Quantcast

Saturday Trail Ridin Pix Skookum Style

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
There's a section of trail called Fawn Ridge. It's pretty cool you get some good elevation about 1400 feet in 12 miles of road and forest road climbin. Definately some fun descending which will soon be snowed in and impossible to ride until the snow melt maybe in May or June of next year. Down at the base along the river is Skookum Flats trail which is always good for techy XC. All in all about 10 miles of singletrack in this of many loops in the area.

Towards the top we ran into the snow line. Crunchy goodness it made the last few miles a struggle to climb. We saw deer, elk, man, bird, and cougar tracks in the snow on the way up.

Rain was in the forecast.... meh....

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Snacks wisely dressing warm for the ride.

Trailhacker proving he's downhiller first and XCer second. :D He's so devout he brought his 50 lb. Demo 9 on a 15 mile trail ride with elevation a couple weeks ago haha.

After pelting them with crunchy snowballs they were too tired to retaliate haha. Trailhead tall tales....

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
FAWN RIDGE

It was great meeting and riding with Psychic Pimp! He was smooth pimpin his hardtail all ride long. :cool:

The trail is cool you're engulfed on forest mostly but there are a few clearcuts you run through and get a nice view on the way down.

Don't fear the downhill. :p

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
BurlyShirley said:
Dude, how did you not notice this? I just lightened it up a bit and BAM!
Seen a pair of elk. A huge doe and buck. True downhillers effortlessly run off the trail on verts and thru insane sections.

Now get outta my thread til i'm done dammit... :think: :p

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
RANGER CREEK AIRSTRIP

We flapped, and flapped, and flapped some more but we ran out of runway and didn't get airborne.... :(

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
SKOOKUM FLATS

Cross country goodness.

You can see the elevation we loose by seeing the Palasaides above, which in earlier pictures you see we're even with and actually above on the trailhead.

Techy XC is the best XC

What goes up....

Must go down....

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
And finally.......

done.

awesome ride everybody was perfect weather and a very cool ride. i'm glad i told my boss i couldn't work today! :evil:

J

JRB

Our ride pics sucked. It turns out that we ride too much on the rides to take pics though. I'll try again tomorrow, but cannot rival the goodness of Skookum's ride.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Kevin and I had a great time! Fawn Ridge is some great dh! Top it off with some of the greatest tech single track this side of the Mississippi and you have a great day of riding :thumb:

Not to mention getting some good chow at Wally's afterwards.....Oi I need to go to bed :dead:

Rip said:
Is that guy wearing a miniskirt?
:nope: :eek:
Skookum wouldn't let me ride with him in my pink tutu so I had to make do with the black mini. Sorry I had to spoil it with tights underneath. :D

Great ride! Good to meet Skookum, Snacks and Trailhacker. Rippin' singletrack, no broken bones and only very small amounts of blood spilled. :dancing:

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
Skookum, your boss just called me and said he saw this thread. Been nice knowing you, bud!:o:

So, glad I didn't join the party after all. I cleaned out the BB after talking w/ you last night and it's still real creaky/crunchy. Taking it apart again tomorrow to inspect the BB shell on the frame. I think (actually, I'm hoping) it's just the bearings in the BB though.

Good pics and looks like it was a fun one!:thumb:

splat

Nam I am
Those are sweet Skookum! Man I wish I had some elevation change like that around here to ride Only once have I been on a ride where ride through the snow line.

And Only Now do I find this out about RIP when I am suppose to be riding with him today!

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
looks like some nice riding.

I am gonna go write a country song about livin' in the flatlands & dreamin' of the mountain tops. Then I am going to Nashville baby!

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Yah mountains are good. But the snow takes over, making riding pretty much impossible for a good portion of the year up there. i rode this same trail with Vno last friday and the snow line was a few hundred feet above the trailhead. it doesn't take long and we get kicked out of the high elevation trails and i personally ride alot of XC on the lower levels, with gravity options becoming very limited in the winter/spring.
i missed riding alot of good mountain rides cuz of my broken leg this year, there are really so many awesome rides up there, many i've yet to ride. But it's alright the snow will melt and they'll still be there next year, except Ape Canyon/Plains of Abraham at Mt. St. Helens it's closed and may possibly be blown up. :mad: :p

Proof that it takes a long while for the snow to melt... Heres the ride i posted at the end of JUNE and the snow hadn't melted all the way off. This loop was done in the same area but on the ridge on the other side of the river valley.
http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89590&page=1&pp=15&highlight=ranger+creek

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Skookum said:
Yah mountains are good. But the snow takes over, making riding pretty much impossible for a good portion of the year up there. i rode this same trail with Vno last friday and the snow line was a few hundred feet above the trailhead. it doesn't take long and we get kicked out of the high elevation trails and i personally ride alot of XC on the lower levels, with gravity options becoming very limited in the winter/spring.
i missed riding alot of good mountain rides cuz of my broken leg this year, there are really so many awesome rides up there, many i've yet to ride. But it's alright the snow will melt and they'll still be there next year, except Ape Canyon/Plains of Abraham at Mt. St. Helens it's closed and may possibly be blown up. :mad: :p

Proof that it takes a long while for the snow to melt... Heres the ride i posted at the end of JUNE and the snow hadn't melted all the way off. This loop was done in the same area but on the ridge on the other side of the river valley.
http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89590&page=1&pp=15&highlight=ranger+creek
you dont carry a lighter in your pac? or maybe you should just get a battery powered blow dryer....that'll melt that white stuff.

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
my 2nd country hit will be about meltin the snow with my bic, after my dog died & the day my maw got out of prison after my truck got hit by a train cuz i wuz drunk.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
TN said:
my 2nd country hit will be about meltin the snow with my bic, after my dog died & the day my maw got out of prison after my truck got hit by a train cuz i wuz drunk.
cool i'll write a punk song about drinking so much that i have to let my dog drive and he sucks as a driver and we flip into a snow bank where i piss my moms name into the snow and light it on fire since i drank everclear and i find some comfy train tracks to pass out on.

Rip

Mr. Excitement
Feb 3, 2002
Over there somewhere.
splat said:
And Only Now do I find this out about RIP when I am suppose to be riding with him today!
The posts I made in here before this post, I was just teasing. Didn't want to be serious at all last night. There are a few ways to tell if I'm joking or if I am serious, it's all in the use of emoticons.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
looks like a good ride as usuall. I had unexpected plans so I was unavailable......

Atomic Dog

doesn't have a custom title yet.
Oct 22, 2002
In the basement at Weekly World News
Skookum flats... :drool: :drool: One of the most fun trails I've ever ridden.

Does SF get snowed in too, or is it rideable through the winter? I wouldn't mind making a trip over the pass this winter to ride that if it doesn't get buried.

me89

Monkey
May 25, 2004
asheville
wow looks like an awsome xc place. i would hate to climb that stuff with dh rig but with my xc rig i think it would be awsome. man what was the temp. we had people dressing like that here and it was a freezing 60 degrees. it might have even been 59 brrrrrrrrr.lol we were comming up on xc riders dressed like it was 0 degrees and we were all in shorts and short sleeves. panzy asheville xc riders.

Megan Black

I rocked whistler in a mini skirt and f$@* me boot
Jul 28, 2004
Beaver-town, OR
Psychic_Pimp said:
I had to make do with the black mini.
hay! looks like I've started a trend, soon ALL will ride in black minis, muahahahahah!!!

great pics skooks, riding in crunchy goodness sounds kinda fun :)

where will your weekend rides be now?

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Atomic Dog said:
Skookum flats... :drool: :drool: One of the most fun trails I've ever ridden.

Does SF get snowed in too, or is it rideable through the winter? I wouldn't mind making a trip over the pass this winter to ride that if it doesn't get buried.
Yah it get's snowed in usually from Nov/Dec to Feb/Mar it's cool to go when there's only an few inches of snow it turns super techy!

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Megan Black said:
where will your weekend rides be now?
Well the usual spots like the Cap, Lake Sawyer, Tape, Green, Galbraith so on so forth.... But i wanna go check out some XC trails in Anacortes, supposed to have some goodies there, but i really really wanna check out Mt. Constitution on Orcas Island, supposed to have some fun gravity there!!! :)

Megan Black

I rocked whistler in a mini skirt and f$@* me boot
Jul 28, 2004
Beaver-town, OR
Skookum said:
Well the usual spots like the Cap, Lake Sawyer, Tape, Green, Galbraith so on so forth.... But i wanna go check out some XC trails in Anacortes, supposed to have some goodies there, but i really really wanna check out Mt. Constitution on Orcas Island, supposed to have some fun gravity there!!! :)
Cool :) Well, make sure ya post when you go check those out, I'd like to tag along sometime!

splat said:
does this mean we have to wear the f*ck me boots too ?
if you have the skills, then rock them. just beware, it is tricky to rock eff mes on a bike! :p