Quantcast

***Saturday GMT***

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Morning constitutional achieved. Playing with Gray man while wife gets her hair did (she goes back to work Monday). Then moving and stacking 3 cords of firewood.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
The last three nights I've slept like I was drugged. Once again, a nice change after years of progressively worse tossing and turning at night.

Gonna head up to Rocky Mountain NP today to do a little hiking. Hopefully we catch the elk being all elk like, they put on quite the show for us last year.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
The last three nights I've slept like I was drugged. Once again, a nice change after years of progressively worse tossing and turning at night.

Gonna head up to Rocky Mountain NP today to do a little hiking. Hopefully we catch the elk being all elk like, they put on quite the show for us last year.
My Doc said my sleep problems were my body clock. He suggested I go camping every now and then. Somehow sleeping outside resets my body clock. When I get home I sleep awesome for a few months. You can believe whatever you want but it works for me.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Patched another stab wound in a High Roller II... The $4 tire patch kit from the auto parts store works amazingly well. I just wish these tires were a bit more robust... I had no issues with the 2.3 version but these 2.4s seem a bit fragile in the casing department. That said, I do have like 400 hard miles on them. How many miles/rides do you guys normally expect out of a set of tires? I'm at the end of life of this set, which is the 2nd pair of tires since I bought the bike in early April.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Patched another stab wound in a High Roller II... The $4 tire patch kit from the auto parts store works amazingly well. I just wish these tires were a bit more robust... I had no issues with the 2.3 version but these 2.4s seem a bit fragile in the casing department. That said, I do have like 400 hard miles on them. How many miles/rides do you guys normally expect out of a set of tires? I'm at the end of life of this set, which is the 2nd pair of tires since I bought the bike in early April.
I'm CONVINCED they don't make tires like they used to. You should probably get off my lawn now.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Howdy all. This resort here in Vail was probably super nice 20 years ago.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
hiked down to the beach yesterday.....walking out in the backyard to take a piss and look up into the clearest skies ive seen since sitting in the sheep mtn lookout last year....fantastic...

weather....perfect.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
There is a metric shit-ton of money embodied in the vacation homes here in Vail. I was stymied by a locked gate in my efforts to drive to the top of the mountain along Mill Creek Rd (apparently locked x 5 years now) but instead drove along Forest Rd, which is at the base of the runs but above the hoi polloi in the village below. Multiple quarries worth of stone must have been extracted to put the identical ski-town facade on each of these buildings.

In other news I got into an accident in my very hotel's parking garage. Completely not my fault: I was driving along slowly looking for a space when a dude pulled out from a space right in front of me. Net result is a mangled front left bumper/grille on his rental car, and perhaps a scuff or two on my bumper cover. I had the presence of mind to hop out with the car still on (thus dashcam still running). After thinking things over and coming to the mental conclusion that he had fucked up, not me, the other driver didn't even elect to exchange info.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Slept in, had brunch with the GF, then went for a ride and now watching football. :thumb:

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
solo dad this wknd. took sick 5yo to watch 10yo test for 3 hrs at rex kwon do. he got called out for being best one in his class. proud dad was proud. then crashed at home for a bit and took them to a laser tag bday party. also beers.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
I usually get a solid 1,200 miles or so out of a set of tires. Maxxis had the most abysmal sidewalks and since getting some Specialized Butchers no problems have been had. YMMV, I'm a lightweight so things tend to last longer for me.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
hiked down to the beach yesterday.....walking out in the backyard to take a piss and look up into the clearest skies ive seen since sitting in the sheep mtn lookout last year....fantastic...

weather....perfect.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Welp, that was another splendid wet ride. As soon as I pulled up to the trail head, the rain stopped. There were a few butt puckering moments to be had, though. A few times my front tire was just sliding out through some turns and one root in particular almost made me poop myself.

I hate riding across sandy bits of trail in the wet though. The bike always makes the most god awful crunching noise for a while afterwards.

In other news, I purchased some new shoes today, to replace the destroyed ones in the picture above. I got the "next" version of them and well.......they suck. Has anyone actually gone on e-bay or something and found "old" shoes? The ones I have now are perfect. I hate new shoes so much.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Welp, that was another splendid wet ride. As soon as I pulled up to the trail head, the rain stopped. There were a few butt puckering moments to be had, though. A few times my front tire was just sliding out through some turns and one root in particular almost made me poop myself.

I hate riding across sandy bits of trail in the wet though. The bike always makes the most god awful crunching noise for a while afterwards.

In other news, I purchased some new shoes today, to replace the destroyed ones in the picture above. I got the "next" version of them and well.......they suck. Has anyone actually gone on e-bay or something and found "old" shoes? The ones I have now are perfect. I hate new shoes so much.
Sidi Dominators. /thread.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
They look like they'd be slippery on teh east coast rox
Walk less. :monkey:

But seriously, yeah, they sorta are. It's worth it to me for how comfortable they are, and how well they last. I've got a pair that are like 9-10 years old and still trucking. I have another pair in my garage waiting for my current ones to implode, but it keeps not happening.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Walk less. :monkey:

But seriously, yeah, they sorta are. It's worth it to me for how comfortable they are, and how well they last. I've got a pair that are like 9-10 years old and still trucking. I have another pair in my garage waiting for my current ones to implode, but it keeps not happening.
So you were smart and got two pairs eh. I should have done that same with these. These shoes are more comfortable than my everyday shoes. The rubber treaded sole is almost a must for me, for the rocks and amount of hike-a-bike that must be done at the regular places I ride. And I use them for DH.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Managed to squeeze in a ride on actual mountain sized trails at Bent Creek on my way to Brevard. Didn't get started until 5:50 but made it back to the car just before dark, success.

Pisgah National Forrest tomorrow !

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Accidentally punched some chick in the face while playing volleyball. She was all drunk and shit and fell into my play. I picked her up and she nearly puked on me so I let her go and she fell into her puke and went ballistic. Her Boo tried to start with me, but the other party goers intervened and let him in on what happened and why it wasn't a good idea to get into my face..... They didn't get any of my food either.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
I usually get a solid 1,200 miles or so out of a set of tires. Maxxis had the most abysmal sidewalks and since getting some Specialized Butchers no problems have been had. YMMV, I'm a lightweight so things tend to last longer for me.
1,200 miles? I find this to be really suspect... for a lot of "normal" people this wouldn't this be like nearly 2 full seasons of riding. Seriously? Shit... I go through 2-3 pair of tires every year, and have for a while. Clearly I'm doing something wrong. Get off my lawn.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
1,200 miles? I find this to be really suspect... for a lot of "normal" people this wouldn't this be like nearly 2 full seasons of riding. Seriously? Shit... I go through 2-3 pair of tires every year, and have for a while. Clearly I'm doing something wrong. Get off my lawn.
Being an enginerd I have kept a spreadsheet of my rides and mileage for the past 5 or so years. And it is more or less 2 full years of riding for a set. I agree that it's a bit ridiculous, though chances are you are doing something right.

Being an enginerd I have kept a spreadsheet of my rides and mileage for the past 5 or so years. And it is more or less 2 full years of riding for a set. I agree that it's a bit ridiculous, though chances are you are doing something right.
I did that for a number of years but this year I bagged it. I want to focus on the riding, not bookkeeping.

To the original point, I tend to get at least a couple of years out of a set of tires.