Quantcast

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Curious about this. Hey @Toshi, do these homemade masks actually protect oneself against this thing? Or is their proliferation more of a something is better than nothing approach?
People got quite creative there. Multi-layered, some recommend vacuum bags as filters inside the masks. I'd say it protects more others from you than the other way around, and the peer pressure to wear one is tremendous. You cannot walk outside without one now, government orders.

CN: Better than nothing, but then again most real masks worn by non-docs aren't fit right, either. Vacuum bags are probably the best material: have a two layer cloth mask and drop in one of those.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
will i be able to write off a home office now that i'm required to WFH?
My CPA has always recommended against home office write offs. Says it’s more abused write off and flags audits. But I’m in high audit category anyway so mY be different for WFH.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Talk to an accountant before you try it - there might be all sorts of unexpected tax ramifications not to your benefit.
My CPA has always recommended against home office write offs. Says it’s more abused write off and flags audits. But I’m in high audit category anyway so mY be different for WFH.
good to know. my brother in law works from home exclusively, and i believe he had looked into it at one point. can't remember if he did it or not.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
will i be able to write off a home office now that i'm required to WFH?
Talk to an accountant before you try it - there might be all sorts of unexpected tax ramifications not to your benefit.
We do for Wifey's business, but it's going to have some impact on taxes when we sell. It's different though because it's revenue generated out of a dedicated part of the house that has no other use - just the office. We also get to factor utilities into that, which is nice. I saves us a grand every year all-in.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
good to know. my brother in law works from home exclusively, and i believe he had looked into it at one point. can't remember if he did it or not.
Unless things have changed from my days prepping taxes, it’s a pain in the ass to claim and justify. You need a dedicated space which sees no other use than business. Climbing walls might make that a harder position to take.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

Negative initial small trials in relation to covid-19 treatment for hydroxychloroquine, umifenovir, or lopinavir + ritonavir combination.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!

Negative initial small trials in relation to covid-19 treatment for hydroxychloroquine, umifenovir, or lopinavir + ritonavir combination.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado

Debating to send this to my Dad... Directly counters his argument with shit information regurgitated from the Orange Messiah and Fox.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

A hopeful sign if this passes validation and gets FDA approval--article focused on UK.

Home use, quick, cheap... and it's an antibody test. IgM. This is what we need deployed _everywhere_, IMO.
For those not immediately down with what a cheap, widespread antibody test's use would imply:

1) It demonstrates evidence of past infection. (So it would be best used by asymptomatic people at home. Those symptomatic at hospitals need a direct RNA test still.)

2) Its data, especially if done in, say, two waves two weeks apart, could show the rate and rate of expansion of immune individuals. One of the theories out there is that widespread asymptomatic transmission will get us to herd immunity quicker than anticipated. This would be the way to find out whether this is happening or a false hope.

3) On an individual level if one has antibodies then they are presumed immune to getting it again, having fought it off and perhaps not even noticed. These people can re-engage with society!

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
prince charles is a sneeze in the right direction away from the throne...