Quantcast

saturday gfmt....

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
depending on circumstance....part of vacation might be helping friend extract his brother from skid row in portland and getting him dried out or....

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Right? I had a couple Topo Collins last night and then like 5 IPAs... intredastingly enough nothing was harmed.

The Ladyfriend found 6 super nice heavy ceramic outdoor plant pots on CL for $100... you can see 5 of them in the pic. We're brainstorming what kinda plants to put in them. I think we have enough flowering plants, but I do want the patio to be like a damn jungle.
Totally missed those due to hand-truck dolly hanging in the carport...

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Bbq placed hooked us up. Pound of their pulled pork baked beans, half pound of Cole slaw, 2 lbs brisket, huge container of their awesome mustard bbq sauce, wings :drool:
good bbq in pennsylvania....shocked....

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Some of the best BBQ in the country is in Syracuse...
there was a place in lee vinning california that i stopped at on the way to yosemite that said they had the best bbq in california....
afraid not.....it was like eating a mc rib....

there is a place in longmont colorado called georgia boys that is fantastic...

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
there was a place in lee vinning california that i stopped at on the way to yosemite that said they had the best bbq in california....
afraid not.....it was like eating a mc rib....

there is a place in longmont colorado called georgia boys that is fantastic...
dammit now i want ray nathans.

also, have you every eaten at hillbilly's? i can smell it every time i get off 85 to go to poston but have never been in...

also also, where did you end up on the parkway? we've going up to chill at wilsons tomorrow.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Here. Lawn work all day today. Fixed my sprinklers at the house and did the same for a neighbor. He's self-employed, so spending $200 on a sprinkler guy when we can spend 2 hrs is a much better option. Plus Haley and the girls were able to play the whole time, which was much needed by everyone.

Looked at another refi after Toshi's post yesterday and it's stupid not to. I've been doing rsch on getting solar too, but even with the cash discount, it's hard to justify not having the money invested. Rates on solar loans are relatively high for the term, which doesn't help any either. But get this...I can refi pulling out enough cash to pay for panels. Put solar panels on at the cash discount, but get the .25% lower rate. Then take the spread of slightly higher payment (slightly higher loan, on a lower rate) and my current electricity bill, pay that to principal, and walk away spending $7k less on interest and a loan paid off 2.5 years early vs. just a refi. And still $26k less on interest than doing nothing at all. And out of all of this, I walk away with panels.

God I love a good spreadsheet.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Used to be like that here. The argument was that you didn't own the rights to that water, thus you weren't allowed to collect it.
But I am sure no one had problems with pumped, filtered, sterilized and florinated water being dumped on your lawn.

No wait, use the bottled stuff.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Here. Lawn work all day today. Fixed my sprinklers at the house and did the same for a neighbor. He's self-employed, so spending $200 on a sprinkler guy when we can spend 2 hrs is a much better option. Plus Haley and the girls were able to play the whole time, which was much needed by everyone.

Looked at another refi after Toshi's post yesterday and it's stupid not to. I've been doing rsch on getting solar too, but even with the cash discount, it's hard to justify not having the money invested. Rates on solar loans are relatively high for the term, which doesn't help any either. But get this...I can refi pulling out enough cash to pay for panels. Put solar panels on at the cash discount, but get the .25% lower rate. Then take the spread of slightly higher payment (slightly higher loan, on a lower rate) and my current electricity bill, pay that to principal, and walk away spending $7k less on interest and a loan paid off 2.5 years early vs. just a refi. And still $26k less on interest than doing nothing at all. And out of all of this, I walk away with panels.

Most panels are made in China - are they even available?

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
dammit now i want ray nathans.

also, have you every eaten at hillbilly's? i can smell it every time i get off 85 to go to poston but have never been in...

also also, where did you end up on the parkway? we've going up to chill at wilsons tomorrow.
ray nathans.....probably the best in charlotte area.

saucemans was great....now gone.

macs speedshop blue label sauce is like fucking crack....

hillbillys is alright....85 location is shutdown...new place is in lowell....if you are coming off 85 and take exit 22 turn right....go down whatever road that is and it is on the right before you cross the railroad tracks....not open yet...

heading to the parkway.....hopefully in about a hour from now....sunday morning...

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL

Out of curiosity, what is you average monthly electricity bill? How many sq/ft? (deck excluded)

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Out of curiosity, what is you average monthly electricity bill? How many sq/ft? (deck excluded)
$100/m annualized, including Bolt. 3825 sqft

Most panels are made in China - are they even available?
Yep. The super cheap are readily available and companies are chomping to install. Mid-grade have a lower availability, but their install delay is more around forward scheduled appts. Higher end (Panasonic) are out until August/Sept but the firms on that timeline said it has more to do with them not having employees working in addition to forward scheduled work.

I've found the firms using higher end panels are also the largest (Tesla and Blue Raven) or the local employee owned firms (Namaste).

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Seems reasonable. Why go solar? What is the recoup timeline?
8 yrs cash, 12-14 for most loan scenarios. I'm working on my spreadsheet now to make sure that my math is all correct.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
I've been using linear. I've run it a few times with 4% annualized, but it's a bitch to run in excel on a large spreadsheet.
Have you taken account of solar gain depreciation? Some panels turn bad in 10 years. Also, are you accounting if said money was invested instead?

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Have you taken account of solar gain depreciation? Some panels turn bad in 10 years. Also, are you accounting if said money was invested instead?
Solar gain depreciation I have not. Looking at invest otherwise, yes. That's why I'm looking at the option of the refi and pull out low rate cash to invest my current cash elsewhere 7% appreciation, 2.5% inflation.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
80% power in 25 years is fairly typical.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
the upside of going with a (good) PPA is the company from whom you're buying your power is responsible for maintenance, and generating the most output at all times is in their interests. Panels degrade, they sell less power. Just ensure the cost/w is tied to below market rates, and ensure they don't void your roof warranty the way @stoney voids bike warranties.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
the upside of going with a (good) PPA is the company from whom you're buying your power is responsible for maintenance, and generating the most output at all times is in their interests. Panels degrade, they sell less power. Just ensure the cost/w is tied to below market rates, and ensure they don't void your roof warranty the way @stoney voids bike warranties.
And one last question: In CO, can you send back to grid for credit?

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
8 yrs cash, 12-14 for most loan scenarios. I'm working on my spreadsheet now to make sure that my math is all correct.
why do i pictiure a young stoney scenario when stoney's mom is yelling..."stoney.....dinner is ready"...and you yell back "DAMNIT MOM....I'M WORKING ON A SPREADSHEET!!!!!"

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
And one last question: In CO, can you send back to grid for credit?
Technically yes. Stoney's home system would never generate more power than they use, and, it would generate the most power at a time they probably didn't need it. That's the flaw of home solar, you need to use the electricity as you produce it.

Most people consume the most electricity in the morning and at night. That's not when a typical system generates the most electricity.

An ideal home set up in my opinion is a system that charges battery storage all day so you could then draw from it at night or when you needed the power. Especially if you owned an electric car. Charge up the house all day, plug in the car, turn on the TV, use lights, etc. off the batteries all night until you run out of stored energy then get more from the grid.

...That's the flaw of home solar, you need to use the electricity as you produce it...
Um, no, you don't. My array pumps right into the Green Mountain Power grid. I get credit against my electrical bills for the power I provide. I do have a couple of Powerwalls in the shed, I lease 'em from GMP. It's modestly interesting to watch when GMP decides to pull from the Powerwalls, this from mid-March:
00.jpg

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Um, no, you don't. My array pumps right into the Green Mountain Power grid. I get credit against my electrical bills for the power I provide. I do have a couple of Powerwalls in the shed, I lease 'em from GMP. It's modestly interesting to watch when GMP decides to pull from the Powerwalls, this from mid-March:
View attachment 144639
That's what I meant. Is GMP buying at the same $$ they are selling?