Quantcast

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I barely want to be around people, no way would I want mini germ factories going to school and coming home with fresh germs in the current world.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
one of the things i'm concerned about is the lack of social interaction, which at my kids' ages (3 and 5) is still crucial for their development. in the big scheme of things, i certainly don't think that outweighs the potential health risks, and it's not like they're the only ones facing this. there's gonna a whole generation of kids that this is gonna impact.

the other implication is that we'd essentially be home schooling them, which for me means i'd have to alter my working hours to accommodate teaching. i'm WFH for the foreseeable future (ie into next year) and i have the flexibility to do so. i get that not many parents have that option, unfortunately.

The AAP thinks the risks are outweighed by the rewards https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/30/us/coronavirus-schools-reopening-guidelines-aap.html

Hard to actually form an educated opinion because we hear about devastating cases, and new Covid complications in children, but never any info about the prevalence, is it 1 kid who had devastating lifelong complications, or 100,000, that is going to have to be part of an honest calculation of the risk vs. reward. If the CDC is right, and we have 30m cases, not 3m, then I'm inclined to say the risk is relatively minimal, or at least no worse than many of the risks we've accepted for years in schools. There is no clean answer, the choices are all bad, but we do need to look at the entire picture, something I've seen for virtually zero leaders at any level in the country.

My wife's school has a board meeting tonight to go over the three plans they've identified for next fall, with a follow up union meeting to discuss how it effects teachers, and then they'll maybe come to a consensus on how to proceed.

The biggest sticking point is child care. You're in the minority, the vast majority of parents can't watch their kids and work, even while working from home, it's either/or for them. You're either going to see many of these households with children drop to single income, or one of a couple different childcare scenarios will play out. Either parents will have to send their kids to a licensed day-care, which costs a shitload and defeats the purpose of closing/limiting schools, but at least day-cars can be regulated and rules about cleaning and disinfecting can be enforced, or parents who can't afford day-care, or simply can't find a an opening will drop their kids off at a friend's house who's running an illegal day-care, good luck enforcing social distancing and sanitation rules there. The fourth, and perhaps worst option is to drop the kids off at Grandma's house. Given 4 terrible alternatives, I'm inclined to say schools do infact need to be open, at least for elementary and middle school as it strikes the best balance between risk and reward.

My Wife teaches highschool, so it's less of a concern for her students in particular as most can stay home alone, but the big issue the Union is looking at tonight is what happens to teachers who have young kids at home. Most are not bringing home the main paycheck in their dual income families, so if one or the other parent is going to have to quit working in order to take care of the kids, it'll be the teacher. That leaves schools short on teachers, and the Union is worried about those teachers being screwed out of their retirement, tenure and senior status, not to mention a lack of teaching staff right as there's more demand placed on teachers due to remote learning.

Right now she's teaching summer school, mainly as a beta tester of the school's fully online curriculum and it's not going well. Granted these are not high achiever's, they're in summer school for a reason, but getting them to pay attention, participate and turn in their work is damn near impossible. If the fall semester is to be 100% remote learning, it seems like we'd be better off just cancelling it, calling it summer 2.0 and running year-round school until we've made up for lost classroom time in a few years.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Wonder why he is suddenly so fond of following these countries. Aren't they shithole states run by communists?

BTW: in Denmark opening the schools went surprisingly well so far (now summer vacation time). In Germany there are a couple of reports where schools had to close after Covid cases of students.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Yes.
Along with feeling like I have a concussion for most of the day lately. Got some other weird shit going on too. Started last week.
Well shoot. I feel like this has lingered for months now. No real respiratory issues other than a dry cough, but damn near daily fatigue that is unusual even for my lazy ass.

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
We just got announcement about 'blended learning' for NYC schools.

My kid starts high school this fall, which, one, damn, wasn't he just starting kindergarten last year and B., in NYC, it's already stressful because kids have to tour, apply, rank, and often interview and test to get into a HS you want (multiple times because you are doing this for multiple schools). Kids're expected to list 13 schools. Mostly kids'll get into one of their top 3 choices, but not always. That said, smarty-pants got his first choice.

So not only starting brand new at a new school, but having to figure out and navigate all the bullshit that comes with high school while the school is trying to figure how to school in a totally new way. There is the option for kids to be completely remote, which I guess will be good when Covid Cool Fresh Mint Wave 2 hits.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Well shoot. I feel like this has lingered for months now. No real respiratory issues other than a dry cough, but damn near daily fatigue that is unusual even for my lazy ass.
I felt absolutely fine throughout the end of May/June other than yep, this weird itchy dry cough.

I've been sleeping like 10+hrs a day just feeling zapped. My face keeps going numb. For some reason I felt like I was having a heart attack one day last week and for about 30 minutes my oxymeter was giving me 80-88%.

It kind of started after I went for kind of an ass kicker of a bike ride two sundays ago. I've never felt like I was going to black out on a bike ride but did for some reason. I haven't felt right since then.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
It kind of started after I went for kind of an ass kicker of a bike ride two sundays ago. I've never felt like I was going to black out on a bike ride but did for some reason. I haven't felt right since then.
well shoot x2 ... since I've been sick I bonked on a ride worse than ever, literally couldn't stand up from dizziness and almost a vertigo sensation, couldn't slow my breathing for like 20 minutes. I chalked it up to being dehydrated + scorcher of a day.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
OH BOY

I thought that this was commonly accepted. Ya know, why we should wear masks?

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
I thought that this was commonly accepted. Ya know, why we should wear masks?
I seem to remember on like day 4 of Covidpocolypsesome study of a Chinese restaurant where they believed people were infected via air conditioning, so yeah, pretty sure this has been known for a long long time. I feel like I’ve seen new evidence of airborne transmission at least every other week since then too.

Say what you will about the US plan to leave the WHO, they do really seem like a bunch of fucking morons are running the WHO.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I seem to remember on like day 4 of Covidpocolypsesome study of a Chinese restaurant where they believed people were infected via air conditioning, so yeah, pretty sure this has been known for a long long time. I feel like I’ve seen new evidence of airborne transmission at least every other week since then too.

Say what you will about the US plan to leave the WHO, they do really seem like a bunch of fucking morons are running the WHO.
That is very possible. But let's be clear, Trump leaving is clearly just an attempt to blame someone else for his own disastrous response, of which he keeps doubling down on.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

Have you read why the WHO hasn't backed the free flowing aerosol theory yet? It's understandable. There are people who have tried to prove it but failed. The truth is that it's just too early, and they can't spout theories on guidance yet. I have no doubt that this stuff can be transmitted that way, but they have a procedure they have to follow before putting out guidance.

And don't forget, the WHO is the reason any of us even knew this existed in november.

This whole system sucks, even if I understand why it is the way it is. I couldn't get past screening to get a test in late march because my fever only lasted 2 days when everyone paying attention already knew that wasn't a 100% symptom.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
That’s why I posted a gif of someone blowing huge vape clouds a few day before the 200+ signed letter was reported. Just watch how far one of those clouds travels as it lingers in the air. Way, way further than 6 feet.

Also would like to know if they factored humidity into their outdoor tests. Does it stay in the air longer with more humidity or less ?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
That’s why I posted a gif of someone blowing huge vape clouds a few day before the 200+ signed letter was reported. Just watch how far one of those clouds travels as it lingers in the air. Way, way further than 6 feet.

Also would like to know if they factored humidity into their outdoor tests. Does it stay in the air longer with more humidity or less ?
It's long been suspected, now there's growing evidence to back it up.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
That is very possible. But let's be clear, Trump leaving is clearly just an attempt to blame someone else for his own disastrous response, of which he keeps doubling down on.
No doubt, but I've yet to hear anybody of any importance separate the two issues, the WHO's response has been laughable, and Trump is using it to deflect because his response has also been pathetic. Trump isn't wrong in many of his claims about the WHO's failings, he's only wrong in his motivation for making such claims.

Have you read why the WHO hasn't backed the free flowing aerosol theory yet? It's understandable. There are people who have tried to prove it but failed. The truth is that it's just too early, and they can't spout theories on guidance yet. I have no doubt that this stuff can be transmitted that way, but they have a procedure they have to follow before putting out guidance.

And don't forget, the WHO is the reason any of us even knew this existed in november.

Fabulous, I'll send them out a shiny gold star for acknowledging a thing we saw broadcast on CNN as existing. The WHO is also the reason we believed it couldn't be transmitted person to person, that China had it under control, they recommended against masks (not just no opinion, actually against them) hell somebody from the WHO tweeted at a-symptomatic people can't transmit it, something that's been repeated as "fact" ever since. The function of the WHO should be something beyond retweeting Chinese media reports, I'm aware of the other important functions of the WHO worldwide, but strictly speaking of their response to this pandemic, it's hard to understand why they exist at all.

They, like Trump, are very eager to share unproven theory when it's perceived as good news, but exceedingly hesitant to share it when it's negative and thus potentially helpful. What would be the harm of a statement along the lines of "We have not established concrete proof of aerosol transmission, but the evidence we have at this moment leads us to believe that there's a high probability of transmission via aerosol"? Is that going to hurt anybody? Slow down or hinder a response in any way? They certainly have more concrete evidence of aerosol transmission today than they had showing masks to be harmful, yet they stood by that claim (Fauci too, but that's another issue), it's illogical and irresponsible. Imagine where we'd be today if the WHO, who everybody pointed to as the be-all-end-all of Covid information had said, "throw a bandana over your mouth and nose". Instead we have Karens and Kens pointing to their and Fauci's statements that masks are useless and potentially harmful.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Fauci too, but that's another issue
Fauci testified very recently that the reason they said that towards the start of the outbreak was to try and preserve/obtain sufficient supplies for medical personnel where there was already insufficient in the supply chain.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
Fauci testified very recently that the reason they said that towards the start of the outbreak was to try and preserve/obtain sufficient supplies for medical personnel where there was already insufficient in the supply chain.
Yes, which was an increadibly stupid reason to say masks dont work. It doesn’t particularly matter why he said it, the fact that the single person we were all supposed to listen to said masks don’t work is a giant problem. There’s a million ways he could have attempted to protect the supply chain, and he chose the worst possible one with the longest lasting, most problematic and entirely foreseeable consequences.

I’m glad he acknowledged his lie months after the fact now that a not insignificant portion of the population either believed what he said the first time, or now uses it as further reason to distrust anything he ever said. Job well done.

For the record, I don’t doubt his credentials, but rather his judgment and ability to effectively lead.

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Fabulous, I'll send them out a shiny gold star for acknowledging a thing we saw broadcast on CNN as existing.
But....that's where CNN got the info. Far from acknowleding 'something on CNN' they were the first to let the world know something was up. Where you saw it first isn't an indication of who knew it first.

I'm not in love with the WHO or anything but the reason for telling people not to wear masks came from the CDC because they 1. didn't want a run on the existing stock in preference of healthcare workers 2. Didn't want to give a false sense of security for idiots who aren't smart enough to cover their noses, and keep touching the things with their filthy hands. If you'll remember, all of the countries that had gone through sars were already masking up.

they're far from perfect in the handling of this, but new zealand got the same info at the same time as we did. Don't attribute our incompetence to the WHO when we royally fucked things up domestically.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Last edited:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
I felt absolutely fine throughout the end of May/June other than yep, this weird itchy dry cough.

I've been sleeping like 10+hrs a day just feeling zapped. My face keeps going numb. For some reason I felt like I was having a heart attack one day last week and for about 30 minutes my oxymeter was giving me 80-88%.

get well....you and @Nick ...