Quantcast

Sat ^*^ herdly

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Rode the bike today. Interestingly the slightly used Schwalbe Nobby Nic TrailStar that came on a used wheel I bought has not more grip than the totally worn DHR II 60A it replaced. :wtf:

I know why I hardly ever spend money on Schwalbe products. :disgust:

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Hannah now fits on and has started rising the 16" Raleigh. Hands-off, pedalling, stable. Still need to work on brakes and getting used to more turning. Know what I'm doing this weekend.

Also selling Wifey's Yeti for sure now. Doing a parts scrape for good parts to put onto Haley's bike. Most notably is the Float 32 RLC, which is notably better than Haley's current fork. Need to do some wheel weight checking too.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Hannah now fits on and has started rising the 16" Raleigh. Hands-off, pedalling, stable. Still need to work on brakes and getting used to more turning. Know what I'm doing this weekend.

Also selling Wifey's Yeti for sure now. Doing a parts scrape for good parts to put onto Haley's bike. Most notably is the Float 32 RLC, which is notably better than Haley's current fork. Need to do some wheel weight checking too.
Damage report from yesterday's storm?

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Damage report from yesterday's storm?
Cleaned my car and what I through was a dent was just weird lighting when looking from the house. Paint has a very orange-peel-ish texture on 100% of the car, so I can't tell if it's just like that (which I don't recall being that way) or the damage was enough to texture the whole car. I don't really see it under the crossbars that much, so I'm thinking it much be the latter.

Wifey's car is in the garage, so I need to pull it out when it's bright out to check. Also need to get into the roof to check for damage.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
My 10yr old made Tarte au Citron today, properly by herself. This is probably her third or fourth time making it. It’s Father’s Day here, and as much as I could care less about Hallmark Holidays I will absolutely take this.

Blind baked crust, lemons from our garden tree (actually a ‘Lemonade’ variety) and holy shit that is defo top three of all lemon tarts I have ever had. Look at that consistency!

135E869A-12CE-40B2-8045-FF92D31F26D6.jpeg

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Also took that Orange out for a proper ride today, albeit with horrible, weird ‘downturny’ bars. I hate them. They have a very low upsweep and a hard back sweep, just gross. I rotated them forward but still gross. New ones on their way allegedly.

Anyway, First part of the ride is all uphill so a good time to get the pro-pedal setting right. Ended up at like 3/4 full setting. Sitting lower almost helps. Added another 40psi over factory rec in the shock too, during the shakeout.

If you sit still, and just move those legs it climbs surprisingly well, however across the whole riding experience I noticed that when the sus is extending fast there is considerable pedal kickback. Also if you hit a big bump on the uphill it feels a bit like the energy is unfairly stolen. If you expect it on a trail, it’s almost nice, like a helper to keep your feet on, but not so good for pedally and bouncy bits. It is a DH bike of course though.

The main things you notice as soon as you go at any speed are how short both the 2004ish top tube and the wheelbase are, and feel!

But you just gotta stand up and get your weight out front and it feels good. It feels dangerous to be leaning ‘so far over’ the front like this but at speed it feels better and better. It’s very carvy-whippet-manoeuvrable compared to modern bikes and that’s what you gotta embrace. Sitting back, it feels stuck in any rut, but standing up over the bars you have total control, to the point you almost feel you may topple over forwards, but of course you never do. It’s possible to carve much quicker and harder than a modern longbike, but it feels consequently so much more…, I don’t want to say unbalanced, but at least over the edge. Fun.

I guess TL;DR is how much more capable and all-round good our modern frames are. This thing is great if you ride it’s style, pointy and fun, but dangerous too. It has some strong drawbacks that modern geo just avoids. Modern frames are amazing, really.

Last edited:

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Finishing up a quick trailhead bushing swap on the shock and then hitting some rocky trails.

Called one shop this morning looking for said bushing and almost got in an argument trying to explain what I needed. "So you're looking for the steel red colored bushings which the fox ones press into....yeah we got those but I INSIST on measuring your bike". No sir, I just need ANY Fox 5/7 piece bushing kit, I only need the cream colored things. He went on and on (wrongly) about how these are assembled. Oh well, just ended up telling him I'll look elsewhere if you can't tell me what you have in your store.

/rant

I have seen your workshop and I approve.