Quantcast

satellite TV : 2008 edition

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
It's that time of year again where we reconsider providers. I know it's been discussed in the past, but maybe Sat TV has improved like all technology?

Did you choose Sat TV over cable? If so, why? :)

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Let me be the first to say I don't own a TV, I don't watch TV and haven't done so since the Flintstones where removed from syndication.

Wow! Smug really is a good feeling. :)

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
We went with Direct TV after having Cable. The HD selection was better, it costs less and we ended up going with the HD DVR for no extra charge!
Cool, thanks!

How's the reception? Are there any downtimes from weather or whatever?

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
I have DirecTv and when there are really serious thunderstorms that pass through, we'll lose signal untill it passes but for the most part, I'm really pleased with it.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I won't do satellite here, but I might switch to FiOS next month for an estimated savings (base price not counting "deals") of about $20 and the DVR is free.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I won't do satellite here, but I might switch to FiOS next month for an estimated savings (base price not counting "deals") of about $20 and the DVR is free.
FIOS is a physical line, yeah? Do they have to run a special connection to your house or are they piggy-backing some other connection?

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
FIOS is internet, not TV?
I am getting internet and tv, but keeping my Vonage phone. Like Splat pointed out in my FiOS thread, the "basic" package channel list is HUGE.

<edit> I don't have an HDTV set yet, but I will after the Summer I'm sure.

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
I switched from cable to Directv about 3 months ago. Don't think I'll be going back to cable anytime soon. I switched mostly for the HD content and it is cheaper than Time Warner digital cable. No reception issues to report yet but I do get some annoying sync issues with some of the HD video not matching up with the audio. Supposedly they are fixing it but how and when I don't know.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I switched from cable to Directv about 3 months ago. Don't think I'll be going back to cable anytime soon. I switched mostly for the HD content and it is cheaper than Time Warner digital cable. No reception issues to report yet but I do get some annoying sync issues with some of the HD video not matching up with the audio. Supposedly they are fixing it but how and when I don't know.
Yeah, we've had similar issues at times, but not always (with the sound not matching up). Our HD satellite seems a bit more sensitive to the weather than the regular, but after almost a year, we aren't going to be switching back to TWC anytime soon either!

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
FIOS is internet, not TV?
FiOS is a fiber optic network. Verizon offers both TV and internet via this network.

If you're in a coverage area, I don't believe there's ever a cost for running lines. Just the initial installation charge like any other service.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I have DirecTv and when there are really serious thunderstorms that pass through, we'll lose signal untill it passes but for the most part, I'm really pleased with it.
Yeah this is the only major disadvantage.

They currently offer the most HDTV channels of any provider but I am sure when Verizon picks up steam that will change as FtH easily beats a consumer satellite link...

Read this article for the skinny:

http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/02/06/ask-engadget-hd-does-cable-satellite-or-fiber-provide-more-hd/

Conclusion

The long and short of "who has the most HD?" is this: it's probably DirecTV (as of right this moment, that is), but until you call up your local cable provider and DTV, it's impossible to say for certain. Beyond that, we'd also like to offer up this tidbit -- the aforementioned question is probably the wrong question to ask yourself. After all, what good are 100 HD channels if the ones you crave aren't included? This is most clearly illustrated when scouting out HD locals; it's rather hard for an HD junkie to bite on a satellite carrier when neither offer local networks in HD and their domicile is too far away to receive those stations free over the air. In this case, one may be better suited with the resident cable carrier who offers fewer high-definition channels but a higher percentage of stations they look forward to watching. Additionally, one should consider all the extras -- HD VOD, subscription packages (i.e. MLB Extra Innings), HD pay-per-view options, etc. -- before blindly picking a carrier based on how deep its lineup is.

In case you've still not pieced it together, there are simply too many variables to safely say that one provider is right for every fan of HD. Unfortunate though it may be, making the best choice for your viewing habits requires a good bit of research on your end as you scope out all available options and weed out those that simply don't make your cut. Hopefully, a good bit of that homework has been completed for you here, but feel free to shout out any first-hand experiences that you feel could help millions of others make a better choice when choosing their HD provider. We're lookin' to you to spill the beans on picture quality, customer service, uptime, perceived value -- the down and dirty details that can only be found by interrogating others.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
We just have standard cable...I was thinking about switching to satellite but after a week long visit to my sisters house I decided to stick with what I have. She had a lot more of a selection than I do but the signal was lost about 10 times during the week I was there...D

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
I don't watch all that much tv but I can't think of any time in the last 4 months when I've lost DTV signal. We've had some rain/ice/snow storms of late that I thought would do it but so far so good.

I have added on ABC, CBS, and Fox out of NYC since I can't get them over the air. The NBC affiliate denied my waiver but I tried an antenna and still can't get their signal. I don't know how much trouble and expense I'm supposed to go through to receive their crap signal so now I just torrent any NBC show I wanted to see which amounts to The Office.