Quantcast

saturday night live

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
man it's so lame. saw a bit on saturday (hadn't really seen an episode since last year's world series, where i happened to catch the infamous ashlee simpson lip-synching debacle real-time), and every single skit was lame. the ads (something from verizon, something from i think staples, and a BK ad) were funnier. and could franz ferdinand write a duller song than the one they 1st played? oy.

WKC

Monkey
Feb 23, 2005
Down in the G-Spot
Seriously dude. SNL is in the toilet right now, I haven't seen a funny skit in FOREVER. The Ashlee Simpson incident was the funniest thing I have seen on that show in a while.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
well thats what happens when jimmy fallon is the funniest guy on the show. he isnt funny and he sucks at acting.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
WKC said:
Seriously dude. SNL is in the toilet right now, I haven't seen a funny skit in FOREVER. The Ashlee Simpson incident was the funniest thing I have seen on that show in a while.
The funniest thing I've seen on SNL in the last 4 years was a Weekend Update bit with that Irish actor dude. He was talking about how Alexander the Great liked to get his Greek soldiers to "take the Persians from behind" and like double entendres. It was freeking hilarious!

The rest of anything I've seen has been horrid.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
Make sure to tune in this coming Sat., Lance Armstrong is hosting, and.....you guessed it....Sheryl Crow will be the musical guest. :rolleyes:

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
I hate to bring this up... but I think most of those who have posted here (myself included) are not exactly the target demographic of that show.

The much coveted "18 - 25 male" demographic is who they target... not us 30+ folks...

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
SkaredShtles said:
The funniest thing I've seen on SNL in the last 4 years was a Weekend Update bit with that Irish actor dude. He was talking about how Alexander the Great liked to get his Greek soldiers to "take the Persians from behind" and like double entendres. It was freeking hilarious!
The Colonel Angus skit with Christopher Walken was pretty good too.

Daddy, they say all the womenfolk just love Colonel Angus! :D

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
Slugman said:
I hate to bring this up... but I think most of those who have posted here (myself included) are not exactly the target demographic of that show.

The much coveted "18 - 25 male" demographic is who they target... not us 30+ folks...
I think you're right as it hasn't been funny since Chris Farley and Phil Hartman were still around. :(

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Tenchiro said:
I think you're right as it hasn't been funny since Chris Farley and Phil Hartman were still around. :(
And when they were around regulars were lamenting that it hadn't been funny since Martin Short was around.

And when he was around they were lamenting that it hadn't been funny since Eddie, Chevy, Dan, and Belushi were around...........

Times they are a changin'.

I still think the new stuff sucks. :mad:

Craw

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
Jimmy Fallon isn't on the show anymore.

SNL wasn't really ever that funny. It has funny moments. And I agree, past seasons had more instances of funnier sketches. But I don't think it was ever really that consistent.

Sure, the first few seasons, back in the day were funny, but even they had a lot of misses. I do think that the whole vibe of the show was better in the first couple of seasons though. There was an energy that's lacking nowadays..

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Jeremy R said:
with Amy to drop by for weeknight updates.
Amen! To both of the ladies.

The only part of SNL I consistently enjoy is the news with them. It's still smart and funny, typically.

Thing is, I won't watch the rest just to catch it.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
LordOpie said:
Amen! To both of the ladies.

The only part of SNL I consistently enjoy is the news with them. It's still smart and funny, typically.

Thing is, I won't watch the rest just to catch it.

Yep, I try to time it, and just turn it there about the time they come on, but I normally miss it.
The show has always had its ups and downs, but it is normally just a few individual skits that make it worth it.
But I agree with Narlus, I watched last weekend's episode and it was just horrible. Made even worse by another clone musical guest.
Those dudes were just painful. At least Ashley Simpson gave us a hoedown dance for entertainment purposes. ;)

WKC

Monkey
Feb 23, 2005
Down in the G-Spot
Slugman said:

I'm 17, my friends are of similar age, they all agree on it's SNL's "sucky-ness", if you're looking for a perspective from the "coveted demographic". Back in the day when Chris Rock, Chris Farley, Adam Sandler, Norm McDonald, and those guys were starring, I did find SNL pretty funny, at least on most occasions.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Well, in the 70's, the show was revolutionary. In the 80's they had either amazing comedians, like Billy Crystal, or cutting edge stuff from Eddie Murphy.

90's also saw a renaissance from Sandler, Farley (who took an one-note act about living down the river as far as it can go), Hartman, etc. Actually I remember there were too many great comedians and comic actors to list.

Now, they have some weak performers (the new cast members look like 1-season-and-done). The writing has been bad for decades (like that Jon Heder skit about him turning into a werewolf, but just growing a mustache), and the minority cast (usually a good source for controversy, like Rock) are pathetic.

Even in the 90's I thought they lost their social and cultural relevance, but with one of the strongest casts they carried on. If you compare them to MadTV, which skewer popular figures (like Il-Jong Kim) as well as many signature characters, it is a weak second place.

Peteydag

Monkey
Sep 19, 2004
the FC
Madtv is absolutley horrible, SNL may not be as funny anymore, but at leats its not unfunny and disgusting, like madtv

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
bluebug32 said:
Tina Fey is so not funny
May Rob bite your tongue hard the next time...

She's not only funny, but I'd destroy a small nation to hit it. And now, she's a MILF, I think. Mmmmm beer.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
i have stopped watching it all together I was seeing one good skit every month or so.. its in the tubes.. nothing like it used to be.

kizzi77

Monkey
Aug 11, 2005
nashvegas
LordOpie said:
May Rob bite your tongue hard the next time...

She's not only funny, but I'd destroy a small nation to hit it. And now, she's a MILF, I think. Mmmmm beer.

Principality of ANDORRA:
Located between France and Spain, this principality is a mere 468 square kilometers. Much of the nation's defense budget is spent on blank ammunition, which is fired off on national holidays.

I'd go for that one if you're going to destroy one....but take your pick, I suppose. It's your motivation, not mine.

WKC

Monkey
Feb 23, 2005
Down in the G-Spot
kizzi77 said:

Principality of ANDORRA:
Located between France and Spain, this principality is a mere 468 square kilometers. Much of the nation's defense budget is spent on blank ammunition, which is fired off on national holidays.

I'd go for that one if your going to destroy one....but take your pick, I suppose. It's your motivation, not mine.
Sounds go to me.