Quantcast

@@@@Saturday GMT###

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
It's too early. Did shuttle runs powered by @Nick last night on The Wreckoning. It was a new build, so it doubled as a shake down, which was not great. The post broke, brakes either didn't bed right of had a bubble (I think a combo of both), and I couldn't get the fork anywhere near good.

After riding it three runs, I think I liked the frame, but there are some things that I just couldn't tell because the front end was so bad. It rides big and feels like a dh bike. It was fast, according to Strava. It was definitively not nimble, but popped off rocks to jump well. Pedalling while standing reminded you that it is definitely a single pivot.

It has a tentative #1 spot on the new bike list, but only because it's the only bike ridden. I'm going to see about riding a Pivot (generally don't like DW link), FSR, or Trek while I'm in CA and get onto both the Yeti SB5.5 and SB6 once I get back.

Off to a plane now.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
:wave:

Nice, cool night last night. "They" claim more of the same today, so Imma ride a bike down to the salt pit today. Bike shop called to say my SS wheel was in, only for it to be the wrong one. Who knew you could get a 700c wheel with a coaster brake? :confused:

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
Off to the salt mines for the morning. I've been promised bikes, beer and bbq in the second half of the day so all is not lost.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
It's too early. Did shuttle runs powered by @Nick last night on The Wreckoning. It was a new build, so it doubled as a shake down, which was not great. The post broke, brakes either didn't bed right of had a bubble (I think a combo of both), and I couldn't get the fork anywhere near good.

After riding it three runs, I think I liked the frame, but there are some things that I just couldn't tell because the front end was so bad. It rides big and feels like a dh bike. It was fast, according to Strava. It was definitively not nimble, but popped off rocks to jump well. Pedalling while standing reminded you that it is definitely a single pivot.

It has a tentative #1 spot on the new bike list, but only because it's the only bike ridden. I'm going to see about riding a Pivot (generally don't like DW link), FSR, or Trek while I'm in CA and get onto both the Yeti SB5.5 and SB6 once I get back.

Off to a plane now.
What fork?

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Hello all. I'm at the salt mines this weekend, one of four that I work throughout the year.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Hi.
Coffee and gloomy skies, probably squeak out a short ride this morning and looking forward to seeing some friends in from the old country later.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Hello Monkies. It's supposed to be near 100 today, a little warm for my fat ass. :monkey:

@stevew I first listened to The Animals in the late 70s... at the time I felt it was a fairly accurate representation of human kind, I am less cynical now but not by much.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
@stoney did you properly set the sag for both front and rear ?

The Pike 160 to me only feels like shit when it doesn't have the right pressure or needs servicing. Otherwise it's pretty damn stiff, and I are aggressive.

And as far as the pointless bottom out test goes; with a 160mm travel you should only bottom that thing out on something huge like a rock drop into a rock garden or 6ft huck to flat. 160 is a lot of travel for a trail bike.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
pancakes and a short ride in the books, cleaned the house and heading to the aeropuerto after dropping off @stoney's gargantuan demo XL Wreckening (holy balls that bike is big)

I helped set up and yes, sag was about 30% F/R. I recall about 75% of travel used which made sense to me considering the trail at speed. The bike was built literally while he waited to take it out. New fork, new brakes, etc. Maybe the fork just wasn't broken in?

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Spent nearly 9 hours at La Guardia airport yesterday after United cancelled my flight. Finally took off near midnight with Delta, got home at 3AM...

le tired.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
great ride in the other white pisgah (wilson creek) yesterday, despite some humidity. helicoiled derailler hangar worked like a champ. drank some beers on the desk of my friend's nearby a-frame afterwards. stopped and ate a giant burrito on the way home, then at a friend's place where we had beers on his dock and cast for a while. slept in this am. running errands. wife gets back in town soon...looking forward to hanging with her sans kids for a day or two.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
The morning bite wasn't happening but I had a blast. My new fly rod is perfect for this size stream and having waders that fit and don't leak was a bonus. The wading was tricky in places with fast water and soft silt in between the rocky areas. Deepest I went into was mid thigh. Going hit a different section this evening. Taking my bear spray as it has a lot of thickets and I don't want to surprise momma and her cubs empty handed.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado

The Pike 160 to me only feels like shit when it doesn't have the right pressure or needs servicing. Otherwise it's pretty damn stiff, and I are aggressive.

And as far as the pointless bottom out test goes; with a 160mm travel you should only bottom that thing out on something huge like a rock drop into a rock garden or 6ft huck to flat. 160 is a lot of travel for a trail bike.
What Nick said. I have my Pike setup that I will get within 10mm of bottom out on our normal trails. This was a full inch off.

pancakes and a short ride in the books, cleaned the house and heading to the aeropuerto after dropping off @stoney's gargantuan demo XL Wreckening (holy balls that bike is big)

I helped set up and yes, sag was about 30% F/R. I recall about 75% of travel used which made sense to me considering the trail at speed. The bike was built literally while he waited to take it out. New fork, new brakes, etc. Maybe the fork just wasn't broken in?
I just talked to James and it sounds like I did the shake down ride. We're going to schedule a second demo when I have a bit more time to ride. That will allow us to spend more time with proper setup too.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
The morning bite wasn't happening but I had a blast. My new fly rod is perfect for this size stream and having waders that fit and don't leak was a bonus. The wading was tricky in places with fast water and soft silt in between the rocky areas. Deepest I went into was mid thigh. Going hit a different section this evening. Taking my bear spray as it has a lot of thickets and I don't want to surprise momma and her cubs empty handed.

a river runs through it....still one of my favorite movies...

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
a river runs through it....still one of my favorite movies...
I got married at the side of that river :)

I need to find more time to fly fish, I've really enjoyed it when I tried it.

I somehow managed to pick the single hour today where it decided to rain for my ride. I bet the trail are perfect now, an hour later :/

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Got in a pretty darn good ride today. Weather was so nice I found myself taking ton of breaks and just enjoyed being in the mountains. Spend a solid 45 minutes watching a swarm of dragonfly's buzz around and chomp on smaller more annoying bugs.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Lunch with an ex from 10 years ago. She seems to be doing well. It was fun to catch up and walk down memory lane.

Good stuff! Too bad SoundCloud is circling the drain.
What's taking its place? I'm old and don't know how to find where the kids are...
...wait.

Last edited: