Quantcast

Saturday ride, Chandler Park, Tulsa, OK

Cooter Brown

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2002
Snow Hall, tweakin on math
went on an afternoon ride here in Tulsa, solo and took a few pics of the rock formations along the Arkansas river. As I got to the top of the hill, I found that the whole peak of the hill had been dozed and trees removed in the path of...............wait, get this..........urban sprawl :angry: :angry: :angry: anyway, the pics..........

Attachments

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Cool Geology you have there. Can you show me on a map where that is? Those curly and swirly structures in that strata are called flames. Was that escarpment mined at one time? Is there any coal mines around there? I know they used to mine gypsum and calcite in your area.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Cool stuff man, at a glance it looks man made, like some old foundations of a house that got moved....

Last time i was in Oklahoma i spent a day checking out Mt. Scott and Medicine Park, some beatiful country around there.

Cooter Brown

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2002
jdcamb said:
Cool Geology you have there. Can you show me on a map where that is? Those curly and swirly structures in that strata are called flames. Was that escarpment mined at one time? Is there any coal mines around there? I know they used to mine gypsum and calcite in your area.

Cool deal, I was wondering if any :monkey: 's knew anything about the rock formations. It is located along the Arkansas River near Tulsa, Oklahoma. In the map I have pointed to the general area of it.

Attachments

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Cooter Brown said:
Cool deal, I was wondering if any :monkey: 's knew anything about the rock formations. It is located along the Arkansas River near Tulsa, Oklahoma. In the map I have pointed to the general area of it.
Well the only geologic map I could find of that are is lame. Sand Springs was named because of the sandstone outcroppings along the river. I guess they also have a lot of gravel pits in your area to go along with gypsum mines. Both used to make concrete. I can tell from looking at a aerial that there is some type of forestry/mining going on just west of the area you pointed out. It is possible the bluffs in your pics could have eroded that way if evidenced by other bluffs looking like that in other areas near there. I can't say for sure.

The state of Oklahoma keeps most geologic info close to the vest as they sell it to mining and oil companies. If the other outcropping in the area didn't look like that I would doubt that those slots in your pics would be from erosive action. Probably they mined that area for building materials as the type of sandstone is of a poor quality for mineral extraction (calcite and such). Early mining techniques usually follow faults in the rock so that they would seem uniform like your pics.

Those islands in the river are caused by stubs of limestone that are just below the sandstone along the banks. The limestone is more resistive to erosion then the sandstone on the bluffs (or whatever you call them in your area).

During the Penslyvanian era your area was formed under a massive sea and covers a huge area all the way to Arkansas and south to texas. The bluff in the open area follows the river and if there was dry creek beds in the area that run through those outcroppings to the river. That could also be the cause of those slots. Are there wavy marks on top of those outcroppings? Have you ever found any prehistoric footprints in that area? I am sure it is fossill central around there.

jdcamb

E

enkidu

The stone formation looks just like the "cultured (i.e. artificial) ledge stone" used for architectural embellishment. So that's what the real natural one looks like! That was our first choice for the lower edge of our new house that we are presently building, but we switched to "cultured fieldstone" instead.

Cooter Brown

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2002
enkidu said:
The stone formation looks just like the "cultured (i.e. artificial) ledge stone" used for architectural embellishment. So that's what the real natural one looks like! That was our first choice for the lower edge of our new house that we are presently building, but we switched to "cultured fieldstone" instead.

get a truck and drive here to oklahoma, and I can get you some for free, the real deal too:sneaky: