Quantcast

Saturday Tour of California

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Did anyone else catch the stage on tv? OH MAN, Rene Haselbacher attacked not far from the finishline. I don't know HOW he got off the front with the pace as high as it was, but he opened a nice gap and I thought for damn sure he was going to make it, but he got caught soooooo close to the line. Ooooof.

All in all, a great tour and I'm happy it finally happened.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
ghostrider was a volunteer at the finish line. They told him "don't look at the racers, look at the crowd". Hopefully they didn't have anyone looking at the volunteers because I bet ghostrider wasn't following the "rules" :D

ghostrider

7034 miles, still no custom title
Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
Echo said:
ghostrider was a volunteer at the finish line. They told him "don't look at the racers, look at the crowd". Hopefully they didn't have anyone looking at the volunteers because I bet ghostrider wasn't following the "rules" :D
Yup, I was standing right where he gapped the field. I thought for sure he had it. What a great race. I was trying to convince my wife that we need to head to Rodondo for the finish but it didn't work out. Anyway, the tv coverage was lame unless I missed something. They didn't even capture T-dog outside of Ojai with "Chickenhawk is Gay" chaulked onto the road.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Yah, the coverage wasn't "great", but at least there was some. I haven't watched the last stage yet, I taped it last night.

ghostrider

7034 miles, still no custom title
Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
Heidi said:
Yah, the coverage wasn't "great", but at least there was some. I haven't watched the last stage yet, I taped it last night.
It bugged me that we were in Santa Barbara, we go to commercial, then we are suddenly in Santa Paula. I was really looking forward to seeing them on some of the roads I've ridden regularly between SB and Ojai.

cliffster5

In dog years I'm dead
Aug 23, 2001
Salinas, CA
I was a course marshall in Monterey earlier in the week. Yeah, they told us the same thing about keeping our back to the course and facing the crowd. In my case I was up on a street standing next to a cop who had a bunch of cars at bay while I got to see everything flash by in 45 seconds. My daughter on the other hand was down in the volunteer booth 50 yds. from the rider check in... and she got to see it all. Even got Floyd's autograph. I'm praying that they use Monterey again next year as a staging city so that I can get myself firmly planted somewhere on Cannery Row where all the action is. I'm figuring there's no way they can cut out the Big Sur coast which means they'll have to use Monterey again. BTW, good thing they picked last week to ride. It's gonna rain all week in Cali this week. Someone said the figure of 2 million spectators was the estimate for the entire Tour. There's a stat to warm the heart.