Quantcast

Satan's Series

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Mets fans have approached the looming showdown, which one blogger nicknamed Satan’s Series, in a variety of ways.
While no one wants to hear from whiny Mets fans, I particularly like the idea of a match-up made in Hell.

In one corner, you have the Evil Empire, and other side, the worst fans in sports.

It should be very interesting....

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
While no one wants to hear from whiny Mets fans, I particularly like the idea of a match-up made in Hell.

In one corner, you have the Evil Empire, and other side, the worst fans in sports.

It should be very interesting....
i had no idea that the Phillies were referred to as the Evil Empire

Rip

Mr. Excitement
Feb 3, 2002
Over there somewhere.
Hmm didn't see this coming when I saw sabathia as the starter for game one. Didn't the phillies shell him last year when he was with the Brewers?

BTW, anyone see Lee's catch.

Last edited:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
cc wasn't that great against the phillies last year.

still waiting for cole hamels to show up.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Heh heh...good start to the series. I've got a bad feeling about Pedro tonight though. I'll be surprised if he sees the 5th inning. However, AJ Burnett is nothing special. I sense a high scoring, five hour game. Good thing the Philly bullpen is well rested. :)

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
i wish jamie moyer was healthy.....his 70mph junk is fun to watch crawl across the plate.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
at least it was matsui who got the home run.

the only yankee i can tolerate.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Go Phils.

So I heard this morning that in the playoffs since 1999, a team with a pitcher on three days rest vs a team with a pitcher on full rest is 9-27. Tomorrow is Andy Pettitte (three days) vs Pedro Martinez (full rest). Hopefully those odds will work in the Phillies' favor.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Go Phils.

So I heard this morning that in the playoffs since 1999, a team with a pitcher on three days rest vs a team with a pitcher on full rest is 9-27. Tomorrow is Andy Pettitte (three days) vs Pedro Martinez (full rest). Hopefully those odds will work in the Phillies' favor.
I never believed in the whole 3 day/4 day/full rest crap. It's a junk statistic IMO, sort of like the magic 100 pitch count number that Ryan has been fighting. Some guys can pitch on 3 days rest, just like how some guys can throw 150 pitches a game. It all depends on a pitchers strength, delivery mechanics, health, etc.

Regardless, I hope the Phillies win, so that's something we can agree on.:thumb:

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I never believed in the whole 3 day/4 day/full rest crap. It's a junk statistic IMO, sort of like the magic 100 pitch count number that Ryan has been fighting. Some guys can pitch on 3 days rest, just like how some guys can throw 150 pitches a game. It all depends on a pitchers strength, delivery mechanics, health, etc.

Regardless, I hope the Phillies win, so that's something we can agree on.:thumb:
I am firm believer in statistics when they make me feel better about a particular situation, like tomorrow's game. When the stats don't work in my favor, I say "Meh, they're just stats. Anything can happen."

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
game seven pitching for philly....hamels/lee/madson/eyre/lidge.......if it gets there.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
i'd like to see chase utley hit a couple more home runs....and ryan howard hit one when it counts.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
baseball is the one game where I think you have to play the odds/statistics in each situation. Yes you won't always win based on those stats, but in that sport there is a reason the stats are fairly consistent.

In this case however it is a Team type stat that has too many variables.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
baseball is the one game where I think you have to play the odds/statistics in each situation. Yes you won't always win based on those stats, but in that sport there is a reason the stats are fairly consistent.

In this case however it is a Team type stat that has too many variables.

Thus negating your first sentence?