Quantcast

***Saturd day GMT***

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
:wave:

Second interview yesterday for a job I probably can't afford to take went really well. So of course I'm up half the night with anxiety pondering WTF am I doing with my life. I should go for a ride when daylight starts to make an appearance.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Went to change the oil in my car last night, but discovered the filter has gone for a walk. Will probably change the oil this morning and do the filter later today when it arrives.

Will try to watch some dh racing, enjoy some coffee and head out for a ride.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp

Second interview yesterday for a job I probably can't afford to take went really well. So of course I'm up half the night with anxiety pondering WTF am I doing with my life. I should go for a ride when daylight starts to make an appearance.
What do you mean by you can't afford to take it?

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
Nope, nope, nope...
That's certainly my gut reaction. They pay cut, meh.... I could most likely make that up in a couple years moving up/branching out, etc. The 401K match, or lack thereof hurts badly however. One of the things I've realized recently is that my current employer offers what amounts to a unicorn in 401K matching. It's no wonder most Americans are going to die before they can afford to retire if that's the case. But holy shit, every time I think about staying at the airline another 20 years it makes me want to put a gun to my head.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
That's certainly my gut reaction. They pay cut, meh.... I could most likely make that up in a couple years moving up/branching out, etc. The 401K match, or lack thereof hurts badly however. One of the things I've realized recently is that my current employer offers what amounts to a unicorn in 401K matching. It's no wonder most Americans are going to die before they can afford to retire if that's the case. But holy shit, every time I think about staying at the airline another 20 years it makes me want to put a gun to my head.
As your unofficial financial advisor - what the fuck are you thinking? Unless you are making a lateral move, there is no reason to move backwards with the hope of moving forward.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Present. Bday pool party for Maddie today. She's 7. Gonna be almost 20 kids her age here. Might go for a road ride afterwards if I have any energy, need to stretch my legs a bit.

Down 15 lbs since going off Lexapro. Tinnitus has diminished but still there.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Good morning, lovelies. I was up at 5:00 and did 50 miles on the tri bike. Love those quiet morning roads, but at 8:00 it was like someone flipped a switch and every car was out at the same time. Anyway, it was a nice ride. I've got another dog adoption volunteer shift at noon.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida

Nobody but you knows if you can keep doing what your doing. You put your own oxygen mask on first before you help others. Taking care of yourself IS taking care of them.

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
As your unofficial financial advisor - what the fuck are you thinking? Unless you are making a lateral move, there is no reason to move backwards with the hope of moving forward.
I understand this. I only mention it as a quantifiable metric for my deep desire to get away from the airline and for what I think my mental health is worth. Were it only about money I could have gone to literally any major domestic airline in the past 3 years and be making more. Southwest starts guys on probation at almost exactly what I make at a shitty regional after 23 years. But I'd be working nights/weekends/holidays again until I died or retired. Retirement obviously has a value, but quality of life has a value too. I guess where I'm at is having issues trying to quantify what that is.

Last edited:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Morning Monkeys.

Rain has arrived just in time to thwart my obtaining river rocks for the back yard. I still need to put the new new water heater in Frita and I got some cool bolt in bump stops since I couldn't get the stock ones seated. The bolt ins might be worse, depending on how much room I have for a wrench.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I understand this. I only mention it as a quantifiable metric for my deep desire to get away from the airline and for what I think my mental health is worth. Were it only about money I could have gone to literally any major domestic airline in the past 3 years and be making more. Southwest starts guys on probation at almost exactly what I make at a shitty regional after 23 years. But I'd be working nights/weekends/holidays again until I died or retired. Retirement obviously has a value, but quality of life has a value too. I guess where I'm at is having issues trying to quantity what that is.
Your mental health has great value! I took a $15k pay cut when I switched jobs and lost my accumulated sick leave. I retained my retirement and the rates were pretty comparable (actually with the same company so I have 2 because the first one was a better locked in plan). Money definitely isn't everything, but if you have to work harder to progress and give up nights/weekends/holidays with the family that is tough. How long do you have until retirement? I personally can retire in 6 years with 30 years teaching but I won't be 55 so I will have to wait a bit longer anyway.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Morning. Last full week of school was LONG! Supposed to start getting warm so there will definitely be some floating around in the pool. Hit the trails with the new (to me) bike and actually liked it this time. It's definitely a learning curve as it's SO long but damn it can climb and descend the rocks and roots quite well despite my lack of fitness.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado

Up way early to go shoot the 3D archery course with the old man. Crushed all manner of foam wildlife from the pre-historic era through modern day. Take that stegosaurus!

Now to hike to the castle ruins in town and maybe go get some new Birkenstocks. Mine are beat.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Howdy all

Started my day with a solid hour of sweet middle child snuggling. Costco with younger two kids in a bit. Eldest gets her to be earned in future years black belt put up on wall of the taekwondo studio today. <-- didn't happen as classes off due to a tournament in Golden

I was going to chime in re pay cut vs quality of life in squeeb’s defense but looks like he and TreeSaw have that covered already. :) Assuming the bills and retirement plans are covered, money is only worthwhile if you have time and headspace to utilize it, eh

Last edited:

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord

Up way early to go shoot the 3D archery course with the old man. Crushed all manner of foam wildlife from the pre-historic era through modern day. Take that stegosaurus!

Now to hike to the castle ruins in town and maybe go get some new Birkenstocks. Mine are beat.
tell is more about these ruins...always looking for interesting spots while driving to and from maine....

as the angry one has noted, after a very wet may, it's been pretty dry in june, so watered ALL the things this morning. making pizzas for lunch and then headed to the hills for a hike and dinner.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
So, wifey made plans to go on a riding trip to Sun Valley this week for our anniversary. Fun!
She was complaining a little last night about her foot…she might have a stress fracture. We will find out soon, she went to urgent care.
boo hiss.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
tell is more about these ruins...always looking for interesting spots while driving to and from maine....

as the angry one has noted, after a very wet may, it's been pretty dry in june, so watered ALL the things this morning. making pizzas for lunch and then headed to the hills for a hike and dinner.

1000006301.jpg

It's a cool spot with a nice bar & grill that you can walk from. If you're passing through, it's a great place to refuel and take in some views.

sunringlerider

Turbo Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Corn Fields of Indiana

Went to the farmers market. Bought some over priced bread from my buddies sister. But damn it’s good.

Got a new kitten. Kiddo is super stoked. She is supper little, just weaned. Seems healthy and nice.

Still effing around fixing up this damn cultivator.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I understand this. I only mention it as a quantifiable metric for my deep desire to get away from the airline and for what I think my mental health is worth. Were it only about money I could have gone to literally any major domestic airline in the past 3 years and be making more. Southwest starts guys on probation at almost exactly what I make at a shitty regional after 23 years. But I'd be working nights/weekends/holidays again until I died or retired. Retirement obviously has a value, but quality of life has a value too. I guess where I'm at is having issues trying to quantify what that is.
Then write it down. What are the issues you have? What are the things you are willing to give up? Vacation? How much have you actually used? That gives you a scale of your "requirement". What about income? Is wifey willing to pick up more teaching work so that you can work less?

You need to start quantifying things. Don't let emotion drive your decision. Know what you NEED before you pull the trigger.