Quantcast

***Saturday GMT***

dhmike

Turbo Monkey
Dec 20, 2006
Boise Idaho
Morning, fall has finally arrived in the desert raining and a high of 61 today. Trail ride later and maybe go see John wilk movie.

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
Morning.

Took the little one over to my wife's aunt's house last night to show off his dinosaur costume. We've got our friend's annual Halloween party tonight. It used to be insane with all of us partying our asses off all night long... now it usually ends around 9pm since we all have to get the kids home and in bed. Getting older with responsibilities sucks.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
We actually had a real rainstorm yesterday> It did let up enough for the kids to trick or treat without getting soaked then cranked back up at 9pm. Nice to finally have a few days off. I'm going to fix some stuff and kick back today, maybe try and ride an easy flat route and see how the MCL likes it. Fishing tomorrow

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
We ran out of our non-candy treats in about an hour last night and then turned off the porch light.

Today: Costco run with wife and kid, washed and vacuumed both cars, tried to fix a tiny crack in the Land Cruiser's windshield, new wipers for LC (PIAA Super Silicone, oontz), and, in an hour or three, I'm playing in a community band concert.

Oh, I also managed to cram both the LEAF and the Land Cruiser into our tiny garage after rearranging junk. Even parked optimally we can't open doors fully. Next house has to have a larger garage else it won't be our next house.

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
Borrowed a cyclocross bike today and I'll race on it for sake of what gives. I plan on going then for Strava king of the mountain on all rail path segments.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Project day=crappy weather. got the grime cleaned out of the house. Went and bought some fishing gear, Also tracked down all my winter camping gear ( snow shoes, ice tracks, gaiters, gloves, gore tex shell). I am debating heading to the river in the morning to do some bass fishing from my kayak

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
Tried? No bueno? What did you use?

I have the tinniest of chips in my windshield that I need to nip before it spreads.
I've used two products over the years from amazon, both of which have a similar concept of little rig that suctions or tapes to glass, and some sort of forcible epoxy injector. None have been great long term fixes--ended up replacing the LEAF's windshield outright a month or two back, and I think this 1 cm 90 degree crack in the Land Cruiser's windshield will eventually spread come wintertime.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I've used two products over the years from amazon, both of which have a similar concept of little rig that suctions or tapes to glass, and some sort of forcible epoxy injector. None have been great long term fixes--ended up replacing the LEAF's windshield outright a month or two back, and I think this 1 cm 90 degree crack in the Land Cruiser's windshield will eventually spread come wintertime.
Safelite came to my house and fixed the cracked window on the Racing Honda. Insurance paid for it.....

Last edited:

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Yeah, seriously, that's what insurance is for. They came to the studio and popped a new one in and it didn't cost me a dime. The guy was done in about 45 min.

Then a couple weeks later my toaster got vandalized in a trailhead parking lot. Which resulted in another replacement windshield, along with repairs to two windows, the hood, and two doors. Insurance paid for all of that as well and covered the cost of a rental.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
In some states glass doesn't count towards your deductible. With my policy here I think it would, and even the LEAF's windshield was much cheaper than our $500 deductible.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
In some states glass doesn't count towards your deductible. With my policy here I think it would, and even the LEAF's windshield was much cheaper than our $500 deductible.
I didn't have to pay the deductible. Atleast I think I didn't....

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Fortunately windshields are really cheap out here. We had to replace the pickup's within 2 months of owning it.

Never replace a windshield if you live in CO unless it's in your field of vision and/or leaking.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
There are certainly a bunch of glass vendors to choose from (not just the installers). I got price quotes varying by over a factor of 2 for the glass alone for the LEAF's windshield, and that's for a relatively new model that doesn't have many vendors plying for one's monies. I went for the cheapest, of course, since it's a leased car.

For an F-150 or even my Land Cruiser (given that its generation ran from 1999-2007!) there should be a ton of options, some better, some worse. Unfortunately I have no way of judging glass quality before it's in place, which is too bad since I'm neurotic about distortion from uneven-thickness panes acting like lenses. <-- big surprise, eh? :D

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
There are certainly a bunch of glass vendors to choose from (not just the installers). I got price quotes varying by over a factor of 2 for the glass alone for the LEAF's windshield, and that's for a relatively new model that doesn't have many vendors plying for one's monies. I went for the cheapest, of course, since it's a leased car.

For an F-150 or even my Land Cruiser (given that its generation ran from 1999-2007!) there should be a ton of options, some better, some worse. Unfortunately I have no way of judging glass quality before it's in place, which is too bad since I'm neurotic about distortion from uneven-thickness panes acting like lenses. <-- big surprise, eh? :D
The replacement they put in the Racing Nissan had a weird wavy effect at speed or in sunlight. I called Safelite and they called my insurance up and replaced it the next day. New windshield was slightly better.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
My Corvette was $180 with the OE style antenna in it. I got a chip in it on the way to work, by the time I was at the office, it was split pillar to pillar. My coverage covers chip repair, but not replacement unless it's broke by the guy fixing the chip. :rofl:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
My Corvette was $180 with the OE style antenna in it. I got a chip in it on the way to work, by the time I was at the office, it was split pillar to pillar. My coverage covers chip repair, but not replacement unless it's broke by the guy fixing the chip. :rofl:
I'm sure there must be some vehicles that have really expensive glass... but for the most part it probably makes no sense for people to have glass coverage on their insurance.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I'm sure there must be some vehicles that have really expensive glass... but for the most part it probably makes no sense for people to have glass coverage on their insurance.
IIRC the IROC Camaro from like 2000 had those huge windshields. They are close to a grand each, or they were at one time when my buddy had to replace his. 2002ish? But most are less than $500.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
LEAF was $260 installed for a new windshield, but, as I said, I got other quotes ranging up to over $500. Pays to shop around.