Quantcast

Saturday

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Didn't do much today, did a bit of hedge trimming until the battery died then couldn't find the charger, went to get a rake, couldn't open the garage door.
Went and bought a rake, house sitting is fun.

I cooked a BBQ for tilers that were here, they were pretty happy to get a burger for lunch.
Couple of beers whilst sitting with the pooch and watching poltergeist.

pigboy

in a galaxy far, far away
I was going to take the youngest child out at 10am to do trash pickup, but the forecast says 100% rain until after noon time. Perhaps it's going to be wood shop project morning instead.

wife's recovery from surgery continues in a positive direction. :)

probably making mac & cheese for dinner as I have been informed that the 12-13 year old population is being augmented by a sleepover.

derp derp derp

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
As I suspected, our power outage all through the second half of yesterday was also the cause of the wildfire that torched some local trails - Dakota Ridge.
Screenshot 2023-04-01 070441.jpg

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
:wave:

Another red flag day. Christ Almighty, had it been bad the last couple days. Had been my intention to take the girls skiing this morning, but predicted sustained winds of more than 25mph all day at ski hill killed the motivation. Spring is dumb.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Um, for us East Coasters, what is a red flag day ?
It's supposed to act as a reminder for people not to do dumb shit, like having a bonfire, or welding outdoors etc etc.
They issue them when it's super low humidity, super strong winds.
Normally means the fire departments are going to be busy with wildfires.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
It's supposed to act as a reminder for people not to do dumb shit, like having a bonfire, or welding outdoors etc etc.
They issue them when it's super low humidity, super strong winds.
Normally means the fire departments are going to be busy with wildfires.
Ah, gotcha. I had to dump all my water out after some jaackass left their campfire burning on one of the windiest days on the hill. If we have red flag warnings then they’re treated like turn signals, no one uses them.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Ah, gotcha. I had to dump all my water out after some jaackass left their campfire burning on one of the windiest days on the hill. If we have red flag warnings then they’re treated like turn signals, no one uses them.
Of the two fires I saw mentioned on the news yesterday, there was the downed powerline one I mentioned above and the other was caused by a cigarette butt. Thankfully neither of them got out of control. But with the 70+mph winds yesterday it can easily turn into a couple of hundred thousand acres torched because of teh dumb.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
typically we use a red flag so signify combination of low humidity, high winds and low fuel moisture which adds up to extreme fire danger...Crown fires taking out 1000s of acres not fun. Although I do miss wearing yellow nomex and dragging hoses through the brush

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Of the two fires I saw mentioned on the news yesterday, there was the downed powerline one I mentioned above and the other was caused by a cigarette butt. Thankfully neither of them got out of control. But with the 70+mph winds yesterday it can easily turn into a couple of hundred thousand acres torched because of teh dumb.
In the South it’s common, as in daily, to see a driver flick a lit cigarette out the window.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Calm day ahead. decided last night not to ski, awoke to read nice snow totals at the hill. hmfph.

Might go car shopping today. I need a new ride.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006

Poops McDougal

moving to australia
May 30, 2007
Central California
Trying to pay bills this morning, but my bank's website is having problems. That means I don't have to pay them, right?

It's actually going to be a temperate, sunny day today. I should go for a ride, but I think we have a niece's birthday party to attend.

In the South it’s common, as in daily, to see a driver flick a lit cigarette out the window.
It's common out here, too. Even if the usually dry-ass foothills.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
rainy. probably painting some trim and fixing nail pops in ceiling later. looks like rock creek for some dh tomorrow...

and yeah, eff those cigarette flickers. i always flick the high beams and flip them off when i see it.