Quantcast

Satellite broadband, do you use it, and if so what do you think of it?

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
punkassean said:
could you use satellite web to connect while driving? That would super sweet.
you can use GPRS via Bluetooth while driving :) . i think satellite would have problems with movement, but i'm just making that up

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
Not used it personally but I was part of a project installing it at some very remote Lifeboat Stations and I understand that it works OK. It tends to be expensive and will be subject to degradation from certain atmospheric conditions (solar flares, for example).

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
Sat tends to have pretty high datarates, but also high latency (back and forth signal to a geo-stat satellite). Pretty good if you don't need lots of fast interactions, like if you're gaming or something. Course it's still better than dialup.

BrokenChain

Monkey
Oct 26, 2001
NWCT
Where I work, satellite is the only option other than dial up. We had Hughes for less than a week. Whenever there was an issue, and my boss called their "tech support" if the person he reached couldn't answer his problem, the call was terminated by Hughes. Absolutely no help whatsoever. We've had Wild Blue for about 6 weeks now, and had only one issue accessing email, and their tech support got us going right away.

Bushwhacker

Turbo Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
Tar Effing River!! NC
I've got WildBlue. It's not bad...the weather messes with the connection occasionally and it's pretty expensive. As far as downloading files and whatnot it ticks along pretty well. After having cable for 2 years then moving to the middle of nowhere and having to go back to dial-up the satellite was a godsend.

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
Barbaton said:
oh, and I've seen RVs and a tourbus that have sat internet so i guess it can be done mobiley. (is that a word?)
The FCC doesn't allow satelite data transmission from moving vehicles. It works, but you have to be parked.