. 90% no mask, no new cases, no deaths. Life here is back to normal. People are gathering in large group on rides, hugging, taking group photos, etc.

No mask for me yet, still riding only with my girls. Still avoiding public places and ordering groceries online and watching everything unfold from a safe distance.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I find a lot of this to be bullshit.

Wearing glasses, EVERYTHING fucking fogs my glasses for one. To not fog, then I need a sealing mask, which does restrict breathing and most of the people that are posting this crap are just standing around. I want to see them go climb 5 or 10 floors of stairs with the N95 or P100 with the oximeter, with glasses on. I wear my mask in public/businesses and stuff, but I'm getting tired of these memes with a nurse sitting and show their O2 levels with and without a mask.

Pretty soon, I'm just going to say fuck it, wear it all the time, and just run into people and objects all the time because I can't see.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I find a lot of this to be bullshit.

Wearing glasses, EVERYTHING fucking fogs my glasses for one. To not fog, then I need a sealing mask, which does restrict breathing and most of the people that are posting this crap are just standing around. I want to see them go climb 5 or 10 floors of stairs with the N95 or P100 with the oximeter, with glasses on. I wear my mask in public/businesses and stuff, but I'm getting tired of these memes with a nurse sitting and show their O2 levels with and without a mask.

Pretty soon, I'm just going to say fuck it, wear it all the time, and just run into people and objects all the time because I can't see.
Ok Karen.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Also if your pulseox drops that drastically climbing 5 to 10 flights of stairs, wearing a mask probably isn't your biggest problem.
A relatively small change in your % is a big deal. Dropping to 95 is huge. Point is your surgeon with a surgical mask is just standing around. As soon as I exert, just hiking up a trail, I fog up. I'm not sure what the solution is, if there is some kind of mask that just seals the top, like the top of a N95, but not sealed at the bottom, then it creates a jet where the air is escaping at the bottom of the mask both ways, rather than breathing through the cloth. If it's an actual sealing mask to avoid this, then the restriction in breathing/air is significant (I've tried).

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
A relatively small chance in your % is a big deal. Dropping to 95 is huge. Point is your surgeon with a surgical mask is just standing around. As soon as I exert, just hiking up a trail, I fog up. I'm not sure what the solution is, if there is some kind of mask that just seals the top, like the top of a N95, then it creates a jet where the air is escaping at the bottom of the mask, rather than breathing through the cloth. If it's an actual sealing mask to avoid this, then the restriction in breathing/air is significant (I've tried).
It's a big drop but 95% isn't concerning. 90% is a problem. You still won't be seeing that kind of drop just going up some stairs without some other underlying medical condition.

Also not all surgeons "just stand around". Got any idea how hard it is to hammer in an intramedullary nail?

Also, re: fogging: contacts.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
A relatively small change in your % is a big deal. Dropping to 95 is huge. Point is your surgeon with a surgical mask is just standing around. As soon as I exert, just hiking up a trail, I fog up. I'm not sure what the solution is, if there is some kind of mask that just seals the top, like the top of a N95, but not sealed at the bottom, then it creates a jet where the air is escaping at the bottom of the mask both ways, rather than breathing through the cloth. If it's an actual sealing mask to avoid this, then the restriction in breathing/air is significant (I've tried).
Can you not get glasses that are coated with antifog and a mask with an exhale vent?

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
The exhale vent defeats the whole purpose of the mask. Remember these are supposed to primarily keep your cooties in, not other people’s cooties out.
I know, but at least he is protected and also can follow the rules. I would not walk into a nursing home with one of these though. And I guess a bandana is not much better than a mask with valve as at least the droplets are kept in and aerosols are a problem with both.
And if your glasses fog up then that shows that the mask is venting anyway, just in the wrong spot.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I wear glasses and can make it work. I don't like a mask when exerting, but that's due to restricted breathing, not fog.

For fog reduction I find it helpful, but not entirely necessary, to use a mask with the little bendable metal nose band. You can get a tighter fit so your exhaled breath goes down into the mask, not up into your glasses. Also, if your glasses are fogging up your mask is not really doing the job regardless, at least as I understand it.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Goddammit you whiny cake eaters, wear the freakin mask. Oooh no It’s too hard to breath. Bullshit. What’s really hard is breathing with lungs full of fluid.

Wear it, and embrace the added difficulty as additional resistance training for your lungs. Hans und Franz those babies.

If I can hit the mood stabilizer while hiking up steep rocks with a full pack then y’all can breath thru a little piece of cloth.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I wear glasses and can make it work. I don't like a mask when exerting, but that's due to restricted breathing, not fog.

For fog reduction I find it helpful, but not entirely necessary, to use a mask with the little bendable metal nose band. You can get a tighter fit so your exhaled breath goes down into the mask, not up into your glasses. Also, if your glasses are fogging up your mask is not really doing the job regardless, at least as I understand it.
Non sequitur, ALL masks that people are using, except for the N95/P100s that are intended to make a seal, are shooting air up on your eyes. You only notice it with glasses when exerting. I've tried this with many different kinds. Also, if it's not a sealing mask, sealing the top will make the air shoot out the bottom much more. It seems "most" of your breath goes through the mask if it's cloth, but enough goes through the top to fog glasses, even just the vapor from your face/heat/etc., not even the breath all the time. But when you seal one side, it works more like a bag when you breathe than a mask, taking the path of least resistance, shooting out the bottom. I just see people being ignorant to this. Ignorance is bliss though...

Where are you getting all your masks with the little bendy metal parts?

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Where are you getting all your masks with the little bendy metal parts?
I bought ours from a MTB buddy who diversified his clothing company to make them at the start of this:

Atomic Dog

doesn't have a custom title yet.
Oct 22, 2002
In the basement at Weekly World News
I got a promoted post on facebook recently from my (R) Congressional representative asking will everyone in Eastern Washington please mask up. The vitriol in the comments of people proclaiming their disgust for ever voting for him and calling him a sellout and traitor is quite amusing.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
if only common sense was fucking contagious...
You look back at the response to the 1918 flu and think, what a buncha dummies, they knew not to gather in crowds without masks on, that just helped it spread and become more deadly!

100 years of understanding and medical advances later, and we still didn't learn a damn thing from it. Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it, unless of course they don't wear a mask and teh covidz takes them out.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
100 years of understanding and medical advances later, and we still didn't learn a damn thing from it.
Well most of us get it, unfortunately we are at the mercy of the lowest common denominator, which is a bunch selfish morons who distort their perception of reality to align with what they want to be true, not the actual truth.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I went for a breakfast burrito this morning and took notice.
In the 10-ish minutes I was outside Santiago's a total of 11 people came and went.
Me-mask
7 men- 1 mask, 6 without
3 women- 3 masks

edit: to further filter, of those 6 without I think all of them at least appeared to be laborers/construction and Hispanic.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I went for a breakfast burrito this morning and took notice.
In the 10-ish minutes I was outside Santiago's a total of 11 people came and went.
Me-mask
7 men- 1 mask, 6 without
3 women- 3 masks

edit: to further filter, of those 6 without I think all of them at least appeared to be laborers/construction and Hispanic.
How was the food prepared, did they follow the below guidelines?

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
Well most of us get it, unfortunately we are at the mercy of the lowest common denominator, which is a bunch selfish morons who distort their perception of reality to align with what they want to be true, not the actual truth.
And it is these very morons that are bitching the absolute loudest that they can't do this or that, or that something is closed etc. etc. and THEY are the very reason for it. Irony is a bitch I guess.