Quantcast

SAT or plattekill

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
ok so the SAT and the first platty race (that if i win i am on the USAC worlds team) are on the same day. there are a few SATs. i need help on how to convince my parents that this is a big deal. *they do not support me racing*

OrthoPT

Monkey
Nov 17, 2004
Denver
:stupid: If you're that good, you'll have time to prove yourself time and time again for years to come. If this is as good a racer as you're ever gonna be, you better stack the odds in your favor of NOT becoming just another ditch digger after your short "career" is over. JMHO.

MTBstud12

Monkey
Jan 24, 2008
Tejas
ok so the SAT and the first platty race (that if i win i am on the USAC worlds team) are on the same day. there are a few SATs. i need help on how to convince my parents that this is a big deal. *they do not support me racing*
I personally think the SAT is not indicative of ones intelligence. I scored 200 pts lower than some people and have a whole grade point better of a GPA than them. But if mom and dad aren't for you racing, don't push it. But if theres other days..who cares, take it another time.

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
I personally think the SAT is not indicative of ones intelligence. I scored 200 pts lower than some people and have a whole grade point better of a GPA than them. But if mom and dad aren't for you racing, don't push it. But if theres other days..who cares, take it another time.
You're opinion < The standard for admission to most colleges

200 points on an SAT means nothing, that is a pretty small portion of the test.

MTBstud12

Monkey
Jan 24, 2008
Tejas
You're opinion < The standard for admission to most colleges

200 points on an SAT means nothing, that is a pretty small portion of the test.
Agreed, but I'm in college. So I guess I'm beyond caring with it anymore :plthumbsdown: And you're right, my opinion is pretty low on the "opinion scale"

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
im pretty quick but i only have 1 other year in junior X to do this if it happens on the east coast again. my dad supports racing but my mom doesnt and unfortunatly my dad is pretty whipped. the way i figure it after i am out of the 17-18 bracket i am going to get my ass handed to me. *last chance for glory*???

i do plan on taking the SAT but just dont want to this weekend

i dont want to make a career out of biking i just want to see how far i can go

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
im pretty quick but i only have 1 other year in junior X to do this if it happens on the east coast again. my dad supports racing but my mom doesnt and unfortunatly my dad is pretty whipped. the way i figure it after i am out of the 17-18 bracket i am going to get my ass handed to me. *last chance for glory*???

Sandbagger?

MTBstud12

Monkey
Jan 24, 2008
Tejas
Fo' sho'. Except I only sat in class for like 4 hours, then rode, then it rained. Then I rode some more. Then it rained. Now I'm here.
Word. Class from 8-2. Rode from 3-5. It was soaked. Wet roots and sand suck. But i was riding, so it's all good. And likewise, im here...trying to figure out wtf is up with my drivetrain

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
hey hey hey. if it can handle a 4 foot drop it can handle a race course. *i would also like to add that it is dialed in now*

Mani_UT

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
SLC, UT
I personally think the SAT is not indicative of ones intelligence. I scored 200 pts lower than some people and have a whole grade point better of a GPA than them.
Quite the other way around I think. GPA only requires studying and sucking it up. SAT is more the real deal.

Anyway, take the SAT but NEGOCIATE some racing support from your parents based on the results you get. Work your ass off. Get a good SAT score. Get your parents to support your racing. You win.. twice...

hungryleprican

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2006
ndub
demo nine are you trying to go to worlds to? If you are I'm on the same boat as you. Are you going to any west coast nationals?

MTBstud12

Monkey
Jan 24, 2008
Tejas
Quite the other way around I think. GPA only requires studying and sucking it up. SAT is more the real deal.

Anyway, take the SAT but NEGOCIATE some racing support from your parents based on the results you get. Work your ass off. Get a good SAT score. Get your parents to support your racing. You win.. twice...
I'll agree with that. to an extent. I guess i just hate public education. I dont know that i learned much of whats on the SAT in school.. oh well

MTBstud12

Monkey
Jan 24, 2008
Tejas
Take it as many times as you can. Don't get lazy. Sure, the test sucks a ton, but don't short yourself.
:imstupid: It sucks... every time. It won't change. But to be honest, taking it is really the only way to understand what you have coming. So, if you take it a few times, youre chances are high you'll improve. I got like a 1050(on the 1600 scale) But luckily the school i wanted to go to accepted you without SAT or ACT scores if you were in the top 1/4 of your class.

Note: Its not a university for retards...well to an extent. Im a CJ major and its one of the most noteable schools in the nation for it.

kev211

Monkey
Jan 22, 2008
San Diago

I dont know man. Theres so many standardized tests now days that theyre all kinda jumbled together. What colleges look for is GPA and how well you did on the Standardized tests (such as SAT, ACT, and SAT II's). But they also look at your involement... Were you an active member of the community? (community service stuff) Did you participate in Sports or extracurricular activities such as clubs? And how well did you do in school with all that stuff mixed in. It shows a lot better how well rounded you are because not everybody can take a test. but they may kick a$$ at managing their time. So thats just my 2cents. Hope it helps

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride

Platty has 6 races, why cant you race the other 5?

May 5 DH 1
July 4-6 DH 2 DS 1
August 16-17 DH 3 DS 2
September 20-21 DH 4 DS 3
October 18-19 DH 5 DS 4
November 8 DH 6

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Not to be blunt, but how do you stack up against Geoff Ulmer? He has been very, very consistent in Jr. X in the northeast, hell, in the east overall. He beat out last years USAC World's qualifier and knocked him out of place, but Geoff himself was under age (16), so he did not make the cut, as you have to be 17-18.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Platty has 6 races, why cant you race the other 5?

May 18 DH 1
July 4-6 DH 2 DS 1
August 16-17 DH 3 DS 2
September 20-21 DH 4 DS 3
October 18-19 DH 5 DS 4
November 8 DH 6
Because the May 5 race is a USAC qualifier for the USA Jr. X
World Cup in Italy for 2008.

EDIT: Doug, the May 18 race has been changed to May 5.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
Not to be blunt, but how do you stack up against Geoff Ulmer? He has been very, very consistent in Jr. X in the northeast, hell, in the east overall. He beat out last years USAC World's qualifier and knocked him out of place, but Geoff himself was under age (16), so he did not make the cut, as you have to be 17-18.
i was wondering the same thing. i hate to break it to you, but seeing as how i haven't ever heard of you before on the racing scene and you have never won a race, you are not going to get a spot on the junior worlds team.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
I'm not trying to outpsych anyone here, but here's Geoff's most recent accomplishments (a little hometown pride, folks!):

2007 USA Cycling JrX National Champion under 16
2007 Sugar Mountain NMBS JrX Downhill Champion under 18
2007 Number Two Ranked Norba Expert Under 18
2007 and 2006 Number One Ranked Norba Expert Under 16
2007, 2006 and 2005 New York State JrX Downhill Champion
2007 and 2006 Vermont State JrX NORBA Downhill Champion
2007, 2006 and 2005 Plattekill Downhill JrX Series Champion
2007 and 2006 Ironhorse Series Champion at Mount Snow
2007 Plattekill Downhill Series Race #4 Beat all the Pro Times
2006 US Open, Third Place Amateur Division

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
Take the ACT instead. Theres one in april, get a good score show mom and dad, take the SAT later just as an added measure. Convince mom and dad that GPA is the most important, turn in awesome interim grades. Show statisitics that student that have extra cirricular activities get in to college. Im assuming your appling to college the following year after the summer. So take the SAT again in september and october. Unless youre applying early somewhere youll be fine. I took mine as late as the november before I applied.

jcook90

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2006
Connecticut
ACT and SAT are both what you need, as mentioned above, you can take it again in the fall and still get it off to the early schools (take the october one). ACTs a much nicer test if you don't do the writing, shorter than the SAT but theres more material per given amount of time, like I was doing problems up until the last minute, whereas I finished all the SAT sections at least 5 early.

About qualifying for the USAC team or w/e it is, good luck.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
i was wondering the same thing. i hate to break it to you, but seeing as how i haven't ever heard of you before on the racing scene and you have never won a race, you are not going to get a spot on the junior worlds team.
maybe demo9 can rip it, maybe not but no offense, just because you havent heard of someone, doesnt mean they are not fast - plus anything can happen race day, crashes, flats, mechanicals, etc

demo9...I say find a SAT test on a different day, and start doing some serious training immediately.

edit
When is the SAT* given?

The test is administered seven times a year--in October, November, December, January, March, May, and June--on Saturday mornings. Special arrangements for schedule changes are available.